Thoughts on Motivation?

Options
Hello everyone. Looking for some encouragement today! I started my weight loss journey in April of last year, and have lost around 75lbs so far. Over the past few months I have completely lost the motivation I started with on this journey. I have stopped holding myself as accountable as I did in the beginning and haven’t really had the drive or energy to work out every day. I know we all go through this sort of thing, right? But what I’m looking for is how you got yourself re-motivated? I still have around 100lbs I would like to lose and know I can do it I’m just having a hard time. I’ve tried different work out things: zumba, just dance, biggest loser dvds, yoga – I think I’ve tried just about everything. I started most of my weight loss on the elliptical and still use it. I’ve started training for a 5k too. Maybe I just need some sunshine? HELP!?

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    How are you finding your eating? Are you bored with what you are faced with for your meals? I can't see your diary and I do not profess to be anywhere near as experienced as some of the guys and girls on here who have bust their gut to lose weight.

I decided when I took this one that it wasn't realistic for me to work out every day as I wanted a lifestyle change and not a temporary one.

I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of advice on here but the guys will need as much info as possible to help.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How are you finding your eating? Are you bored with what you are faced with for your meals? I can't see your diary and I do not profess to be anywhere near as experienced as some of the guys and girls on here who have bust their gut to lose weight.

I decided when I took this one that it wasn't realistic for me to work out every day as I wanted a lifestyle change and not a temporary one.

I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of advice on here but the guys will need as much info as possible to help.

I love cooking - and I usually stay within my calories during the week. I think where I struggle is the weekends. In the beginning it wasn't much of a problem b/c I was so dedicated to doing this. Now that I have lost a decent amount of weight I have this thing going on in my mind that is like - oh this one time won't hurt. I can burn this off next week. I need to stop this. I don't want to feel comfortable with having lost 75lbs, I want to keep going. I love that I am able to shop in a normal clothing store now, it's awesome but I want to keep losing and get to my original goal which was 150lbs.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Maybe set a new goal and when you reach it buy yourself something you really want. I did new fun running shoes, spa day, and new Michael Kors heels. I also registered for Tough Mudder with a team. (Www.toughmudder.com) It kept me motivated because I didn't want to let my team down. I'm registering for another one to make sure I train. I hope your able to eat over the hump and continue your progress. Best wishes with your weight lost journey. :flowerforyou:

P.s. I bought classes at orange theory fitness and a Pilate studio too and they have been beneficial in keeping me in check. So has my trainer.:happy:
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Maybe set a new goal and when you reach it buy yourself something you really want. I did new fun running shoes, spa day, and new Michael Kors heels. I also registered for Tough Mudder with a team. (Www.toughmudder.com) It kept me motivated because I didn't want to let my team down. I'm registering for another one to make sure I train. I hope your able to eat over the hump and continue your progress. Best wishes with your weight lost journey. :flowerforyou:

P.s. I bought classes at orange theory fitness and a Pilate studio too and they have been beneficial in keeping me in check. So has my trainer.:happy:

Meant get over the hump not eat over the hump lol:laugh:
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree with azchell. Give yourself something extra to look forward to. Maybe buy yourself an outfit you like now but a few sizes smaller. If you get down to that size, then you can wear it.
  • telt4
    telt4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you have anyone to work out with? I know thats what has helped me alot is having someone to do the dvds with because its alot more fun. I always get my 11 year old sun to work out with me and he loves it, plus it gives us time together and he motivates me. Now if I could just talk my husband into working out with me lol! Im a stay at home mom so I spend alot of time during the day alone and Ive got all the time in the world to excercise but I usually dont do the dvds until my son gets home from school in the evenings because I dont have the motivation. Its almost spring too and that will make everyone feel better. Winter is so depressing anyway. Find a workout buddy or someone to motivate you. Good luck to you. Trina
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Keeping up the motivation for the last haul is tough. I've had to reset my thinking and stop thinking about how much I've lost. I reset my ticker to zero and started fresh. It helps keep the number meaningful rather than seeming like a few pounds gained is just a drop in the bucket to what I have already lost. It's been working for me, but it may not work for everyone. Good luck.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I read on MFP once about someone facing the same things you described. She found some BEFORE pics of herself, had them blown up to almost lifesize, and put them around her house as a reminder of what she USED to be. She said it helped immensely to get through that phase.

Congrats so far and good luck going forward!!!:smile:
  • Winks0118
    Winks0118 Posts: 25
    Options
    I slipped for a week while I was on a cruise. When I got back, I printed out the reports of my body fat% and weight and put it nearby along with a note that says, "Think twice about that snack." It has worked pretty well for me.