Always hungry in the afternoon!

Options
How do you lose weight and keep your calories when you're always feeling hungry? I eat a healthy breakfast, cant' wait to eat lunch. Am okay for about 2 hours, and then just want to snack my way to dinner. Today i literally went to the gym just so i could work off some calories and still have enough calories left over to be able to eat an actual dinner. When i try and cut back to the typical 1200 calories, i get so hungry and get irritable. Suggestions? Do you just work thru the hangry? (hungry + angry)... Frustrated, and not losing anything....

Replies

• kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 4-5 small meals a day at 200-300 calories each. Not all calories are created equal... try eating steamed veggies for a snack or an apple. You can eat a LOT more steamed veggies than you can with most "snacks".

edited for more info
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water, soup, veggies... in general the higher protein or just lower sugary foods in my diet cause less hunger pains. Getting the proper vitamins. A lot of people will hate on multi-vitamins, but for like 6 bucks for a months worth... why not? I also eat uninterrupted. Multi-tasking while eating doesn't help establish food with nourishment. I can't see your log, but dairy for me is very filling like cottage cheese / yogurt, but generally fiber is good to help the sensation of being full.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    basically your body is saying it is not consuming enough calories.....I had to play around with calories 1200-1400 and now at 1775 I find myself to not only be full but my body is happy
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure you are set to 1 pound per week. Secondly, make sure you get lots of fiber, lean protein, and water. You also have to eat back your exercise calories. I am 100% positive, unless you are bed ridden, you need more than 1200 calories per day.
    I get bored in the afternoon, and that really adds to my afternoon hungry time. I just budget 2 lunches into my calories, one at noon and one at 3.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? you could probably be eating more than that! if you have a sec go to the apps tab up top and calculate your bmr and try to eat that minimum!

this may sound weird to you but if i eat breakfast i tend to eat more through out the day because no matter what i have tried eating for breakfast i am full an hour or two after. what works for me which may or may not work for you is i put off eating until afternoon/evening. I still eat all of my calories but this helps me stay there without going over. i wouldn't recommend this for everyone because it could lead to bad binges or just eating much less than necessary but it has really helped me from being starving in the afternoon/evening and be out of calories!
  • sarasara42
    Options
    Do you still feel like you can eat dinner with your family? and how much time do you spend planning those midday snacks? For example. Today i had meetings from 8am-1030, then from 12-4pm (straight thru). I can usually grab water and do bathroom breaks, but unless i have it on me, snacks are really hard to go get.
  • sarasara42
    Options
    Dairy and me are not friends. Or i should say my stomach doens't like it so much. So then i resort to snacking on nuts for protein, but then its high calories. Get sorta stuck in a rut and get confused on what to try...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a dietary suppressant.. just sayin' don't use it as a crutch... but you can use it as a crutch.
  • sarasara42
    Options
    I'll have to try that. Usually when it hits lunch time i just wolf down the food. But i could try splitting it up and saving half for 3pm. That might work! And yes, my food calories say to eat about 1600 calories with exercise. I just get frustrated, because i dont feel like the weight's falling off when i feel like i'm just eating them all back. I know i know. Patience... But i can't say that's a virtue i have much of. :) Thanks guys.
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always eat dinner with my son and fiance. Take out stuff like bread, pasta, potatoes.... increase veggies and a small portion of lean meat.
  • sarasara42
    Options
    Yup. That's my main aim. Half my plate veggies/fruits. 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs. And i'm trying to up my fiber content (thank you benefiber). Then its' trying to figure out how much i can pile on my plate i think is the main issue. :)
  • ecw3780
    Options
    After looking at your diary, it looks like you have 3 big meals at regular meal times. I eat all day long. I would try breaking up your 3 meals into 6. Make snack bags that are 150-300 calories. If you have 1600 calories, that means you can have 5 meals and a snack. Also, it looks like you are having pretty calorie dense meals, so try to swap for more filling foods so you can have snacks later.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein - every meal I have I make sure I have enough protein - nothing satiates like protein - and then some cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts....

Since I have started eating more protein my need for "snacks" have gone ...
  • sarasara42
    Options
    If your body is used to a certain amount of calories. How do you know you're not hungry just because you think you are vs because you really do need to eat? I know i'm not emotional eating... i honestly feel hungry.
  • ecw3780
    Options
    Yup. That's my main aim. Half my plate veggies/fruits. 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs. And i'm trying to up my fiber content (thank you benefiber). Then its' trying to figure out how much i can pile on my plate i think is the main issue. :)

Eat real fiber! Get a food scale, and plan your meals out a week at a time. Every Sunday I log the food I plan on eating through out the week. It makes it a lot easier to plan.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I don't fight through the hunger. I've done it in the past and failed. Followed by failed, then more fail.

If I need something I eat.

This is just what I use to fight the munchies...

95g tin of Tuna, 71cal

or

Watermelon, 30cal per 100g (ill eat 400g easy) and its something that u can munch for ages.

or

Sorbet 107cal per 100g

or

Chewing Gum

or

Home made Soup

or

Greek Yogurt mixed with a chopped up Banana. 200g would be around 200cal i think.

Their my main go-to snacks.

Also, I try (doesn't always work out), but I try to split my cals as evenly as I can throughout the day.

Lastly..........Coffee......
  • sarasara42
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice you guys. And i really appreciate the insight on my diet and the snack examples listed out. I haven't done Tuna in forever, but it's easy enough i'm going to go pick some up.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, then by the time I got home I was ravenous like a wolf. I solved it by keeping a pack of Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix, Variety Pack of Dark Chocolate & Nut and Fruit & Nut bars in my desk. If I get that nagging hungry feeling about 4 p.m., I'll have one of these and a bottle of water. They are only 140 calories each, yet very sweet due to the chocolate or fruit. They take the edge of my hunger and satisfy my sweet tooth without going completely off the wagon. Then I am safe and sane when it is time for supper. 61RSwYTSvBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
  • sarasara42
    Options
    LOL, this picture is HUGE. But i do love their Sweet and Salty bars. yum!
  • goodtf
    goodtf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have always LOVED soup so it was a no brainer for me to make up new soups! No more pasta in any of them. Wild rice is not actually rice, and is very low in calories for a grain. my top grain choices to choose from (I usually use at least 2 grains in each soup) Chicken based soups: Wild rice, couscous or farro. Beef based soups: Barley, wild Rice, or Quinoa
    Then, LOTS of chopped up small, carrots and celery, of course, broccoli, etc. Onion and some turnips in beef soup. LOTS of fresh herbs....LOTS!
    For the meat, after it is cooked, I run it through a food processor and then add to soup. You will be able to get away w/ less meat, but it is distributed so well it practicaly thickens the soup. Last 5 minutes...I add LOTS of chopped Kale.
    The broth...whatever way you normally make or buy it. I have found that this ends up being very low calorie, healthy and filling.
    Also, I bought small bowls and cups to eat out of to further slow me down....and small childrens spoons. Heh, it all helps!