frustrated please help

Options
ok so i decided in november to start going to a tops club (take off pounds sensibly) all i have got done doing is yo yoing. i am gonna be 35 in june i wanna see a difference in my self i weigh 256 i'd love to weigh 200 or below by my birthday. My husband is not supportive and i wanna prove to myself i can do this. I have lower back problems so certain exercises are a no go i was doing zumba but after a few days of doing it my back hurts so much i wanna cry. i watch what i eat. so please if anyone can give me some ides on how i can loose that what and what exercise's i can do that won't aggravate my back i'd be very grateful!

Replies

• evey591
    evey591 Posts: 2
    Options
    Make a meal plan! Also drink lots of water to make you feel full plus bananas can make you eel full aswell! Dont eat fatty foods either! Good luck!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    water based exercises if you have access to them are great on the lower back. And I dont know what specific back you have but I found that bikram yoga and resistance training helped the most with me, I used to have a lot of lower back problem both from carrying so much weight and inactivity - weight reduction comes with time but the stretching and strengthening of my back has helped a ton.

training my back for about 2 years now has really really helped my posture and I have virtually no pain anymore - that being said if you have something like disk degeneration - this may not be the best advice.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here is what to eat. Lean protean as the foundation of every mean (chicken, fish, pork loin, etc) all the veggies and greens you want. Some fruit but it is not all you can eat. A limited amount of whole grain. No starches.

Snacks are veggies, experiment with them, find ones you like. As you get away from junk food you tastes will change and you eventually will prefer the healthy stuff, but you got to stay off junk food to get there.

Find a way to exercise - movement it the magic pill. Start by walking. Don;t over do it too early. As you get stronger increase the duration and pace. As you loose weight your back will get better and eventually you'll be able to do even. But start today, don't over do it and keep it up over the long term.
  • giovadani
    giovadani Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Giovanna and I think the best option for you will be to start with the eliptical machines not the treadmill but the one you go up and down with your legs and use yoour arms. I dont remember the name. To my expirience is much better to use it, you loose more calories with these machines then runing in the treadmill. you are less tired, does not put pressure in your back is actually good for your back, and is also more fun. try it I know you would like it.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I started this journey a year ago at 245 lbs and also with lower back problems. I had a pinched sciatica that ran all down my leg and made the bottom of my foot numb. Just follow the MFP plan and eat sensibly. When I first started I walked a lot...I walked several miles during week (spread out) and on the weekend I did a very long walk and would increase it about 1 mile each weekend. Eventually I was walking about 5 -8 miles in one day! Then...as the weight came off I walked more briskly walking with weights in my hands...then jogging/walking.

Also water exercises help as well and yoga. Let me tell you that my sciatica only acts up now only when the weather is bad on TOM...and it's no where as bad as when I was heavy. The bottom of my foot is no longer numb! :D I'm around 200lbs right now and that lost weight has helped my back pain tremendously.

I know the back ache can make you want to give up. I would tell people it's a double edge sword. I needed to loose the weight to get better, but the exercise would kill me. Just fight through it as best you can. Ice it, lay your feet up when you sleep on your back. I know...I spent many nights crying myself to sleep in pain, but don't give up. Just know your limit of pain and work through it each day. Best of luck to you!!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. :)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It is hard to tell what is going on, because your diary is private, but here is what worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Figure out your BMR and TDEE.

Losing weight is simple math (pending any medical issues that make weight loss challenging - like thyroid issues/etc. It is always best to see your doctor before starting). After reading the link you will know more. I eat at about 20% under my TDEE and lose about .5-1 pound a week. Which is a realistic goal. I used to be a chronic yo-yo'er, until I had my AHA moment with the link above. It isn't about sabotaging myself and my goals with a very low calorie diet only to binge later on in the week.

Good luck on your journey.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein shakes? I've lost 26 lbs in 8 weeks doing 2 shakes a day and a healthy meal at supper....If you need extra support please add me! I'm not an expert, but love to encourage and motivate others. We can always troubleshoot together :)
    ~Christi

Not here to toot my own horn, but thought I'd give some encouragement to my friends. This photo is results of the last 8 weeks.
    before180sideoverlay_zpsfb8f9edb.jpg
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi TKlynn, your back is hurting because of the weight.. before I started my journey, my back, hips, knees it all hurt I can relate and by losing the weight has soo helped diminish the pain. The important thing here is no quick fix DIET (see the first 3 letters) its a lifestyle change of eating healthy, working out , and keeping accountable with a support person you can friend req me on facebook my email is donna1432@comcast.net. This is a great start to log in your foods and track what your eating you will be surprised when you look back and see what your eating. Also if you add me here as your friend I can help watch what your eating and advise what worked for me.. again its about eating Healthy and enough food.. most often peopel arent eatin enough calories and they are storing fat :(.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Get your TDEE - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Make sure you eat around 1000 calories less per day if you want to lose about 2 pounds per week. Set reasonable macro nutrient goals and make sure to get close to them.

Persevere and do not give up. Be consistent. If you can't exercise or don't want to exercise, you don't have to. Your primary focus should be on nutrition and eating well. Exercise can come later, but remember to adjust your TDEE accordingly. I know MFP tries to do all this for you, but I like the control I have with the more information I know.