Frustrated! >:-|

Options
13»

Replies

• tryinghard71
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? I lost a few cm one week and didn't shift any weight.

^^
    Agree. I was not losing on the scale but was losing inches.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It seems like it is most likely water weight. Drink lots of water.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If it's only been two weeks since you made the changes, then it's water weight.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I too, started strength training recently and my weight went up almost 7 pounds. Two months in and it is coming down almost as fast as it went up and I look a lot different. So regardless of what your scale says, just keep at it. You won't be sorry.

ETA: Also, I am 5'0" tall and weighing 151.5 (today), I eat between 1500-1700 calories a day of mostly healthy foods.
  • BigeaterMatt
    BigeaterMatt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As another member said, you can't gain muscle on a deficit. People are telling you what you want to hear instead of what the most likely scenario is. Even then producing several pounds of muscle in such a short span of time is anything short of impossible.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I agree about the calories many have spoken of. I don't really think you are eating enough. I also feel like, and forgive me if I'm wrong, you are approaching this as a quick fix and a temporary way of life. You are being way too depriving, which in itself is not sustainable. In order to stick with this change for LIFE you must enjoy your food as well as receive sustenance from it. If you aren't enjoying what you eat, you will begin to stray back into the habits that got you overweight in the first place. I so admire you taking control before you were 100 pounds over weight.

Be nice to yourself, keep up your hard work, drink plenty of water, eat well, and play a little. Working out is great and I love it, and recommend it, but you can do fun things too. Ride a bike, play tennis, go roller skating, do things that make you move and laugh. A night of dancing is one of my favorite break up the routine things around.
  • sophcath123
    Options
    Like Charles said...it's only been 2 weeks! Your body will do all sorts of things to compensate for the shock but it is impossible you've gained 3 lbs of muscle and even less likely you've gained 3 lbs of fat. Forgo the scale and bring out the tape measure. Don't try too much too fast or you'll get discouraged. Think of it as a long term lifestyle change and don't give up.
    Also, don't starve yourself but do cut out any refined sugars and any extra salt and make sure you're eating a balanced lean protein and carb ratio. Take it easy on the fruits and eat more veggies.

You're obviously working hard and on the right track to get yourself healthier so please don't give up. Jump on the scale after a month and I bet you'll have a pleasant surprise :)
  • tecman1007
    Options
    In all honesty despite what anyone on here says or claims, the only true way to lose weight is to maintain a caloric deficit. Go online and calculate your BMR or basal metabolic rate. It basically states roughly how many calories your body burns in a 24 hour period. Me for example....I burn roughly 1700 calories a day. Throw in my exercising each day and I burn around 2400-2700 calories a day. Now if I only intake say...1500 calories a day than that would leave me with a 900-1200 calorie deficit each day. When your body doesnt eat for 16 hours straight, it goes into FASTING mode, not STARVATION mode despite popular belief. Your body doesn't go into starvation mode until about hour 72....granted that will vary some depending on the person, and lets face it...one meal a day is tough enough. To enter fasting mode you need to not eat for roughly 16 hours minimum. I just take it one step higher and eat one big meal every 24 hours. In that time period my metabolism doesn't shut down, or slow in any way. Now... it takes roughly 3500 calories to burn 1 lb of fat. So after a quick calculation using the previous numbers, I would lose a little over 1.5 lbs a week on the low end. 1-1.5 lbs a week is usually considered healthy. I will agree however, don't rely on the scale to show you progress, either use a tape measure on those trouble areas, or purchase a BMI calculator that can for the most part accurately tell you your body fat %. If your percentage goes down, and your weight stays the same....then you're doing alright. Oh and I do stand behind these claims I am making as I am on deployment # 4 currently. I always have energy in the field, and always have outstanding physicals.