Which one is it????

Options
Is it calories in/calories out or 80% diary/20% exercise?? I don't have a lot to lose but I am having a hell of a time losing. Thanks!!!

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Is it calories in/calories out or 80% diary/20% exercise?? I don't have a lot to lose but I am having a hell of a time losing. Thanks!!!

Sorry , I don't understand the question.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Both?

It's keeping track of what your calorie expenses are daily and making sure you eat less than that, but enough that your body is still getting what it needs. You needn't necessarily eat healthy, but be conscious of your macros (carbs, fats, protein) (and realize that healthy eating generally makes you feel more full/satisfied in the long run). You needn't necessarily work out, but your body will trim more and benefit from it if you do.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Cals in/out: eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.

Exercise: builds or helps maintain lean body mass, which aids in burning fat. It also gives you more food to eat so you can stick to a deficit more comfortably.

If you open your diary, people can probably give you more targeted advice.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss, exercise to help your body be healthy and look good.

You're having a hard time losing cos you dont have much to lose.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Yes, your question is confusing. I am assuming you are asking how much you should be eating. You eat what MFP tells you plus your exercise calories or you figure out your TDEE and eat -15/20% of that.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a lot, it's gonna be slow. I think 80% diet/20% exercise is the truthful way to go, since I see people going mad cow at the gym and eating crap and wondering why they aren't losing.

Set your intake to lose .5lb/week, hit your macros (40% carb/30% protein/30% fat), workout moderately and weigh once a week. Rinse and Repeat until you are your desired weight/body comp. More importantly, BE PATIENT and CONSISTENT.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss, exercise to help your body be healthy and look good.

You're having a hard time losing cos you dont have much to lose.

This ^^

And given that you don't have much to lose, you may have your weight loss goal set too high. If you're doing the TDEE method, go for a reduction of 10% or 15%, 20% is too high for those with less to lose. If you're using the standard MFP method, see below. Also, make sure your activity level is honest. Even if you have a desk job, you may be moving around more than you think. Or on the other hand, you may have yourself set as highly active but you're not consistently that active. Play around with the settings, give each change at least 3 weeks then adjust again to see what balance works best.

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    If you don't have a lot, it's gonna be slow. I think 80% diet/20% exercise is the truthful way to go, since I see people going mad cow at the gym and eating crap and wondering why they aren't losing.

Set your intake to lose .5lb/week, hit your macros (40% carb/30% protein/30% fat), workout moderately and weigh once a week. Rinse and Repeat until you are your desired weight/body comp. More importantly, BE PATIENT and CONSISTENT.

Thanks for explaining that. :) i think this is sound advice.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Emphasize protein and make sure to get rid of any simple, processed carbs. No sugar, no white flour.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)