Salsa??

Options
Looking for a recipe for homemade salsa I need to watch my sodium intake and find the store bought stuff full of sodium.

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I don't have exact measurements, but I make salsa a lot. Basically I throw the ingredients into my food processor and pulse until it's how I like it.

1 onion quartered
    3 jalapenos with most of the seeds removed
    3 tomatoes quartered
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1/4 cup of fresh cilantro leaves
    dash or so of lime juice
    several dashes of cumin
    sprinkle of salt
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I love love love this one D's famous salsa on all recipes .com

2 cans (14.5 ounce) stewed tomatoes- I use the mexican kind. I've only found at giant. Gives it good flavor
    1/2 onion finely diced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 lime juiced
    1 teaspoon salt ( i omit this)
    1/4 cup canned sliced green chiles, or to taste. (the small can i find at walmart are the right amount.I dump the whole can in)
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

I also throw in some juice of a habinero pepper (very hot so you have to tweak it to your taste) or a jalepeno pepper if you prefer. Or you can not put any peppers in at all.

this is such a hit when I make it and its very cheap to make it. If you go to allrecipies.com you can get the nutritional value.. Happy eating

forgot to add the most important part. Place all in the blender, blend on low until you get it to the consistency you like. Can be a bit runny if you don't drain the tomatoes. Happy Eating
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't have exact measurements, but I make salsa a lot. Basically I throw the ingredients into my food processor and pulse until it's how I like it.

1 onion quartered
    3 jalapenos with most of the seeds removed
    3 tomatoes quartered
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1/4 cup of fresh cilantro leaves
    dash or so of lime juice
    several dashes of cumin
    sprinkle of salt

That's pretty much my exact recipe, and it's delish. The only thing that I do different is to cut the tomatoes by hand, then put everything else in the processor/blender, mix well; I like a chunky salsa though. Also note, roma tomatoes work best :)
  • leannaona
    leannaona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipes I'm going to try to make some right now. :smile:
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for homemade salsa, just wanted to share in case you ever need to buy one at the store. I compared them, and found that Newman's Own - All Natural-Salsa- Chunky Mild salsa only has 65g of sodium per 2 Tbsp. I think it tastes just as good as the Pace Picante/salsa I would normally buy.