Medication and weight.

Options
Hi everyone. I hope this is the right place to put this, and that it isn't already a recent topic.
I'm currently on antidepressants (citalopram), and while I've been on them I'm finding it harder to lose weight. Is this connected? Has anybody else had a similar experience?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Replies

• iveyroze3
    iveyroze3 Posts: 89
    Options
    Yes ,it is true that antidepressants can slow weight loss. I am on Lexapro which is kin to what you are taking. I have lost 35 lbs since Nov 2012 on them , so it's not that hard to lose weight on the meds. Just portion control, logging your foods and calories ,drinking water and exercise. There is no short cut . Just eating nutritious and taking it slow and easy. We didn't get this way over night.
  • telt4
    telt4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am on alot of meds for bipolar and alot of the side effects are weight gain but Ive lost weight before in the past but have always done it the wrong way by not eating of course. I wanna lose weight the right way this time. Ive lost 7 pounds since I signed up. Its a slow process but you just gotta be patient. I never used to excercise at all other than cleaning all the time cause Im a stay at home mom, but Ive started and it makes a world of difference in my mood. I guess meds do slow down the weight loss process but as long as you are dedicated I honestly think you'll be able to lose weight. Best of luck to you.:)
  • KirstenRLD
    Options
    thankyou both for the replies, its helped a lot :)