Best exercises to burn calories for large people

Options
Just bought a HRM and was discouraged to see that while riding a stationary bike for 30mins that I only burned 198 calories vs MFP's idea of 481 calories. I haven't gotten to "walk" with it yet, just tried the biking. I'm not a runner, being close to 300# but was wondering what type of exercises the larger people do to burn fat. I see walk, walk, walk. Maybe that's what we are limited to until we can lose some weight?

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Look into strength training, you will lose pure poundage slightly more slowly but it reshaped my body like nothing else. And don't worry about killing yourself with cardio to create a deficit, if you're following MFP or TDEE-20% you're already eating at a deficit.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    Try strength training and dancing (Zumba).
  • sjhalida
    sjhalida Posts: 15
    Options
    I am a larger gal too...just over 300 and I have not yet purchased a HRM so I don't know numbers for sure but I love the elliptical machine. I feel like it does not put as much stress on my joints as running but I can use a machine that has arm movements as well and I feel like I get a good full body workout. I do pair that with strength training as well however. Give it a try :-)
  • goodooc
    goodooc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing at home. It burns a lot of calories and being at home you can go at your own pace.
  • KellyOnlySmaller
    KellyOnlySmaller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical and also do a ton of different exercise DVDs at home. I burn about 400 calories doing 35 minutes on the elliptical. I really push myself and that helps the calorie burn! DVDs are just as effective if you push yourself. I do a lot of the Walk at Home series, and I also like 30-Day Shred. I'm sure you'll be impressed by how much you burn doing other activities! My HRM is a huge motivator to me :)

Good luck!

Kelly
  • OCMarkW
    OCMarkW Posts: 2
    Options
    Elliptical, aerobics, crunches / sit-up thingies. All pretty boring and easy to cheat on. So what I get folks to do is go on a hike loop with a big 1000 foot "hill", LOL. The key words here are HIKE, not a walk, and LOOP - as in you have to finish. When folks start the hike, it takes 2.0+ hours, after 2-3 weeks they get down to 1.5 hours. This requires hills.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whatever cardio activity that you'll work the hardest doing. Calorie burns are far more about the effort/intensity than the actual activity itself.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you feel like doing. You need to do it with as much effort as you can though. Get your heart rate up there if you want big burns. Pedal that bike like you stole it, walk like zombies are after you. Leslie Sansone has some great DVD's called Walk Away the Pounds for indoor workouts.

Seriously though, most of your weight loss will come from your food intake. Exercise is great but your diet will be 90% of your weight loss. There's a saying that weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I too love the elliptical. I can "jog" on it. LOL But it does get the heart rate up there. I too was shocked at what a difference was from the HRM to this site was when I got my HRM. Some are much lower than what it says, some way higher. I say start out little and increase each week, whatever you do. It can be done that is what is important here! Good luck on your journey.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What brand/type of HRM do you have? Some are better than others.
    Also, did set it up with your current stats (height, weight, gender, age)? That makes a difference.

Don't let your size limit you. I know folks who are 200+ and run in 5ks or longer races. If you don't feel you're fit enough or are restricted by doctor's orders, that's different but if you're ok physically for the most part, maybe you can up the anty a bit.

Things you can do on the bike to challenge yourself...

If you can, increase the resistance on that bike. I find that pedaling fast doesn't burn as many calories as pedalling hard.

Do things with your arms to increase your heart rate. Do punches, both forward and up. Get some hand weights and do bicep curls, tricep overheads, weighted punches, shoulder raises, etc. MIght as well use the time wisely. Slow down the pedaling while you do these to make sure your form is still good.

And yes, walking is great exercise! You can also challenge yourself with that. If you have to start out with a short/slow walk that's fine (that's where I started at) but continue to challenge yourself by walking further and faster and find hillier routes and eventually you can add in some running intervals and maybe even get to the point of just going for a run.

You could also swim! :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy enough to do consistently!

As you get used to exercise, you should go faster and/or increase the resistance if you are using a machine.

I would also encourage some kind of strength training. I am not on the lift heavy bandwagon, but I do notice a difference when I do strength training. I am currently using resistance bands, because I have a set that makes it easy to grow into. If you go with dumbbells, consider the kind that you add plates to: 5 lbs. will not be challenging for very long.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The only limits are those you set yourself:flowerforyou: . If you like walking, walk, if you like swimming, do that. There's no reason why you shouldn't have a go at running if you want to (assuming no medical reasons holding you back) .You just need to find something that you are happy to do regularly, and maybe more than one thing to stop you from getting bored.

198 calories burned in 30 minutes is pretty reasonable IMHO. Because as you get fitter, and can go for longer, that will soon be almost 400 calories, because you have managed an hour.

(Me; 200+ and running a Half Marathon in five weeks).
  • dawn007413
    dawn007413 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies. I had been riding either 30 or 40mins and was "claiming" like 600 calories for 40mins (per MFP). Boy was that wrong! I am so glad that I bought a HRM. It was a big shock to see the calorie difference was so much. I am DEFINITELY interested in seeing how to burn more calories. We'll see what I can find to do, that I enjoy, otherwise it will seem too much like work and I know I won't be consistent.