How long is a "plateau"?

Options
After having lost about 14 lbs in 5-6 weeks (from 232 to 219), I have been stuck at 219 for 3 weeks now. I also upped my cals (from MPF's 1200 to 1508 based on road map) about that time, and I have started cardio 4-5/week since last week.

I know I need to give my body time to adjust to the increased calories and the cardio, but how much time before I need to tweak again for better results? And I'm not looking for instant results; I'm cool with the "marathon, not a sprint", "lifestyle, not a diet" mentality.

Thanks, Callie

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    bump for some responses, please
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got 2 different things going on here...

1) Everything I've read is that a plateau is 4 weeks or longer.
    2) Most will say that 4-6 weeks is the minimum time you need to give your body to adjust to any changes in diet and/or exercise.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Guess in my opinion...a bit longer than a few weeks. I've been hovering around the same weight (within 1-2 pounds) for almost a year. I've upped calories, lowered them, added exercise, lowered exercise...guess my body just likes where I am. I, however, don't!! I asked my doctor who told me to reduce my calories to 1100 per day so I tried that....I felt like I was starving. I upped my calories to what MFP suggests and am feeling much better. I'm slowly breaking my plateau and keeping my fingers crossed that I've finally done it!! Patience...that's all you can ask!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Due to the fact that you are a higher weight with more to lose, you would have been fine with the 1200 calories for a while. I started at 240 a year ago and ate 1200 calories for the first 60lbs till my body levelled off and I plateaued.

If cardio is all you can handle right now that's great, but I recommend adding some strength training as soon ad you can comfortable do it. Get yourself some 2-5 lb weights and Jillian Micheal's 30 day Shred. Do as much as you can each day and try and push yourself just a little further the next day and before you know it you will be doing the whole thing.

You may want to fine tune your diet and see what your body responds to. Cutting wheat out of your diet is often a good place to start.
  • lovesdogs1960
    Options
    I started the paleo plan 4 days ago to help me. My doctor also said I wasn't taking in enough calories for my work/lifestyle. He recommended 2000 calories.
  • Calliope610
    Options
    @ Monica - Cutting wheat out of your diet is often a good place to start. What is the rationale behind this?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a 3 weeks plateau after 16 lb or so. I just kept doing what I was doing and it eventually started coming off again.
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am now on my sixth week. ????
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you're at a plateau yet since you've made 2 significant changes by upping calories and increasing activity. Give it 3 or so more weeks to see where you're at. Also, don't go by the scale alone. Take body measurements & pictures for comparison. You mihgt not see a change in the scale but all of a sudden you realize those jeans are a bit too loose now.

I agree with the suggestion to add weight training to your exercise routine. It'll help preserve lean body mass while you're losing weight. Many times before I just did the cardo thing and never really saw success. This time around I'm in a bootcamp/crossfit type circuit training class that uses dumbells, kettleballs, body weight, & barbell exercises along with cardo intervals. While I can't see them yet, I can feel the difference in my muscles. I just now need to lose the major fat layer covering them, lol.

Good luck!!
  • Calliope610
    Options
    @ChangingAmanda,

I am adding strength training (SL 5x5) this week, I didn't add that info b/c really, for all intents and purposes, I haven't do it yet. The strength training is one of the reasons I am comfortable with the cal increase.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    @ Monica - Cutting wheat out of your diet is often a good place to start. What is the rationale behind this?

FYI, ignore the wheat comments. There is no rationale.

I agree with the poster above who said to give it 4-6 weeks after changing a routine. Sometimes, my weight drops in jumps. That is, i will lose nothing for a few weeks, then drop 4-5 pounds on week 4 or 5.
  • Calliope610
    Options
    I agree Wendy, just pseudo-science and pseudo-nutrition.