The Scale - Help?

Options
Okay, so I've been using a couple at my gym, but I know that one or both aren't particularly accurate due to them weighing me about two pounds different within half an hour and plus, it's frowned upon to weigh naked in the cardio room :laugh:

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a scale for my dorm room. I want a decent, accurate one and I'm on a college kid budget, so cheap is wonderful. Budget can hold, I suppose, up to about 50 dollars. More is doable, less would be great. Suggestions for brands? Things to look for? Scales to avoid?

Replies

• freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    can't suggest any particular brand over the other for accuracy personally.

50 bucks should get you a decent scale though. i think the one i got is pretty accurate and does a bodyfat measurement. can't remember the brand name. i'd just get on amazon and read all the reviews. i think i got mine shipped for under 30
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I got a pretty decent one on amazon called Taylor Digital body fat scale, it seems to work good only it tells you everything in KG and so you gotta go online and convert it to Lbs.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I found a Weight Watchers scale for 20 or 30 bucks at BB&B. Does BMI and bodyfat "estimates", too, though I don't take those too seriously.
  • laceymcmath
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers brand digital scale... I love it. It doesn't do anything fancy, but it tells you your weight accurately.

Honestly, I "inherited" it from my parents so I'm not sure how much it cost, but from searching them online I think they're in the $30-$40 range.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like Taylor lithium scales and mine recently stopped working (After having it for almost 5 years) but I just ordered a Eatsmart Precision Plus because of all the good reviews on Amazon. With Shipping it was $36.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The EatSmart bathroom scales are decent and have a range of options. You can find them on amazon.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363271119&sr=8-1&keywords=eatsmart+scale

Can't attest to its accuracy yet, but I researched scales and this seemed to be the best one.
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't flame me, because I'm going to recommend one out of your budget:
    The Fitbit Aria.
    Retails around $130, I paid $100 on sale, might find it cheaper on-line.
    Why I love it:
    It syncs through wi-fi to fitbit.com, and you can link fitbit and mfp, so you never have to enter weight again. And you can't cheat, it is what it is.
    Up to 8 different people can weigh on the scale and get results at fitbit.com. Maybe some friends can chip in on it, and y'all can decide who keeps it at the end of the term?
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    it's frowned upon to weigh naked in the cardio room :laugh:

Sadly not the case in the changing room :S
    I really don't mind nudity but it's awkward trying to weigh yourself when someone is right behind you waiting and peering without a stitch of clothes on.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why not keep using one of the scales at the gym? Don't weigh on multiple scales. SHould you buy a scale yours will weigh you at a different weight than the one at the gym.

I have a scale at home. I can't remember the brand. You can just get a basic one if you really want to have one at home. Mine will weigh me two different weights within a few mins of each other as well.

Any basic scale will work. You don't need a fancy one. Those that measure body fat % and such are not accurate measurements.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Save yourself money and space and choose one scale at the gym. The actual number isn't all that important. What matters is that it is moving in the right direction.
  • jjhall
    jjhall Posts: 1
    Options
    Similar to McSpike's recommendation, I'm going to recommend another one out of your budget. I broke down and bought the Withings WiFi scale a couple of months ago and I love it. Retail price is $160, but it can be had on sale at $30 or so off if you watch for it. It also links with myfitnesspal among other services and has the ability to keep track of multiple users. It also uses the electrical pulse to estimate body fat for what its worth. I love it that I just step on it, let it do it's thing, and it is logged for me. I don't have to remember to go grab my phone immediately to log it, or try to remember what it was later on. It is expensive, but for me the convenience factor offers a lot of encouragement to keep using it, so I'm more likely to stick with my overall program and not slip up.

The scale I used prior to this one was a Taylor brand glass-top scale I picked up at Costco a couple of years back. If I remember right it was in the neighborhood of $35 or so. It worked flawlessly and is very accurate. This is probably the best route to take if you can't spring for one of the WiFi scales at this point. It doesn't do the body fat measurements, but that isn't all that important anyway unless you're near your goal and are trying to increase weight without adding fat. I don't see it on Costco's website any more, but here is another vendor that has it: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/taylor-7519.html?gclid=CI261qK5_LUCFUhgMgodN1UA2A

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I'm in the EatSmart scales camp. I just got mine about three weeks ago, after my 8-10 year old Weight Watchers scale showed I gained 2.8 lbs in a week, a week I would call my best at that point. There are several kinds, mine is Precision Get Fit Digital Body Scale. I like it, it gives me consistent readings, the old one would jump around several pounds over a few minutes.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Save your money and just stick with on specific scale at the gym. As long as you weigh in on the same scale every time it doesn't matter if it's a bit out it will still show losses or gains the same.

I think getting one in your dorm room will just have the negative effect of making you scale obsessed.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    it's frowned upon to weigh naked in the cardio room :laugh:

Sadly not the case in the changing room :S
    I really don't mind nudity but it's awkward trying to weigh yourself when someone is right behind you waiting and peering without a stitch of clothes on.

I'm not QUITE that comfortable with my body, hahah. That's actually the main reason I want to get one of my own, to weigh - um, just myself - rather than having to guess and check with shoes, hoodie etc. And so I can have a way to check my weight regularly, on a weekly schedule, rather than just whenever I remember, as it is now.
  • maeck
    maeck Posts: 7
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363283551&sr=8-2&keywords=eatsmart+scale

I've had this one from Amazon for a couple of years. It's $36 and has been very accurate and has held up well.