slim fast

Options
does slim fast work? has anyone been on it?
thanks

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Does it work for what? Weight loss? Sure, if you're in a calorie deficit. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You can also do that with normal food, which is my preference.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    As a on the go quick calorie filler - people seem to do alright on that. There are cheaper and tastier ways to make your own shakes. Others will soon jump in here with where to get those ingredients.

As a diet? No. What makes it work is the fact that you are consuming less calories. You can get the same results (and feel more satisfied) eating foods that add up to an equal calorie deficit.

So, overall, it's an expensive product and rather useless.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Agree with QuirkyTizzy.
    On the other hand, I am a huge fan of meal replacement bars because I usually don't take much of a break at work for lunch.

The danger with slim fast is that you're probably not going to want to drink these shakes for the rest of your life, and it doesn't help you get into a new, healthy routine to replace your old ones.
  • cassig13
    cassig13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost 20 pounds in 2 months but the problems is once i stopped drinking them i gained the weight back plus so there is a downside.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost 20 pounds in 2 months but the problems is once i stopped drinking them i gained the weight back plus so there is a downside.
    Sub in "15 pounds" for "20 pounds" and this is my experience EXACTLY.

Did it back in college when I was young and stupid. It did nothing to teach me how to eat properly. What did? Tracking calories and not eating at too much of a deficit. Eat the way you mean to for the rest of your life, only a few hundred calories less, and it's a lot easier to maintain when you're done.

I did Slim Fast in the spring, and the weight was back by autumn. I tracked calories another winter/spring, and the weight stayed within 5 pounds for years (it's still off--I'm just back to tracking to lose more).
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know this will go against popular advice, but if it will help you get started....go for it.
    I still use some Atkins shakes at work when I have no time/energy/willpower to make something better on my 30 minute lunch hour.

But even slimfast would tell you it's not for every meal. So as you think about that other meal, try to incorporate those better eating habits further.... Replacing the shakes with more and more real food.

Surround yourself with healthy alternatives :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In fact, this is true about any "lite" food. In fact, some of them will just make you more hungry and sabotage your progress, particularly if they have artificial sweetener in them, which for some of us, acts as a trigger to eat. Yes, you are better off drinking a Slimfast than eating a Klondike bar but you would be even better off eating real, minimally processed, food.

If you have a hankering for a milkshake, whir frozen fruit, e.g. cherries, in the blender with some skim milk. Add some vanilla extract or even a teaspoon of sugar if you need to. Want a hardier shake? Add yogurt. Don't have a blender? For the price of 3 Slimfast 4-packs you can get a single serving blender at Walmart. For the price of 5, you can get a full-sized blender.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I did it once in the late 80's when at 116 pounds I thought i was fat. All it did was keep me chained to the toilet. It was thee worst I've ever had.. Now i only use it when I can't go.. :blushing:
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Didn't work at all for me.