i think i am finally bored of the gym...help!

Options
SO, i've just managed to lose almost 4 stone in 8 months...i've gone from 185.5 pounds to 130 pounds. I drastically changed my diet. For a 5ft4 girl, i was eating several takeaways a week, pork pies, snacking on chocolate and biscuits, eating absolute CRAP basically. For 8 months ive been eating no more than 1000 calories a day and going to the gym 5/6 days a week....but that finally burnt me out a couple of months ago when i collapsed. I've gone 10lbs past my goal weight, so I am finally happy. I don't want to lose anymore, maybe just tone up.

I'm happy doing a couple of fitness classes a week (body pump, LBT) but when it comes to the actual cardio equiptment in the gym i am bored out of my mind. I work in a 9-5 office job 5 days a week, and i used to be so motivated to go to the gym and do a hard session. Now I just feel absolutely shattered and have no motivation or intention of wanting to gym whatsoever. I'm still gonna stick to around 1000 calories a day cos im happy with what i eat, im just sick of spending so much time burning myself out, im miserable, completely. I dread going to the gym, and i've had the past four days off...which is my longest break ever. However i do walk to and from work everyday, and i walk EVERYWHERE, as i don't drive, then do some weights when i get home (kettlebells, sit ups, dumbell lunges, planks)...............

if i cut out the gym so that i was only doing a class or two a week.......would i stay fit on the exercise/weights that i do on a day to day basis anyway? im just sick of people saying "youll feel up to it tomorrow!" "eat more and youll wanna go".......it hasnt helped. i want to ENJOY being thin. but i can't, i dont look forward to anything anymore cos i know that gym has to happen first. :(

HELPPPPPPPPPPP. the personal trainers at the gym just push me to carry on............but why the hell would i want to be this miserable for the rest of my life?

and id NEVER get back into rubbish eating habits, i love what i eat now!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I know you don't wanna hear this BUT u collapsed cause you are eating WAY too little. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I've been going to the gym for years and years (and walking outside) and although I get bored at times, I'm no where near collapse cause I eat! And I'm still maintaining at 126 pounds. And I fill myself up with good foods so I have tons of energy when I work out!
    EAT!!!!!
  • abijane02
    Options
    I know but can people please ignore the eating thing and answer my question...I dont want to go to the gym anymore lol I hate it!
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I know but can people please ignore the eating thing and answer my question...I dont want to go to the gym anymore lol I hate it!

So find something you enjoy doing and do that instead. I don't like cardio equipment either, so I walk/jog outside. Go for a bike ride. Start playing a sport. Take a dance class. Go for a hike. What activities have you always wanted to learn? Do those.

And no, I won't ignore the eating thing. If you are eating less than 1000 calories a day and working out six days a week, your body isn't getting enough fuel to do those workouts. I'd feel terrible working out at that intake level too.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

...and eat more.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Zumba?? It's fun and exercise :flowerforyou:

tumblr_mjdb0neNc71r34qiso1_500.gif
  • abijane02
    Options

So find something you enjoy doing and do that instead. I don't like cardio equipment either, so I walk/jog outside. Go for a bike ride. Start playing a sport. Take a dance class. Go for a hike. What activities have you always wanted to learn? Do those.

And no, I won't ignore the eating thing. If you are eating less than 1000 calories a day and working out six days a week, your body isn't getting enough fuel to do those workouts. I'd feel terrible working out at that intake level too.

Hence why I want to exercise less...
  • Rozieq84
    Rozieq84 Posts: 38
    Options
    If you can find an adult beginner ballet class that may do the trick. That's cardio & toning all at once, plus it will help your posture and flexibility. Or go for a pilates class - similar idea... cardio & toning using your body as it's own resistance. Or take up a hobby like social dancing, that way you can be out 'having fun' but also working out. Any kind of dance is going to help you tone & cardio at the same time.

Go get 'em! (though, seriously you may want to consider bumping up your calorie intake as well if only just to 1200. Where you are now is dangerously low to be on for a sustained period). Best of luck.
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you're collapsing and still refuse to eat more, not wanting to go to the gym is probably the least of your worries. Seek professional help for that eating disorder.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I find that a workout buddy really helps when I lose motivation. Usually we don't get de-motivated at the same time and can push each other through the funk.
  • mcsnoogins
    mcsnoogins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The eating thing is your main problem. No wonder you can't be arsed anymore. You need to take a serious look at that before you develop anorexia. It's not possible to run a car without petrol, just like it's not possible to move your body without energy. Change it a little bit slowly so it doesn't panic you, why not add 100 calories a day and keep everything else the same? You can burn that in 10 mins doing the easiest of exercise. If you are burning it off you will not get fat. You could eat 4000 calories a day and still not put on weight if you burn enough at the same time but you won't be able to burn anything if your body has no fuel in the first place. It will think you are starving and hold onto fat reserves whenever it can. Keep doing what you're doing and you will ruin al the progress you've made and end up miserable. Whats the point of knocking your pan in to shape your body how you want it if you are miserable all the time?

I think it's your mind that's stopping you enjoying the gym because your body is tired

Huge congratulations on your progress by the way! Well done!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

...and eat more.

QFT.

The (basic) science behind it is, muscle uses more calories to be maintained than fat, therefore you can eat more (as you build). The "problem" is, you will have to eat at a slight surplus to build muscle now that you've lost the weight. This typically leads to a cycle known as "bulk and cut".
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    OK, I know you dont want to hear the food thing, but if you are using the app correctly and putting in your active lifestyle, then it should NOT be telling you 1000 calories a day.( I am 5'2" and very active 5-6 days and my daily intake is 1570) You need to feed your body back those calories you have burned throughout the day. If you burn 600 calories in your workout, then you need to eat those back, plus your daily intake, you will not gain weight, but will see dractic improvement in your muscles, especially where you want to tone up what you have. Your muscles need that fuel to grow and stay strong. There are many things you can do at home that include cardio where you dont need to go to the gym. I dont think its that you are burnt out, its that you reached your goal and your mind is telling you, you dont need to go. Change your workouts...there are many videos you can buy that you can do at home and feel great. When I cant make it to the gym, then I pop in Hip Hop Abs or my Jillian Michaels videos and get my workouts in. Jillian has many different workouts...cardio, hips, butts and thights, abs and many more. If you have a local Walmart, check out what they have. Go for bike rides, walk the neighborhood, hiking, etc. There are many things you can do outside of the gym, just need to think outside of the box. Good luck!
  • whatthefitz
    Options
    I download audiobooks and listen to them while I'm doing cardio. It really helps pass the time on the machines if I can't get outside.

Eating a snack like a banana helps give me energy before working out too.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want people to comment on the fact that you're only eating 1000 calories a day then why bother to include it in your OP?

Try a group fitness class. EAT MORE.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'd like to revise my advice.

Let's change : "Lift weights. Eat more." to "Eat more. Lift weights."

Yea, that's better.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want people to comment on the fact that you're only eating 1000 calories a day then why bother to include it in your OP?

What I thought :glasses:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

It would be irresponsible to ignore it. Any diet that goes under 1200 calories will not get the needed nutrients your body needs to function. So you lost a bunch of weight and look great externally, meanwhile internally you're a disaster. So yes, you need to increase your calories, not blow off the gym.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You've got to mix things up a bit. I personally hate cardio machines and use them as a last resort if it is too bad weather to go outside. The best thing I did was to learn to love running/jogging. I started out walking HARD regularly for a couple of months and then I used the couch to 5k program (print it off the web for free or get an app for a smartphone for a couple dollars. Just google it first for the free version). This got me so hooked that I actually seek out times to run. (Believe me that never happened before. I always looked for the smallest excuse to NOT exercise). I use my iPod to listen to music, and just let my mind roam free, which is so good for stress relief.

Another good option is DVDs like Jillian michaels 30 day shred. Most of her DVDs include a good bit of cardio, plus there is some strength training included.

And sometimes you just have to push through and keep going. Some days I have to decide whether I'd rather cut calories or workout to maintain my calorie goal. Most days I choose eating and exercising over starving and resting, but some days the schedule doesn't even allow a workout, soooo. . .

But the best thing you can do when you are really in a rut is to take a couple of days off. It makes you feel in control again, instead of feeling like your fitness program is controlling you!

Good luck.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    you hate it because you dont have the energy because your body can't keep up with the demands youre placing on it.

Eat more. You are not doing yourself ANY favors now or in the long run. Eat more and you might find you enjoy the gym again because you have enough energy to actually do something worthwhile there
  • BlackField2
    Options
    If you are eating less than 1200 calories a day you shouldn't be going to the gym. Hell, you shouldn't be doing anything.

If you aren't enjoying the gym, bump your calories up to at least 1200 a day and don't go. If you want to start enjoying the gym again, bump your calories up to 1200+whatever you use up at the gym, then your body will enjoy the exercise, instead of telling you to stop or you'll die.

Listen to the advice from everyone in this thread. I had a friend who died from anorexia at 23. Anorexia is a serious problem, stop laughing it off op.