Women: Something to Consider Regarding BF%

Options
What is the healthy body fat percentage for women? Well, the jury is out on this one but 17% minimum (for menstruation--22% for fertility) has some support in the scientific community (see study link below).

I am currently dealing with quite a few health issues as a result of what I thought was simply being FIT...turns out I've royally screwed up my endocrine system and possibly have compromised my bone density. Sounds like no big deal but just to paint a picture of the risks of osteoporosis...

"Bones get progressively more brittle until they snap and when they do, it's bad news. One in six women taken to hospital with a hip fracture, will not come out alive...Any woman with a mum, grandmother or aunt who had a hip fracture is at greatly increased risk. We also know that women who don't have periods for long stretches of time because of anorexia, or because they breastfeed for a long time or go in to an early menopause, are at risk. Heavy smokers and very underweight women are also more prone."

Furthermore, I have to basically work to reverse all of the damage I have done if I ever want to have children. It's not worth it. Make HEALTHY goals early on in your fitness journey. Realize that women are SUPPOSED to have bodyfat. Learn to love yourself and you'll be much happier and HEALTHIER long term!

You might disagree and this isn't to spur a debate but just to get people thinking about their goals! :flowerforyou:

Here are some resources that I encourage you to read:

Bodyfat/Amenorrhea Info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3547537

osteoporosis info:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/apr/12/healthandwellbeing.health1

Self-Love/Body Confidence Author that I LOVE!

http://geneenroth.com/books1.php

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I will shamelessly bump my own thread! This is important to me and I really hope people read it!
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Happy to help keep this on top for people to read! :smile:
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks Love - it IS important and I am looking forward to reading the info in the links you posted. Really glad that you are sharing this info with others who might have been in the same boat as you.
    Options
    Thanks Love - it IS important and I am looking forward to reading the info in the links you posted. Really glad that you are sharing this info with others who might have been in the same boat as you.

You're welcome sweetness! I hope you find it informative! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    QFT...

320sw744520.gif
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Great post. As I become more focused on BF % as opposed to weight I think it is also good to realize that there is a such thing as "too low". I think the more you get into fitness you become consumed with lower is better and it's good to be sobered that that is not always the case. Thanks I plan on reading up :smile:

* I will add that I'm not particularly worried about osteoporosis (I'm pretty much the anti qualifier) but it is good to have healthy goals and that I'm all for =) Also, I wonder with the athletes how many of them were doing regular strength training and taking necessary calcium supplementation... it's hard to get all of the facts in just a paragraph. With that, there's no definitive number so "long term" could mean 2 years, 5 years, 8 years etc.. Or if cycling and coming up for periods of higher bf% (like bulk/cut cycles) could improve the outcomes. Not arguing, just things to consider as well.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I know you have already spoken to me about this, and I greatly appreciate it!

So here is a little bumpity :)
  • lockelamora88
    Options
    Totally agree. I spent years chasing various "numbers" - BF%, BFI, weight, waist size...all magic numbers that I would never ever tell anyone out side of MFP anyway!!!! It's a miserable journey chasing unattainable (at least healthily) and unsustainable goals.

1. Be HAPPY
    2. LOVE yourself
    3. LOVE others
    4. MOVE
    5. REST
    6. EAT (right)
    7. LIFE comes first.
    ALWAYS

xxx
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    20% - 25% (age adjusted) has been considered healthy for quite some time if IIRC.

Good post.
    Options
    Totally agree. I spent years chasing various "numbers" - BF%, BFI, weight, waist size...all magic numbers that I would never ever tell anyone out side of MFP anyway!!!! It's a miserable journey chasing unattainable (at least healthily) and unsustainable goals.

1. Be HAPPY
    2. LOVE yourself
    3. LOVE others
    4. MOVE
    5. REST
    6. EAT (right)
    7. LIFE comes first.
    ALWAYS

xxx

Love it! Well, even being at those goal...accomplishing it...comes at a great cost. IT's not worth it in the slightest.
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find information on this. Thanks for the post!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Good info! I am currently at 45%(-ish) and would like to get to 30%(-ish). When I was super-active in sports as a teenager, I got my BF% measured at 30% and I looked fabulous back then. I have no desire to go below 25% for sure.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I think this great and important info.

As for myself? Besides breast feeding my daughter for over 2 years, I'm safe, lol ;)
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    absolutely whole heartedly agree with this. there is no right or wrong number for everyone. it is all about being HAPPY with your SELF. feeling at peace with yourself rather than looking to some "number" to allow you to feel that way. glad to see more people realizing this and glad you shared this info. thank you <3
    Options
    absolutely whole heartedly agree with this. there is no right or wrong number for everyone. it is all about being HAPPY with your SELF. feeling at peace with yourself rather than looking to some "number" to allow you to feel that way. glad to see more people realizing this and glad you shared this info. thank you <3

I agree except that there are certain numbers that are more often than not WRONG..even if that number makes you happy. For example, I like being 13-15% bodyfat...I feel confident and sexy BUT this is wrong. It's dangerous and has health consequences that make it less than ideal. So, if your happiness is tied with something unhealthy then it's best to find some way to restructure your thinking and gain some inner peace that transcends the body discontentment that you feel.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    Options
    True Story: my coworker used to be a dancer, she is a health nut, salad dressing is a cheat meal for her..She was trying to get pregnant and couldnt..for years..until she decided to follow the doctors advice and gain some weight/fat....She is due next month!!
    Options
    True Story: my coworker used to be a dancer, she is a health nut, salad dressing is a cheat meal for her..She was trying to get pregnant and couldnt..for years..until she decided to follow the doctors advice and gain some weight/fat....She is due next month!!

YAY! Congrats to her. I am struggling with gaining ENOUGH weight to be fertile again. It's such an emotional roller coaster to feel like a foreigner in your own body...to undo really hard work BUT I have to remember that my body was never meant to fit the mold I forced it into--no one's is. ((Sigh)) You live and learn.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Good info. Thank you for sharing. Though I've still got a ways to go to even see 17%, I appreciate hearing this.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    QFT...

320sw744520.gif

What is it that To has to do with this?
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    This sounds incredibly interesting. Are you telling me that a bf % of less than 22 can result in abnormal menstruation? I had no idea ?????