Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred?

Options
I am currently 5'8.5 167 lbs. My ultimate goal weight is 135, but I am more concerned about burning fat and shaping and toning my body. My goal is to do a daily workout of strength exercises and cardio 3-4 days a week. I do okay with cardio because I am going bike riding, power walking, playing basketball or tennis because its fun for me. However, when it comes to daily exercises, I tend to get lost as to what to do, so it's either cut short or not done at all. I'm thinking of trying the 30 day shred to get some consistency with exercising since I have no access to a gym in my area. Has anyone tried this program, and if so what do you think of it? Is it successful, or would I be better off just trying to come up with my own exercise regimen and trying to stick to it?

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Definitely try 30DS.. results are amazing and its a great beginner (but challenging) workout for those new to losing weight (or just starting trying).

Highly recommended.. and based on some of the goals you mentioned, it will be fantastic fit for you. Let us know how you make out with it
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree. I have been a runner for years, but bought the 30 day shred and ripped in 30 just to see how doing workout DVDs would work for me.
    I've seen great results so far...I finished the 30 day shred and am halfway through ripped in 30.
    Love it!
    Quick edit...I'm 53. Quite honestly, when I'm doing some of the moves in Ripped in 30, I question may sanity....Like "should a 53 year old granny really be duck walking across the floor?" But I do it anyway....
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OP, I've been exactly where you are. I'm 5'8 and the 160's felt IMPOSSIBLE to get out of. But they're not (149 now). Glad you asked this! I feel like the answers have validated my decision to start the 30DS also. I'm on Level 1 Day 7 and also running five days a week, one rest day and one crosstrain day. So I'm super eager to see the results. And I'm thinking about getting Ripped in 30 when I'm done also!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree. I have been a runner for years, but bought the 30 day shred and ripped in 30 just to see how doing workout DVDs would work for me.
    I've seen great results so far...I finished the 30 day shred and am halfway through ripped in 30.
    Love it!
    Quick edit...I'm 53. Quite honestly, when I'm doing some of the moves in Ripped in 30, I question may sanity....Like "should a 53 year old granny really be duck walking across the floor?" But I do it anyway....

LIES.. you are not 53!! What a bod! :smile:
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like the 30 day shred series - although I started out doing it a couple of times a week and not every day. It is good to start, and a good quick workout. I have lost several inches doing it, and my core muscles are stronger than when I started. Now, I feel like I am ready for a longer more intense workout. The exercises are easy to follow and show different levels. it is not hard for me to modify to make some of the moves medium and not high impact. After a couple of times you can listen to music instead of Jillian, too. The three levels are all available on youtyube also.
  • Emmaj47
    Emmaj47 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am currently 5'8.5 167 lbs. My ultimate goal weight is 135, but I am more concerned about burning fat and shaping and toning my body. My goal is to do a daily workout of strength exercises and cardio 3-4 days a week. I do okay with cardio because I am going bike riding, power walking, playing basketball or tennis because its fun for me. However, when it comes to daily exercises, I tend to get lost as to what to do, so it's either cut short or not done at all. I'm thinking of trying the 30 day shred to get some consistency with exercising since I have no access to a gym in my area. Has anyone tried this program, and if so what do you think of it? Is it successful, or would I be better off just trying to come up with my own exercise regimen and trying to stick to it?
    I am 5"8 and 163 pounds so pretty much the same as you and I have exactly the same goal weight :) I am 9 days in to the 30 day shred, I haven't lost weight but I have lost 1 inch off my waist, 1 inch off my hips and 1 inch off my thigh. Very impressed and highly recommend it!
  • jacobsaw0513
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! :) I started 30 DS yesterday, and man it kicked my butt! I'm planning on doing it at least 5 days a week (even though it'll probably take a little over 6 weeks to finish), along with my regular walking, bike riding, sports or hiking at least 3 days a week. I felt like I accomplished more in those approximate 25 minutes than in a workout just doing various exercises in an hour. Thanks for all the advice; glad I found this! I will post my starting and end measurements when I finish all 30 days!
  • casmjones
    casmjones Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Started this series today! It really got my heartrate going. Felt good after it too. Feel free anyonet to add as a friend.
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    After reading this I am considering gettting on the 30DS bandwagon. Will be buying this on payday and starting the week after I think!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! :) I started 30 DS yesterday, and man it kicked my butt! I'm planning on doing it at least 5 days a week (even though it'll probably take a little over 6 weeks to finish), along with my regular walking, bike riding, sports or hiking at least 3 days a week. I felt like I accomplished more in those approximate 25 minutes than in a workout just doing various exercises in an hour. Thanks for all the advice; glad I found this! I will post my starting and end measurements when I finish all 30 days!

Nice! I did pretty much the same thing (did 30DS 5 days a week with my other regular activities added in) and got great results. It really changed the shape of my body and built up my strength pretty quickly. Enjoy it!

As far as results, I lost 6lbs and 11 inches during the 5-6 weeks.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!

It's amazing, I was really surprised at how motivating she was for a workout DVD. Only $8 U.S. on Amazon.com.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 3. Woke up sore but not too sore to not do it! :D I can already see a little muscle line in my arms!
  • choose2care84
    choose2care84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred this morning! I plan to do it 2-3 times per week. I did it for a month straight back in the fall and found that I got really bored with it (I was doing it M-F then) and then stopped.

But now I want to do it at least 2x per week because it helps work all your muscle groups. I love the feeling of building muscle and good healthy stretching. I plan to alternate from walking/running outdoors and doing the 30 day shred video. If the weather isn't nice to get outside and walk/run then I will be doing the video - no excuse not to exercise! :)
  • choose2care84
    Options
    Just wanted to add that the best thing you can do for your body after attempting the 30 day shred is to do it again the very next day! I found I was sooo sore the first time I ever tried it and skipped a week before doing it again. Then this past fall, I was sore after the first day but did it again the very next day and it really helped me to not be as sore. Good luck! I do like this video and when you feel comfortable with the first level alternate between level 1 and 2...then alternate between level 2 and 3... helps prevent boredom :) I haven't attempted level 3 but I imagine it's insane :)
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started the 30DS, and got to level 2, 18 days before it shredded my knees. It took me about 2 months to not have pain in my knees anymore. I think it was from the daily pounding/excessive squat moves.
  • choose2care84
    Options
    I found level two to be more about muscle building than cardio...it's the jumping jacks in level 1 that get to me :)
    sorry to hear about your knees pp!
  • TennisNerd13
    Options
    I found level two to be more about muscle building than cardio...it's the jumping jacks in level 1 that get to me :)
    sorry to hear about your knees pp!

I just finished day one after failing at my first attempt last week. I would have never thought that jumping jacks could be so tough. By far the hardest part for me. But I do feel good that I made it all the way through!
  • shellplen
    shellplen Posts: 31
    Options
    What am I missing out on.....do I need the 30 day shred in my life. Had to put my specs on thought you were all talking bout sheds!
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!

It's amazing, I was really surprised at how motivating she was for a workout DVD. Only $8 U.S. on Amazon.com.

It's also free on youtube!
  • shellplen
    shellplen Posts: 31
    Options
    Just ordered it on Amazon 4.50, that's the quickest four pound I've ever lost! Hurry up postie