Plateau

Options
HI....any creative ideas on breaking a plateau? I have not gained or lost an ounce in the past week and a half! I've varied eating - some days higher calories, some days lower, started to add weight training again...and nothing. Even had a high sodium meal at night just to see if the scale moved in the morning and NOTA!! I do 4 days of walk/jog intervals on the treadmill for 30 min - 1 hr (also climb hills on treadmill). The days I do 30 min (2days), I am doing 30 - 45 min of weight training as well.

Getting frustrated, but still feeling positive :) That's half the battle right? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thinking of starting HIIT....

Thanks!
Laura :)

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    a plateau is not a week and a half. weight loss isn't linear, so it's entirely possible you may suddenly drop 3 lbs next week. keep doing what you're doing or drop an extra 50-100 calories if you want. if you still haven't seen a change in 6 weeks, come back
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    a week and a half is not a plateau. It is just fluctuation. Just stick to your plan.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing for 2 months.. if no change then I would change what your doing.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    one fast day per week.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I reached one too. When ever I reach one, I up the intensity of my workout.

I also reach a plateau when Aunt Flow visits. This last about 2 weeks where I dont loose any weight. After those two weeks, I loose about 4 lb + of water weight. I keep track of my cycle so I know whats going on.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Not losing for a week and a half is not a plateau. A plateau is when you see now change in weight for 4-6 weeks in a row.

You will not lose each and every week. Some weeks you will lose, some you will stay the same and some weeks you will gain. It is just how the body works. The body doesn' t always respond to the math of weight loss.

With a real plateau I have found the best way to get over it would be to eat at maintance for a week or two and than drop cals back down.

What are you eating? How much are you eating? What is your weekly weight loss goal set at? How much weight do you have left to lose? What exercise do you do? Do you eat back your exercise calories? How are you measuring calories burned?
  • barefootsoul91
    Options
    I am at a plateau too! But I have had my share of them. You may possible lose like 3-5 pounds in the next 2 weeks. You can also see my post called "Results!" in Motivation forum. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924496-results I literally JUST posted it!
  • Skip2mylou
    Skip2mylou Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you dont loose weight over a long periode of time it might be a good idea to "reset" or shake up the metabolism. Keep in mind that the body adapts to different scenarios, and the metabolism will eventually start slowing down. Eat for maintance for 2-3 days or add a refeed day 1 time each week, where you up the carbs abit and cut down on fat intake.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    What are you eating? It's 80% diet, 10% exercise and 10% genetics when looking at weightloss.