How Often Do You Weight/Measure Yourself?

Options
I was planning on weighing in once a week, and measuring every other week, but I'm getting antsy. I know it's my first week, and I don't want to be disappointed weighing in after only a few days, but I just wanted to get input to see what everyone else does!

Replies

• rmcounts84
    Options
    It's best to weigh yourself 1x a week. I do Wednesdays because it is in the middle of the week! Also, if you weigh yourself on Mondays, it would defeat the purpose of seeing how much you've lost because it's right after the weekends. Sometimes we go out to dinner, drink too much, eat too much, but if that happens, give yourself more time to workout, etc. That's why I do Wednesdays.. sometimes I'll weigh myself on a Wednesday then wait until next Thursday. It's all about patience. :)
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    At least 1 week, my trainer prefers every 3 weeks, she thinks the psychology of seeing a larger number helps. But if you're just starting or having trouble with a plateau, you may try once a week to make sure you are on track. Don't weight yourself daily, there is waaay too much fluctuation on a day-by-day basis (2-8 lbs). Also remember, that you can lose inches without losing as much weight. And inches is what other people see. :wink:

Congratulations on beginning your journey - just keep going, even after you stumble!
  • loisfritz
    loisfritz Posts: 20
    Options
    I am obessed with weighing myself and I know it is WRONG to weigh everyday... wish I could stop. I do measurements once a week. When I went to weight watchers I learned that once a month for measurements and once a week for week. I am mad that I can not resist every morning to getting on the scale...when I am in weight loss "MODE" wish when I was gaining back I would have gotten on the scale daily and maybe I would not be in this FAT FRUMPY position.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Once a week here. . . . we have a challenge going at work and everyone weighs in on Monday morning! It makes us think about how much abuse we do on the weekend!!

I sometimes sneak a peek at the gym during the week but only go by Mondays.
  • beaverfever5
    beaverfever5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily which I dont recommend, it can be very rewarding but sometimes very frustrating. Its a habit for me now.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but can handle the fluctuations I see- record my weight weekly. I record measurements monthly.

Good luck!
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning because it keeps me more accountable on a daily basis. I measure myself about once a month. Welcome to MFP and I wish you success!
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Sunday, but more importantly I document with pictures weekly. That is how you can see the physical changes your body goes through. It's all about composition anyway. I looked much better at 200lbs/14% body fat than at the same weight at 22% body fat. How you look, and feel has very little to do with what is on the scales. You can eat a lot of salt one day, and gain up to 5 lbs of body weight from retention.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Daily, but like everyone has said, be prepared to see the numbers go up and down. I usually only log once a week though. Fridays normally.
  • Eyestrain
    Eyestrain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh in once a week also.
  • lanakills
    lanakills Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm trying to do it once a month.
    The body weigh needs at least 3 weeks to be stable. And you do not get obsessed with the scale.
    As we say, the scale can lie but not your clothes ;-)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm closer to goal, I do it once a month now. I use to weigh once a week. I also take measurements once a month.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself everyday for the first two weeks. I got really depressed about how it was jumping around everywhere.

I recommitted myself and took my weight/measurements on March 9th and will re-weigh and measure on April 1st. Scales are EVIL and I quickly learned to hate mine. I am just trying to focus on eating better and working out. I figure on the 1st when I check-in, I should see some results and it will hopefully boost me up.

It's hard the first day or two, but it is getting easier for me to avoid the scale/measuring tape now.
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning because it keeps me more accountable on a daily basis. I measure myself about once a month. Welcome to MFP and I wish you success!

This is my procedure as well.
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only use Friday morning's weight as my official, weekly weigh in number. I need the accountability of daily weigh-ins. Right now I'm on a business trip, and I'm anxious that I haven't WI for two days because it gives me a preview - if I have been up since last week, at least I would know that I was trending up, and then tomorrow morning wouldn't be too much of a shock or disappointment. I don't usually let it get to me, though - I think my exercise plays with my head (or my hunger :-) more than my daily weight does.

I have not been measuring myself this go around on weight loss, but I have in the past, and that was monthly.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Once a week can be tricky since I tend to have high days and low days. If I always weighed on a high day, I would get discouraged. My doctor actually recommends weighing once per month for women since our bodies go through so many fluctuations throughout the month.

I weigh every day to keep track of fluctuations. I notice my weight tends to go down on Thursday and Friday and up on Tuesday, so I've learned not to get discouraged early in the week. It also lets me know when I've perhaps eaten too much sodium and/or need more water.

I take measurements once per month.