Road Trip snacks?

Options
UrbanLotus
UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
I'm taking a (hopefully 4 hour) road trip with my girls this weekend - I'm driving and I like to munch on snacks while driving! What can I bring? I have a cooler bag, but I'll also need to pack stuff for the way back (the next day) so nothing that will go bad, I won't have a fridge.

I'm thinking some air popped popcorn, baby carrots, string cheese...what else?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn is great! You can make huge bags of that to snack on along the way and you don't need to worry about keeping it cold. You could make carrot chips. Slice them thin, spray with a bit of oil and bake until crispy. Carrot sticks, peppers cut up into strips, celery etc are great snacks. Have some for the way there and than a container of them in the cooler bag for on the way back. Depending on the weather where you are and will be driving you may not need to put some things in the cooler bag. Cut up apples... some for the drive there than have some in the cooler bag for the way back. Bring nuts to snack on. String cheese... or even a cut up block of cheese would be good.

Freeze some water bottles to keep things cold on the way. That way you can drink the water that night. For the way back, if you can keep stuff cold until you leave than you will be fine not having frozen water in the cooler to keep things cold. Eat the cheese first on the way home so you don't have to worry about it.

You could bring sandwiches made with some peanut butter or something like that. Doesn't need to be cold and you can cut them into smaller pieces for snacking on along the way.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. Nom Nom Nom
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely Pop Tarts :heart:
  • cjowell
    cjowell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just came back from one and this is what I brought, hope it helps!
    -pretzels
    -Special K Chocolate pretzel bars
    -grapes
    -apples
    -mini rice cakes
    -popcorn
    -Lot's of water

I also prepackaged the pretzels, grapes, and mini rice cakes so that I wouldn't over eat.

Have fun!!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    beef jerky, dried fruit, fruit that you can eat without refrigeration....oranges, bananas, apples (bring some pb to dip apples in), pretzels, granola bars or fiber one or protein bars, celery for the way up (use same pb as the apples). four hours isnt too long though, if you are fed before you leave you shouldn't need many snacks

i also wont tell you my normal 4 hour road trip snacks which includes, combos, hot tamales, hot wing pretzels, and other not good for me yummies:)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

And ice cream.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WHISKEY
    VODKA
    WINE
    RUM
    GIN
    TEQUILA
    some beer i guess.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Cut up some strawberries and put them in a bag, blueberries, bellpeppers (I like the red ones 'cause they taste sweeter to me), cut up bananas. Packages things are likely to have more sugar/salt. Definitely apples and grapes like someone else mentioned. :)
  • abettiga
    abettiga Posts: 2
    Options
    I make my own Jerky. The Meat protein helps curve my appetite also.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

And ice cream.

oops forgot the ice cream, how could I :drinker: