Squats

Options
I've just started weight training again after several years and I've always struggled with free standing squats. Does anyone have any advice on how I can do heavy squats with the correct form?

I'm ok lifting the weight and lowering the weight but haven't got the confidence to stand back up with the weight - does anyone have any advice they can give me to help me overcome this as I want to do heavy squats (the most I can do at the moment is a pitiful 46kg).

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    check out Squat RX on you tube pretty good series on you tube..

I know that I always want to feel like I am literally f'ing the air when I come back up..

hope this helps...
  • xija13
    xija13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Usually whenever I do them I try to put all the focus in my glutes and thighs and push as hard as I can. If I feel the weight is too heavy I go down by maybe 5 pounds (2kg) and try to do all I can. 46kg is not pitiful either! Especially if it's been several years.
  • cupulous
    cupulous Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Start where you are now, at 46kg, and add a little more weight every workout (5-10 lbs). You'll become used to, and more comfortable, with the weight.
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    Start where you are now, at 46kg, and add a little more weight every workout (5-10 lbs). You'll become used to, and more comfortable, with the weight.

Very well put. Find the comfort weight and work up from there.

Create a routine that you can work on. For instance, 3 squat workouts per week:

Week 1: Comfort weight for 5 sets of 8 reps
    Week 2: Increase weight by 5 - 10lbs and try to do the same 5x8

And the pattern continues. Make sure that before you increase weight you're able to do the 5x8 completely.
  • Nigelfightingfit
    Nigelfightingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    DONT DO HEAVY SQUATS, REALLY !!!

Start Light and work up and if you do eventually go heavy, make sure you are wearing a weight belt

3 Sets max

It is ever so easy to rip the muscles in the base of your back and we dont want that?
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I follow the Stronglifts method. You squat 3 days a week with a day off in between. Your first session you start with just the bar to get your form down. Then after completing each set of 5 successfully you add 5lbs on your next session. Still, you're focusing on form. By the time you're squatting heavy you're form is good.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Start Light and work up and if you do eventually go heavy, make sure you are wearing a weight belt

3 Sets max

It is ever so easy to rip the muscles in the base of your back and we dont want that?

Do you actually squat?

you don't need a weight belt unless you are doing near max weight- like a 1 rep max test, or heavy doubles/triples when training for a max attempt. For general fitness lifting like most people here do, the 5-10 rep range type of lifting, you don't need a belt. Not using the belt helps work your core better and make it stronger, including those lower back muscles.

The only way you will "rip the muscles in the base of your back" is if you use REAL bad form with way too much weight. If you work on form until it's 2nd nature, and then work on increasing the weight, it's unlikely that you'll have a problem tearing anything. I can say I've done literally thousands of reps of squats and have never torn anything, and for a long time a light squat day for me was over 400lbs.

Form and technique first. Every aspect of it, from where the bar sits on your back, setting up to unrack the bar, walking the weight out, foot placement, proper breathing, the actual lift itself, and reracking the weight. All of that is part of the form/technique needed to properly perform the lift. Perfect that, make it something you can do in your sleep, and the weight will come.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well it depends on how bad i have to go,, if i have a lot of whisky in me, who cares who sees me, i will squat anywhere.
    but i do prefere behind some trees. a safe haven.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Hire a trainer!!! He or she will ensure you do them with correct form and he or she will also encourage you and push you to new levels!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I follow the Stronglifts method. You squat 3 days a week with a day off in between. Your first session you start with just the bar to get your form down. Then after completing each set of 5 successfully you add 5lbs on your next session. Still, you're focusing on form. By the time you're squatting heavy you're form is good.

Very well said....also the aid of someone that is experienced to watch and assist is a plus. A trainer would be best.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    - Feet shoulder width apart or little wider, make sure you feel comfortable
    - Bar should rest on your traps, not on the base of your neck
    - When at the top of squat, do not lock legs out or throw hips forward
    - When lowering into squat, keep your butt back as if you are sitting down into a chair (practice without weight first), do not sink butt to the floor
    - Bottom of squat should be hamstrings parallel to floor or as far as you can go safely until you get the hang of proper form
    - Throughout entire motion, keep chest up and shoulders back (back will be slightly arched if you're keep chest up, shoulders back, and back strong)
    - Push through your heels on the way back up, stay on your heels throughout, not on toes or balls of feet.
    -Focusing on a point above the mirror will help you keep your chest up and will help you feel like it's easier to stand back up
    - Inhale as you lower your body and exhale through your mouth as you stand back up

ETA: There is nothing wrong with 46kg. You do the weight you can do comfortably and safely. You will work up to heavier weight. Just be patient and you will get there.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about adding weight until you have the form down. I've seen it mentioned here already and second the Stronglifts advice. There are a lot of videos on the site showing correct form. It's free and very informative.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    2 comments about a couple posts above.

Proper depth is not hamstrings parallel to the ground, it's the top of the thigh parallel to the ground. (technically, it's an imaginary line drawn from the top of the knee to the crease of the hips while you are in the bottom position). If people are using hammy's parallel as a depth gauge, then they are short changing themselves.

Squats are not a leg exercise, they are a full body exercise. Legs, glutes, back, obliques, abs. All of it. Also, it's nearly impossible to have your back straight up and down during a squat. You have to have some forward lean to keep the weight over your center of gravity. The key is keeping your back flat, or even better, arched, not rounded over. This is where sitting back and keepiing your chest out and your head up will help.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend finding a spotter, if you don't have one already.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I had to work on form when I started - so I began using the Smith machine (bar is attached to vertical stabilizers) - that way I didn't have to worry about the bar swaying and I could focus on my legs and back. Once I got used to the movement and could consistently balance the bar with my desired weight throughout the movement, I switched over to a regular squat rack.

Also - put a bench behind you and squat until your butt touches the bench (but don't rest there!). Good luck!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Lighten the weight and do some pause squats either to the rack or free. Lower the bar to the pins in the rack(or just lower the bar and sit), pause, then come up. Come up slowly, gradually accelerating, and keep tight.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've just started weight training again after several years and I've always struggled with free standing squats. Does anyone have any advice on how I can do heavy squats with the correct form?

I'm ok lifting the weight and lowering the weight but haven't got the confidence to stand back up with the weight - does anyone have any advice they can give me to help me overcome this as I want to do heavy squats (the most I can do at the moment is a pitiful 46kg).

Do you know how to back bail? If you can't to the point where you can't get back up back bail. Knowing that you have a way out from under the weight is always comforting. If you get stuck in the squat and get get out you throw the bar backwards. Or get a spotter to help you.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    2 comments about a couple posts above.

Proper depth is not hamstrings parallel to the ground, it's the top of the thigh parallel to the ground. (technically, it's an imaginary line drawn from the top of the knee to the crease of the hips while you are in the bottom position). If people are using hammy's parallel as a depth gauge, then they are short changing themselves.

What I meant was, make a 90 degree angle or go as low as you can. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear, but this person is clearly struggling with getting low enough so I don't think this clarification is all that useful to them at this point. Also, some people would argue hamstrings or quads parallel are so close to the same thing it's an immaterial point to argue.