No progress after 1 month on here.

Options
I am 5'2, 34, and have been stuck at 135lbs for the past 6 months. 6 weeks ago I started working out on my elliptical 30 min per day 5 days per week. 1 month ago I joined MFP and have been logging my calories on top of working out. I added weight training this week. Last week I got down to 132.7. This week back up to 134.2. What gives!! I am so sick of this fluctuation and not seeing any results. I am really trying and this is so depressing.

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You've only got 15 pounds to lose, so I'm sorry to say it's gonna take a while. If you added weight training, your body is probably not used to the change made and is retaining a bit of water - keep up the weights and the elliptical - your exercise schedule is spot on!

Now. For the diet. Set your MFP settings to lose .5lbs/week and before you go saying that's too slow and that the calories are too much, trust me. Eat those calories + your exercise calories (or 1/2 if you aren't using a HRM). Set your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat and hit your macros. I have no clue what you are eating now, but try and decrease the amount of processed foods in your diet. Drink a TON of WATER - I mean drink more water than you ever thought possible, then more. Rinse and repeat until you get to your desired weight - trust me, it's gonna be slow but it will work. Don't get on the scale more than once a week (weighing more isn't going to make it come off faster). Most important - be PATIENT and CONSISTENT. Your body will thank you!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What about non-scale differences like feeling stronger, more resistance,
    feeling lighter, less bloated, measurements...???

Those are all important too, and I'm sure you must be feeling some kind of difference.

(and everything Kristen said)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It's typical to see a weight increase when you begin weight training. Your body holds fluid around the stressed muscle to repair and rebuild it. That's a good thing!

My advice is to cut your cardio back to 2-3 days and make your priority 3 days of good weight training. Employ your tape measure and track your progress that way for a few weeks. Don't worry about the scale for now.

But stick with it! Weight training will change the way your body looks. Don't give up on it.

Good luck.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    To get some real advice I suggest opening up your diary so we can see what you are consuming.

At your weight with not a lot to lose you need to get some strength training going, cardio alone is not going to get you the results you want.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The only thing the scale can tell you is your personal relationship with gravity. It cannot tell you that you've lowered the amount of body fat you have, it cannot tell you how much water you are holding onto, it cannot tell you that you are building muscle. I guarantee if you saw a before picture of yourself and compared your body now to that photo, you'd be able to tell a difference. Don't focus so much on the scale, instead rely on how much better you feel, how much more energy you have, how you FEEL healthier.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I'm going to give you that link :) We are friends so I can see your diary and you do eat pretty well, not enough in my opinion, but what you do eat is good! You may want to get in a little more protein. I was stalled at the same weight, right around where you are actually, for almost 3 months. When you don't have much to lose it makes it harder.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a change in your overall health? Maybe you're got more energy, feeling stronger? Have you checked your measurements? I've seen a lot of change in my measurements, but not on the scale before!
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "The only thing the scale can tell you is your personal relationship with gravity." That sentence is going in front of my mirror. The scale is important, but I loose sight of the fact that other measurements also count, not the least of which is how much better I feel physically when I'm active.

The other thing to consider is that if you are doing the same type of exercise all the time, your body gets used to it and becomes very efficient at that one activity. Maybe you are ready to add variety?

For myself, I'm still trying to get myself to workout several times a week, so staying on the treadmill is a sufficient challenge. But hang in there and remember that you may not be where you want to be, but you sure are happy to not be where you were!
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    You've only got 15 pounds to lose, so I'm sorry to say it's gonna take a while. If you added weight training, your body is probably not used to the change made and is retaining a bit of water - keep up the weights and the elliptical - your exercise schedule is spot on!

Now. For the diet. Set your MFP settings to lose .5lbs/week and before you go saying that's too slow and that the calories are too much, trust me. Eat those calories + your exercise calories (or 1/2 if you aren't using a HRM). Set your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat and hit your macros. I have no clue what you are eating now, but try and decrease the amount of processed foods in your diet. Drink a TON of WATER - I mean drink more water than you ever thought possible, then more. Rinse and repeat until you get to your desired weight - trust me, it's gonna be slow but it will work. Don't get on the scale more than once a week (weighing more isn't going to make it come off faster). Most important - be PATIENT and CONSISTENT. Your body will thank you!

OP - Have you ever considered your insulin resistance? Unused glucose will store as fat on the body...daily. This happens whether you eat 500 or 5000 calories. You should get tested or if diabetes runs in your family then you should definitely see a physician. Calories matter and so does Metabolic Rate and so does Insulin Resistance. (80/20-Diet/Exercise) I can bet that if your diet is regulated and you still are not seeing results then calories aren't the issue here.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options