Question About C25K

Options
Hi there - I just started the C25K program, this is my first week, and I was just wondering if it's bad to do the three workouts for the week back to back & not every other day? As in: W1D1 (Tuesday), W1D2 (Wednesday), W1D3 (Thursday)....

I just like doing this workout outside & not in a gym - so I'm trying to work with the weather here lol

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it's better to allow a rest day when you first start out. Seasoned runners often run every day but it's hard on your body and something you should work up to. You can always do a brisk walk on your in between days but it's really better to do a totally different type of exercise on those days. Work on some strength training instead.

I understand working around the weather for outdoor runs but if you get injured it won't matter what the weather is.
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25K also. I am on week 5 day 1. I believe every other day of the program is better for a beginning runner. The possibility of injury is really big if done on consecutive days. Nothing is more discouraging that a case of shin splints or something worse. My biggest concern is injury so I am following the program to a T. I don't want to be sidelined when I am making such good progress.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've completed it and actually doubled every day. So I was running 6 days a week. I was very lucky that I didn't injure myself. If you're just starting out, take those rest days and give yourself a day off in between runs. As you get into the longer runs your body will need the rest.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Generally, beginners should not run on consecutive days. Your body needs time to adjust to the new activity.

You don't necessarily have to rest on non-running days, though. If you don't want to go to the gym, ride a bike, go for a walk, do a body-weight circuit at the park, etc.
  • blbower2
    blbower2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi there,
    last time i did C25k, i was running on back to back days and developed sharp, stabbing pains in my left knee. i kept running on it, thinking it was nothing and would go away. i ended up not being able to run for 2 months...so if you can, rest! :-) not saying this will happen to you, but it is much better in the beginning to rest for a day in between and let your body build up. i agree with what other people on here have said, to walk or strength train or cross train on your off days.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I'll just do my Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred today instead :tongue: *dies* lol