someone hit and run my car this morning.

Options
peopletalk
peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
so i was outside shovelling then foot of snow we got over night (yuck!) and i noticed a bunch of snow got knocked off my car. my neighbour comes out of her house and told me i was side swiped.
basically my whole drivers side from the front to the back has a huge dent down it. luckily i can still open my doors and drive it. but cops say it's written off.

anyway, my neighbour was nice enough to write down the license plate of the person who did it. she told me they just drove off after it happened. police managed to come by within half an hour and i was told the person who did it is gonna get nailed.
1500$ fine, 8 demerits, and insurance will sky rocket. and they have to goto court.

i know this is ridiculous, but i almost feel bad for the person who did it! they made a poor decision and now they're screwed. lol
am i being ridiculous?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are being ridiculous.

They made the mistake, and now they can learn from it.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    You are just a kind gentle soul.. I have had bad things happen to me but didn't really want revenge on the person who did it.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If this person isnt held accountable now they will never learn the lesson. Feel bad for them if you want, but its a life lesson (and common sense) they should have learned before. They NEED this lesson LOL :happy:
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Yes, you are being ridiculous.

They made the mistake, and now they can learn from it.
    i know, i was angry at first because they didn't leave a note or anything. and apparently it was a woman in her 40's. she should know better. but i feel like one wrong decision and she's paying for it the rest of her life. if she would have rang my doorbell, i wouldn't have cared too much considering my cars old already.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    You are just a kind gentle soul.. I have had bad things happen to me but didn't really want revenge on the person who did it.
    i feel the same way!
  • peopletalk
    Options
    If this person isnt held accountable now they will never learn the lesson. Feel bad for them if you want, but its a life lesson (and common sense) they should have learned before. They NEED this lesson LOL :happy:
    that's very true. i guess they will learn not to just drive off. hell, even I learned a lesson from this.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    if they did it to you and sped away, odds are they've done it before. that driver will probably turn out to have a suspended license, no insurance, and may have even been drunk. push this issue and get them the stiffest penalty possible because if you don't, they might kill somebody next time. trust me on that. a fraternity brother of mine was killed in college by a drunk driver and it turns out the driver had been pulled over and cited earlier in the evening, but the police let him continue to drive. i was shooting the bull with him at a party the night before and dropped by the house the next morning to find out the bad news. the irony was he was walking home to his off campus apartment because he himself was too drunk to drive and some of our other fraternity brothers took his keys from him so he couldn't drive.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Oh, the weather outside is
    But the white stuff's kinda pretty
    But if you can't drive in snow
    Stay at home, stay at home, stay at home
  • peopletalk
    Options
    if they did it to you and sped away, odds are they've done it before. that driver will probably turn out to have a suspended license, no insurance, and may have even been drunk. push this issue and get them the stiffest penalty possible because if you don't, they might kill somebody next time. trust me on that. a fraternity brother of mine was killed in college by a drunk driver and it turns out the driver had been pulled over and cited earlier in the evening, but the police let him continue to drive. i was shooting the bull with him at a party the night before and dropped by the house the next morning to find out the bad news. the irony was he was walking home to his off campus apartment because he himself was too drunk to drive and some of our other fraternity brothers took his keys from him so he couldn't drive.
    oooh that's so sad :( i'm sorry to hear that.
    yeah basically the cops said it's out of my hands now. no matter what i want to do, it wont matter. they're giving him/her 3 charges and so on and so on.
    they're take hit and runs here seriously, and considering they found of chunk of their minivan by my car is good indication that they can't deny it. so they will get punished to the full extent, whether i like it or not.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This is my car and work hard for it and if some did that to it I would not feel any remorse..fk em I am glad they got caught. They get what they deserve. Hopefully they have insurance because if not then you will have to file a civil suit and wait forever to get your money.
    good luck

9755412_7230.jpg
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You are a very kind person to feel that way.

I have been in the situation where I was the person that hit the vehicle and i did start to drive off as I did no damage to their vehicle but a bunch to mine. Got part way down the block and turned around and knocked on doors till i found out whose vehicle it was turned out they were hit in a hit and run month back. We went out surveyed damage and i gave him my information as i scuffed his tire and we made the deal if it was flat in the morning I'd fix/replace the tire. Long story short I'm glad I went back my conscience was clear. It was the right choice. That person knew what they did and made the choice to leave and not come back.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Oh, the weather outside is
    But the white stuff's kinda pretty
    But if you can't drive in snow
    Stay at home, stay at home, stay at home
    i feel this way all winter in my damn city.
    first day of snow, and there's pile ups and crashes like crazy.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I attempted to run once after I accidently slammed into a parked car, was too rattled to do so, and it turns out the poor lady I hit was in a very bad spot financially. She would have been screwed if I had actually driven off.

I learned my lesson. That lady who hit you will learn hers.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Be glad that the cops actually bothered to track down the car. My car got involved in a hit and run, I actually had pictures of the other car backed into my car (coutisy of my friend who was quick with the cell phone camera) and driving away. The cops basically said there was nothing they could do because it was an out of state plate (aka.. they were too lazy to do the work).

So I drove for years with a dent in the front of my car. My insurance would have gone up because I would have had to file through my isurance to get it fixed.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    They would have gotten off scott free had your neighbor not gotten their license plate, and they would have never come back to "apologize". They messed up, they didn't try to fix it, forget them.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Be glad that the cops actually bothered to track down the car. My car got involved in a hit and run, I actually had pictures of the other car backed into my car (coutisy of my friend who was quick with the cell phone camera) and driving away. The cops basically said there was nothing they could do because it was an out of state plate (aka.. they were too lazy to do the work).

So I drove for years with a dent in the front of my car. My insurance would have gone up because I would have had to file through my isurance to get it fixed.
    ugh that sucks. sorry to hear.
    yeah i was stoked when i found out we got a license plate. even the cop on the phone was like "you're a lucky girl, you should go out and buy a lottery ticket! hit and runs usually all get away with it!"
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    When they left without leaving a note or trying to contact you, they lost all rights to your sympathy.
  • Bigbill810
    Bigbill810 Posts: 117
    Options
    so i was outside shovelling then foot of snow we got over night (yuck!) and i noticed a bunch of snow got knocked off my car. my neighbour comes out of her house and told me i was side swiped.
    basically my whole drivers side from the front to the back has a huge dent down it. luckily i can still open my doors and drive it. but cops say it's written off.

anyway, my neighbour was nice enough to write down the license plate of the person who did it. she told me they just drove off after it happened. police managed to come by within half an hour and i was told the person who did it is gonna get nailed.
    1500$ fine, 8 demerits, and insurance will sky rocket. and they have to goto court.

i know this is ridiculous, but i almost feel bad for the person who did it! they made a poor decision and now they're screwed. lol
    am i being ridiculous?

You are being ridiculous. Accountability. They made the mistake, they should have to deal with the consequences. Plain and simple.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Would you feel bad if someone broke their hand and had to take days off work after punching you in the face...?

I feel no pity AT ALL for that person. It should be an automatic loss of license if you pull that crap and shirk your responsibility after screwing over someone else. Even if you have comprehensive insurance, you have a deductible and now the pain of having to go find another car.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When they left without leaving a note or trying to contact you, they lost all rights to your sympathy.

Yup!! And as others have pointed out, they need to be accountable for their actions.