Is my trainer right? Weights...

Options
I hired a personal trainer for 8 sessions so I could learn how to lift weights. I have done cardio and don't need any help with that, but weights was just too confusing for me to figure out by reading about it. So I hired her. I am in so much pain from my first two sessions with her I can't even explain it, I'm sure that's a good thing though.

My question is the amount of reps she has me doing. It just seems like a lot from different things I have read. And I just don't know how I am going to do that many as the first two sessions were more just teaching me, so I didn't even do 1/2 of how many she wants me to be doing, and I could hardly do it. I know for a fact I won't be able to do how many reps she wants me to do at the weight she wants me to do it. Of course when I told her that she does the whole "Yes you can! We ARE going to do it, you can't give up, blah blah blah"

Anyway, I will just give you an example of day one:

Back And Shoulders

Close Grip Lat Pull-downs 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy weight x3

Standing Lat Press 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy x3

Lying Dumbbell Pullovers 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy x3

Seated Single Arm Rows 3 sets of 8 reps each arm, heavy

Low Back Extensions on Ball 10 reps x3

Seated Shoulder Press with Bar 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy weight x3

Upright Rows with Bar 5reps med weight, 8 reps heavy x3

Dumbbell front raises 8 reps each arm 3 sets light/med/heavy

Dumbell side raises 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3

Rear Delt Cable Rows 3 sets, 8 reps each arm heavy

Dumbbell shrugs 5 reps med, 8 reps heavy x3

So since I have never ever done any kind of weights I really have no idea if this is normal or not? The 3x's of 8 reps of heavy is just hard for me to wrap my head around. Since I only did the one rep and could hardly do that I just don't see doing 3 reps of them! Will I just get better?

Replies

• Christiethorn1
    Christiethorn1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a little surprised she has you doing 3 reps for your 1st time lifting ever. I started strength training using the biggest loser book, it always has people starting with one rep as a beginner, then two as you get stronger for the intermediate and finally the final stage, advanced, is 3 reps. How much is she having you lift, I have been doing it for a while. The most I can do with my arms with free weights is 10lbs, 8lbs and shoulders I am lucky to do 5lbs.
  • BlackField2
    Options
    I am a little surprised she has you doing 3 reps for your 1st time lifting ever. I started strength training using the biggest loser book, it always has people starting with one rep as a beginner, then two as you get stronger for the intermediate and finally the final stage, advanced, is 3 reps. How much is she having you lift, I have been doing it for a while. The most I can do with my arms with free weights is 10lbs, 8lbs and shoulders I am lucky to do 5lbs.
    I think you are getting reps and sets mixed up.

OP, I can't see anything wrong. 8-12 reps is about the level anyone should be doing in the gym(though a couple of muscle groups are different), 2-3 sets is about correct. You also have some warm up sets, which is good.
  • Christiethorn1
    Options
    Yes, I did mix up reps and sets. Beginning 1 set for about 12 reps. Intermediate 2 sets for 12 reps. Advanced 3 sets for 12 reps.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Have you lifted weights before? If not, then yes, those rep ranges are on the low side. If you're a beginner you want to be in the 8-12 or 12-15 range. You have to realize that it's not just your muscles you're trying to strengthen, but also your joints, tendons, and ligaments, which at first will respond better to a higher rep range (12-15). Once you have some time with weight under you belt, then you can should definitely explore the lower rep ranges. I've been lifting a while and my range is anywhere from 3 reps (on the compound lifts) up to 15 reps (shoulder side lateral raises and some other isolation lifts).
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm just going into my second week. I have been advised to do 3 sets, 15 reps light, 12 med and 10 heavier. Starting to get used to my weight numbers already so hoping to meet up with my trainer soon to mix it up!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Will I just get better?

Yes you will - and it will be way quicker than you think.

My first day in gym, trainer put me on the shoulder press machine - had me do 3 sets of 10 reps. I couldn't finish the 3rd rep...with NO weight LMAO. I was sooo embarrassed. After weeks I had seen a significant improvement. Within a couple of months I could get 150 up for 10 reps...then I moved on to non-machine dumbbell shoulder press.

It shocked me how weak I initially was and how quick (relatively) my strength built though.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I would say that it's most important to get your form down before you start adding weights. Given you have your trainer there to help correct any breaks in form, but definitely would wait to add much weight at all.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is that is just a ton of volume, with mostly redundant isolation exercises. Beginners (and all lifters really, but experienced lifters already know this) should have a core of compound lifts. You have 1 in there, and it's a seated press. Do them standing up and help build your core too.

A back day without deadlifts? 5-6 different lifts for shoulders, which are a small muscle group? Multiple row/pulldown/pullovers to work every angle but no barbell rows?

This type of routine is how people get discouraged and quit.

As a beginner, I wouldn't even consider a split routine where you are doing back/shoulders on 1 day, and then whatever else they have you doing on other days. Full body with compound lifts will get you better results in a more efficient manner.

