Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just get the stuff at Wal-Mart actually I think that most grocery stores have it. I forget the name though. One can pay more for others and get bells and whistles or go cheap and get just the extra protein one is looking for.

Body Fortress is what I get at walmart.

The Chocolate Peanutbutter is yummy.
  • lraien
    lraien Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mike's Mix - you can find them on Facebook or at mikesmixrecoverydrink.com
    I just use the plain whey in my frozen berries vitamix morning blend but they have some flavored options as well.

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
    Serving Size: 1 scoop (28 grams)
    Servings Per Container: 60
    Calories: 114
    Calories from fat: 13
    Total fat: 1.5 grams
    Saturated fat: 1 gram
    Trans fat 0
    Cholesterol: 50 mg
    Sodium: 125 mg
    Total Carb (as lactose): 2.5 grams
    Sugar: 2.5 grams
    Protein: 23 grams
    Calcium: 80 mg
    Phosphorus: 100 mg
    Magnesium: 16 mg
    Ingredients: 100% Whey Protein Concentrate.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I picked up some Designer Whey, chocolate flavor (not sure the actual company who makes it), at trader joe's the other day on a whim. Its pretty good, 18g protein, 2 sugars. I've been mixing it with almond milk and putting some ice in, tastes like a milkshake.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I use Optimum: Gold Standard 100% Whey. I use the strawberry flavor shaken with soy milk as a meal replacement. I like the taste of the two combination.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i use body fortress and add frozen fruit to it .makes a great breakfast smoothie ;)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I like the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey, they sell it at Walmart and it's cheap. It tastes really good and each scoop is only 140 calories and 26g protein. I use it in smoothies with almond milk and fruit, or I have made more creative recipes like protein pancakes and brownies. Everything has turned out great! I have tried both the vanilla and chocolate peanut butter flavors and they are each amazing. I prefer vanilla because it's more versatile. I can always just add cocoa powder and peanut butter to my shake if I feel like a reeses smoothie!
  • mizshyne
    mizshyne Posts: 8
    Options
    For my first protein powder and I've been using it ever since; I bought the ISOflex Whey Protein Isolate, (Chocolate Flavour) by Allmax nutrition.

I loved this particular brand mostly because a) It has a good taste b) It dissolves properly :) Hope this helps good luck.
  • OceanAvenue85
    Options
    I use Isagenix IsaLean Shakes, I've had fantastic results with them and there is no need to sweeten them or add dairy (unless you prefer to). Creamy Dutch Chocolate is my absolute fave... I usually blend my shake with a Banana, Ice & Water for Breakfast each morning. Vanilla I usually save to have as a treat with fresh Fruit and sometimes Veggies as well.

http://www.isagenix.com/ca/en/isaleanshake_new.dhtml

Feel free to add me and or Message me if you ever have any questions or would like more info. There are plenty of great brands out there, it's just a matter of doing your research and choosing what is best for you!
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Total Lean 25 from GNC?

I've used this- tried the cookies and cream. Wonderful! My husband uses GNC Wheybolic protein and I've started using this now as well.
  • pink_adrenaline
    Options
    I am absolutely addicted and obsessed with my triple chocolate protein powder FROM WALMART baby lol it was like 20 bucks- six star whey protein elite series. A-MA-ZING! Throw in some instant coffee, a tbs of peanut butter and you got DESSERT after a work out! I LOVE IT! I drink it on "off days" as a meal replacement also. Best of luck!!!

---also new and only been 7 days-- BUT 7 HARDCORE CONSISTENT DAYS for the first time ever. CHEERS!
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bumping so I can find me one when I finish mine
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that everyone has their favourite brands. To be honest it's all pretty much the same. Whey is extracted from Milk - pure and simple. Therefore Whey is Whey. However, there are other things to consider. Some Wheys are processed to isolate the whey protein and therefore delivering a higher protein content per gram than others. When opting for these expect to pay more. Some wheys mix better than others and some taste better than others. I have tried loads of different. My favourite was Garnell for taste and viscosity, but now I buy everything from Myprotein.com. A great selection of wheys offering many flavours and different levels of isolate from 80% to 95%. I'd say look for a whey that offers 20g of protein for around 100 calories - that's just a guide.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    also just my advice but stay well clear of maximuscle unless you like the taste of feet lol
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    VPX zero - lowest calories to highest protein ratio I've found so far. Also Gold Standard 100% Whey
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I just get the stuff at Wal-Mart actually I think that most grocery stores have it. I forget the name though. One can pay more for others and get bells and whistles or go cheap and get just the extra protein one is looking for.

Body Fortress is what I get at walmart.

The Chocolate Peanutbutter is yummy.

What section of wal-mart can I find this in?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that everyone has their favourite brands. To be honest it's all pretty much the same. Whey is extracted from Milk - pure and simple. Therefore Whey is Whey. However, there are other things to consider. Some Wheys are processed to isolate the whey protein and therefore delivering a higher protein content per gram than others. When opting for these expect to pay more. Some wheys mix better than others and some taste better than others. I have tried loads of different. My favourite was Garnell for taste and viscosity, but now I buy everything from Myprotein.com. A great selection of wheys offering many flavours and different levels of isolate from 80% to 95%. I'd say look for a whey that offers 20g of protein for around 100 calories - that's just a guide.

The way they are processed and the source of the ingredients are important, as well. I want nothing to do with a heat-processed whey or one that is made from milk full of antibiotics and growth hormones.
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I am looking to purchase whey protein powder for the first time. However I need some help with selectinga brand. If anyone can please give me suggestions I would really apprciate it. Thank you!! :)

If you're following a balanced diet, you're probably getting plenty of protein so I wouldn't go overboard on purchasing powders. They do come in handy to add into MRPs in a time-crunch or as a part of a post-workout meal.

That said, my favs are Dymatize and Optimum Nutrition's vanilla flavors for the cost, taste and versatility.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix IsaLean Shakes, I've had fantastic results with them and there is no need to sweeten them or add dairy (unless you prefer to). Creamy Dutch Chocolate is my absolute fave... I usually blend my shake with a Banana, Ice & Water for Breakfast each morning. