Toning???

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you are already happy with your current weight and are looking to add muscle/tone to your body then you're going to need to move on to a higher intensity strength training regimen. Something like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, GSLP, or something else along those lines. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also good. Be warned, these require gym equipment.

This. I did circuit-training 30 Day Shred type workouts for months. It didn't change my physique at all. Heavy lifting transformed my body and booty. And it makes me feel like a superhero.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm pretty sure that if you've got down to that weight at that height that you've probably got most as far as you can on the fat loss side without changing to a body you're really not happy with.

'Toning' actually comes with 2 things - 1. you have to get to a lowish level of body fat. 2. you need to increase your muscle.

I'm sure you've heard of 'skinny fat' which refers to those people who clearly are not fat - in fact they are quite skinny - but they still don't look that great as their skin and what fat they do have still just seems to hang limply.

The solution for this is an increase in muscle. Some people, particularly women, don't like the idea of building muscle or 'bulking' as they imagine themselves turning all masculine with bulging muscles and veins, with a bit of a strong chin (and 5 o clock shadow).

This is not how it goes at all. Building muscle takes a hell of a long time and is hard work, even for those of us who are a) male and therefore have much more testosterone and b) tailor our diets and lifestyles to facilitate maximum amounts of growth. So you are never going to get too big just by accident.

As suggested above, a programme called 5x5 is excellent for beginners and I can highly recommend it. It is based around 'compound lifts', working your whole body 3 times a week. Compound lifts being the main sort of lift that use many different muscles at a time and are generally regarded as most beneficial for most people.

If 5x5 is something that sounds of interest then a quick google will probably get you the info, but if it's confusing then as I've actually done it myself I have the whole plan drawn up ready to go and can easily cop/paste it. If you want that then just PM me.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If you are already happy with your current weight and are looking to add muscle/tone to your body then you're going to need to move on to a higher intensity strength training regimen. Something like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, GSLP, or something else along those lines. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also good. Be warned, these require gym equipment.

This. I did circuit-training 30 Day Shred type workouts for months. It didn't change my physique at all. Heavy lifting transformed my body and booty. And it makes me feel like a superhero.

That's great to hear!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why do people wait until they've lost weight to start "toning"??

Because they don't realise until they hit what they thought was their goal weight that their body doesn't look how they expected/hoped.
  • ereach4731
    ereach4731 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer how I could better tone the thighs and butt b/c I feel like I wasn't working them enough during regular workouts. He suggested 100 squats every other day. There are tons of videos on YouTube showing how to do all different kinds of sqats, especially to target the inner thigh.

Good luck!
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am happy with the number on the scale. :) I am ready to get some muscles going. ;) I have a son who has cerebral Palsy, and he is getting heavy, and Momma isn't getting stronger. HE is my motivation right now. So Yes, I need to get the fat off and get the muscles going. I plan to up my calories when I hit 115 just to maintain that weight.
    If you weigh 116 and your goal weight is 115 and you want to tone, you are going to gain weight my adding muscle.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My favorite squat is squatting against a large medicine ball against the wall while holding out an 8lb ball. Works my butt like crazy. I've already noticed a lift in my rear after less than 2 weeks.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You need to build muscle in order to have anything to 'tone'. That only happens with heavy lifting. I would suggest looking up a good weight training routine. Bodybuilding.com has plenty of begginer programs. A lot of women like Jamie Eason's livefit program on there.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am happy with the number on the scale. :) I am ready to get some muscles going. ;) I have a son who has cerebral Palsy, and he is getting heavy, and Momma isn't getting stronger. HE is my motivation right now. So Yes, I need to get the fat off and get the muscles going. I plan to up my calories when I hit 115 just to maintain that weight.
    If you weigh 116 and your goal weight is 115 and you want to tone, you are going to gain weight my adding muscle.

But she will have the strength and tone she is after. OP, you have to be ok with the fact that the number on the scale may change if you decide to start lifting heavy.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Toning doesn't exist. You either grow muscle or burn fat - tell me what would you be toning exactly?

Simple lose more body fat whilst lifting weights or similar and you will 'tone' as you shed the fat and show the muscle you have off underneath.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will look into that. :) Starting the Shred tomorrow, I got her killer buns and thighs last night. :)

When you start the Shred don't look at the scales, your weight may go up slightly which can be disheartening, take before and after shots and you will see yourself getting toned.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you are at your goal weight, but want to look more toned, you need to build additional muscle. Period, end of story.

Doing a cardio program does not build muscle.

You need to do real strength training.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have never lifted yet, and I have two small kids at home and I can't take them to the gym so I won't be any time soon. Also, I appreciate all the lifters and how they try to get people psyched about it but some people might need to ease into that. Someone said something to the effect of 'Jillian DVD's won't help you lift your son'. I disagree. I am so much stronger than I was 6 months ago. I did 30DS, then Body Revolution, now rotate between No More Trouble Zones, Kickbox Fast Fix, Extreme Shed & killer Abs. I have Killer buns and thighs but haven't opened it yet because I am all good in those areas for now :) But I have such faith in Jillian that I would recommend that to you. ALl of her DVD's do basically the same things, blast your heart rate up really quick through 30 seconds cardio, do a crazy strength training type move for 30 seconds, repeat, lol. I love it becuase I can do anything for 30 seconds and then change. I'm not saying you will be able to dead lift 100 pounds but you WILL be more toned.

Then, after getting your feet wet with something like that you could move on to something that would build more muscle and get you really toned up the way you want.

Just my two cents, that's what these forums are for- eh?

:) Good luck!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    For results that you floor you, you need to lift weights for the thighs and butt.

My trainer had me doing 60 squats, 3x a week with dumbbells and then I graduated up to a barbell with heavy weights. I couldn't believe how firm, tight, lifted and little my butt became. Back of my legs were smooth and toned. I wore short-shorts all summer. I need to do this again. It was the best summer of my life. I walked around with such confidence.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5. lift heavy.

Or Starting Strength. :bigsmile:

Or New RUles of Lifting for Women. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have never lifted yet, and I have two small kids at home and I can't take them to the gym so I won't be any time soon. Also, I appreciate all the lifters and how they try to get people psyched about it but some people might need to ease into that. Someone said something to the effect of 'Jillian DVD's won't help you lift your son'. I disagree. I am so much stronger than I was 6 months ago. I did 30DS, then Body Revolution, now rotate between No More Trouble Zones, Kickbox Fast Fix, Extreme Shed & killer Abs. I have Killer buns and thighs but haven't opened it yet because I am all good in those areas for now :) But I have such faith in Jillian that I would recommend that to you. ALl of her DVD's do basically the same things, blast your heart rate up really quick through 30 seconds cardio, do a crazy strength training type move for 30 seconds, repeat, lol. I love it becuase I can do anything for 30 seconds and then change. I'm not saying you will be able to dead lift 100 pounds but you WILL be more toned.

Then, after getting your feet wet with something like that you could move on to something that would build more muscle and get you really toned up the way you want.

Just my two cents, that's what these forums are for- eh?

:) Good luck!

You don't need to go to a gym to do an effective strength routine, though it does make it easier. You can do strength training in the home just fine.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Try "The Butt Bible". It's toning only and you don't need a lot of equipment. It's on YouTube. The workouts are divided by upper body + abs and lower body. There are three levels for each. Of course, they get progressively more difficult, so start at level 1. :)

THIS!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are at your goal weight, but want to look more toned, you need to build additional muscle. Period, end of story.

Doing a cardio program does not build muscle.

You need to do real strength training.

Yes, a real strength program is what you need to help you with your son. Either that or good insurance and a live-in nurse.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Toning doesn't exist. You either grow muscle or burn fat - tell me what would you be toning exactly?

Simple lose more body fat whilst lifting weights or similar and you will 'tone' as you shed the fat and show the muscle you have off underneath.
    ^ This. Here's a great article about "Toning":

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

(a bit of mildly strong language)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Aside from heavy lifting in the gym, you could try the 30 day squat challenge:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12570-30-day-squat-challenge-march-2013

or lunges while holding dumbbells or anything heavy in your hands.