Question for Runners re Speed/Hill work

Options
I have patellofemoral syndrome. I have had it for a couple years, I've been checked out by PT and ortho and there's really nothing to do. It usually gets better as I lose weight, strengthen my quads/hammies and become more active.

I'm training for a marathon and have been trying to work speed work and hills into my training. I kicked some *kitten* last week on some speed work and felt strong and it didn't hurt at all. The next day I was doing an easy run and wasn't feeling it, but kept on keeping on and eeked out 3.25 miles on the treadmill. I think because I was tired/fatigued I must have had bad form because since then my knee has been tweaked. Id on't know if it was the speed work or the piss poor run afterwards but it's been pretty painful... I still run and still was on my feet all weekend at the hospital but it's sore to say the least.

So, I don't know the exact cause this time but was wondering if it's necessary for me to do the speed work and hills? Generally when my knee hurts it's after one of those workouts, I must tweak it trying to run faster or something, different form. Would it be just as beneficial to just get my miles in? or do tempo runs instead of speed work?

I understand the benefits of switching it up, but I also know the benefits of training to finish my marathon

I skipped my run today and went to a spinning class instead. My mileage for the week would have been 25 had I not done that, now I'll be around 21 miles. I average between 20-30 miles a week right now

Thoughts?

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can successfully run the marathon training with just easy and long runs. If the hills and speed are making something hurt right now then stop doing them and substitute easy runs in their place. Do that for a couple of weeks and then try the hard workouts again. If it still hurts then go back to easy.

If you can do tempo runs they will arguably be more beneficial for marathon training than speedwork.

Skipping the hard workouts will have an effect on your training but it will be minimal. If you push through the pain and have to stop training altogether for an injury that will have a major effect.

Eventually your legs will adapt and you will be able to handle the hills and speed without pain. Maybe that will be next month or maybe not until the next training cycle. Don't try to rush the process. That usually ends up with bad results.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As above, don't really see the necessity of hills or speed work for marathon training unless you are a sub-3 hour type