5k by May??

Options
Hey that rhymed!

Okay in all seriousness since joining this site I've been really inspired to run a 5k. I'm graduating from college May 19th and there's a 5k here on May 11th.

One thing you should know about me; I'm a TERRIBLE runner. When I started working out, I could barely run for a minute. Slowly but surely I'm increasing my time by interval training on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I started off doing 2 minutes walking and 2 minutes running (thought I would die) and increased the run time by 1 minute each week. I'm currently up to 4 minutes.

My question is, before I sign up for this race, do you think it's possible for me if I start the C25K program right now to be ready by May?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Starting right now, yes I think it's possible. I'm on week 3 and will be done at the end of April. You probably won't have a super fast time but by then you can finish the race. Go for it!

EDIT: I should add that I originally did C25K in 6 weeks before running my first 5K. I got tendonitis from pushing it too much and ended up stopping running for 6 weeks to heal. Now I am back in the program and taking it very slowly.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for a super fast time. I just want to be able to finish and it's something that I really want to do. Thanks!
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    DO IT! You totally can, especially if you are up to 30 minutes. a 5K will take about 45-50 minutes so you will be good if you start the training schedule right now. Good Luck!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's possible! Believing is the first step :wink:
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is designed to assist in your "evolution" over a period of 9 weeks. IF you started today - you would be in week 8 at the time of the 5K run.

IMO - I would say - go ahead and begin the program now and sign up for another 5K later in the year!
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it! Given where you are now, I don't think you need to start C25K at the beginning of the program. Count back from the date of the race, and start there. You're not starting completely from scratch, which is what C25K is designed for. You already have a little bit of a base and will be fine starting in Week 2 or 3.

I started C25K from zero, no base at all. It's a great program to get you running & helped me run my first 5K just a couple months after I started "running." Just be consistent and follow the program, and you'll be fine. Don't get ahead of the program and do more than prescribed, you don't want to injure yourself or burn yourself out, which is common for new runners. And don't run too fast! Another newbie mistake. In the beginning, do not worry one bit about how fast/slow you are going. Focus only on distance. Speed doesn't matter at this point. Go slow! Races are GREAT motivators! I have to always have a race on my calendar to keep me motivated and running on those days when it would just be easier not to. And race are so fun, too! The energy is so fun & inspiring. Good luck!
  • brownwe
    brownwe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a 5k, but its on April 20th. I've never run one before, so I've been using an app called 10k runner. it's 14 weeks, but the first 8 are preps for a 5k. It takes it slowly and I've been able to keep up after previously hating running. You can do it and there are plenty of tools out there to help you start! :)
  • RNWall
    RNWall Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K Jan. 1st and I was able to run the entire 5k by week 6. I have NEVER been a runner before, so if I can do it anyone can :) Good luck, its a very rewarding feeling knowing you completed it. I am working on a 10k now!