Deadlift
    Standing Military Press
    Lat Pulldowns/Chinups and/or barbell rows

Hit those lifts good and hard and they will do everything that laundry list of exercises will do, with better effect.

I know it's the standard response, but look into the 5x5 type of program. It's really a nice program for beginners/intermediate lifters. Even for more experienced lifters, it has everything you need to make gains. Tell your trainer you want to learn proper form on squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and barbell rows. If they can't help you, find someone who can.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's fine, not the greatest routine out there but definitely not the worst I've seen.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is that is just a ton of volume, with mostly redundant isolation exercises. Beginners (and all lifters really, but experienced lifters already know this) should have a core of compound lifts. You have 1 in there, and it's a seated press. Do them standing up and help build your core too.

A back day without deadlifts? 5-6 different lifts for shoulders, which are a small muscle group? Multiple row/pulldown/pullovers to work every angle but no barbell rows?

As a beginner, I wouldn't even consider a split routine where you are doing back/shoulders on 1 day, and then whatever else they have you doing on other days. Full body with compound lifts will get you better results in a more efficient manner.

Deadlift
    Standing Military Press

Hit those lifts good and hard and they will do everything that laundry list of exercises will do, with better effect.

I know it's the standard response, but look into the 5x5 type of program. It's really a nice program for beginners/intermediate lifters. Even for more experienced lifters, it has everything you need to make gains. Tell your trainer you want to learn proper form on squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and barbell rows. If they can't help you, find someone who can.

i do stronglifts 5x5 and i love it.
  • Christiethorn1
    Options
    What are stronglifts 5x5
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer for 8 sessions so I could learn how to lift weights. I have done cardio and don't need any help with that, but weights was just too confusing for me to figure out by reading about it. So I hired her. I am in so much pain from my first two sessions with her I can't even explain it, I'm sure that's a good thing though.

My question is the amount of reps she has me doing. It just seems like a lot from different things I have read. And I just don't know how I am going to do that many as the first two sessions were more just teaching me, so I didn't even do 1/2 of how many she wants me to be doing, and I could hardly do it. I know for a fact I won't be able to do how many reps she wants me to do at the weight she wants me to do it. Of course when I told her that she does the whole "Yes you can! We ARE going to do it, you can't give up, blah blah blah"

Back And Shoulders

Close Grip Lat Pull-downs 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy weight x3

Seated Shoulder Press with Bar 8 reps light weight, 5 reps med weight, 8 reps heavy weight x3

So since I have never ever done any kind of weights I really have no idea if this is normal or not? The 3x's of 8 reps of heavy is just hard for me to wrap my head around. Since I only did the one rep and could hardly do that I just don't see doing 3 reps of them! Will I just get better?

is this one session?!
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Back And Shoulders

Seems good to me. Are you looking for a reason to quit which is why you are asking this question?
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    check out the body for life training program.lite weight for first rep then increase the weight each set but lower the reps.12.10.8.6 then 12 again at starting weight.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Deadlift
    Standing Military Press

^^^This. I do Starting Strength, which is similar to Stronglifts 5x5. All compound exercises, no BSing around with a bunch of isolation work. I love it. Full body is worked each session. I add warm ups and finishers, and usually add some pull up practice.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It looks like a lot when you write it out like that, but I went through and it's not much different than what I do except for working shoulders and back on the same day, which I don't. But... did you go over what you wanted out of weightlifting when you started with her? (This should be one of the first things she asked at your first meeting, if not, that reflects poorly on her.)

It's not really a beginner program. It'll work, and it will probably get you where you want to go eventually, but there are better and more efficient ways to do that. The 3x8, though, that part's fine, and you'll progress faster than you think you will because in the beginning a lot more of it is teaching all the muscle fibers to work together than it is actually making them stronger.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    What she's doing seems fine other than it seems like it would just be a hell of a lot easier and more efficient to hit all those muscles with compound lifts.

Agree with checking into stronglifts @ stronglifts.com.

That said you will get more used to the workout she's got you on. But it seems like a lot of isolation work but the rep ranges are good.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Have you lifted weights before? If not, then yes, those rep ranges are on the low side. If you're a beginner you want to be in the 8-12 or 12-15 range. You have to realize that it's not just your muscles you're trying to strengthen, but also your joints, tendons, and ligaments, which at first will respond better to a higher rep range (12-15). Once you have some time with weight under you belt, then you can should definitely explore the lower rep ranges. I've been lifting a while and my range is anywhere from 3 reps (on the compound lifts) up to 15 reps (shoulder side lateral raises and some other isolation lifts).
    This is GREAT advice. We often overlook our joints, tendons and ligaments and that will get a beginner injured rather quickly. If you are a beginner, you want a little higher reps with lower weight and use a progressive loading workout. Don't get in a big hurry to increase your volume too quickly.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Deadlift
    Standing Military Press

Great advice.

IMO this routine makes next to no sense considering you're classified as a beginner... 33 sets!? You do not need 5 exercises for shoulders which are a smaller muscle group then back. Also, they are nearly all isolation exercises.. you will get more bang for your buck with compound movements.