advice needed

Options
I am a 6ft tall with 70 lb's to lose. I have lost 18 so far. I generally stick to my calorie goal and eat my deficit when i exercise. I either walk or cycle to work and have 2/3 bigger works out a week.
My food blips tend to be wine related when we go out. But i measure/weigh my portions and try to eat a lot of veg, nuts and healthy foods as possible.

I feel thinner but for 3 weeks i have stayed exactly the same weight and my 18 pounds loss has been very slow.
If i only had a couple of pounds to lose I would be bothered about the slow weight loss but really need to shift some weight!
I am getting fit now and would like the body to match.

any advice?

Replies

• brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    do you lift weights ?
  • hattie869
    hattie869 Posts: 20
    Options
    yes on the weekend. Either a weight session or a weight mixed with cardio session
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to shake up your routine. Adjust yout calories. Raise your intensity or try a new class at your gym (assuming you go to a gym.) If not, there is quite a variety of free workouts on youtube.

I've found either or both of those to be effective when I plateau.
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You could be going through a plateau. Try to mix it up a bit with training to keep your body guessing, and the other fail-safe I'd employ would be the measuring tape. A kilogram of muscle looks very different volume-wise to a kilogram of fat. This is where the measuring tape adds reassurance.
  • hattie869
    Options
    I seem to plateau every few weeks! I try and mix my workouts up and keep my body/muscles second guessing! do others plateau so regularly?
  • bootygone
    bootygone Posts: 34
    Options
    A member on my friends list went to her clinic nurse, she was told that when we plateau, it is the bodies way for repair & reshaping. Are you plateau'ing when you ovulate??? or having your period??? Why I ask is because I plateau when I ovulate, its very frustrating, especially when you've had a great week
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A member on my friends list went to her clinic nurse, she was told that when we plateau, it is the bodies way for repair & reshaping. Are you plateau'ing when you ovulate??? or having your period??? Why I ask is because I plateau when I ovulate, its very frustrating, especially when you've had a great week

Me too, and I often gain (fluid) twice a month. Oh the joy of it all. :-/
  • hattie869
    Options
    thats really interesting - i will try and see if there are any patterns!
  • stacey_mntx
    stacey_mntx Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try taking measurements... A personal trainer once told me that sometimes when we plateau we are seeing our body's muscle mass grow at an equal rate as our fat loss. That muscle sure looks a whole lot better and in the long run will burn more calories while we rest. Chin up, Sugarlump! You are doing all the right things and it will pay off in the end. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I just had a nice whoosh after taking a diet break. You basically bring your calories up to maintenance for two weeks, while paying attention to macro levels, in order to allow your endocrine system to reset. That's the theory, anyway. The practical outcome is that it will not make you *gain* weight as long as you really eat at maintenance, and it makes it psychologically easier to stick to long-term caloric restriction.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • skyler8937
    Options
    thats really interesting - i will try and see if there are any patterns!

Yeah, I can typically count on plateauing around my cycle. In fact, I may even gain a few pounds but once my cycle is over, I know I'll see the scale budge. So, hang in there!! And definitely look for patterns --- I think women's body's tend to be be "cyclic". :-)
  • hattie869
    Options
    thanks for all the great advice! Its amazing what a lot of support you get from these answers! Fingers crossed the scales shift soon :-)
  • bootygone
    bootygone Posts: 34
    Options
    thanks for all the great advice! Its amazing what a lot of support you get from these answers! Fingers crossed the scales shift soon :-)
    Good Luck :smile:
  • juliej1966
    Options
    Try the fast diet or some call it the 5.2 diet. Eat 5 days a week normally the other 2 days 500 calories.
    I have not been able to shift any weight with weight watchers or slimming world but in nearly a month o have lost 7lbs.
    Im thrilled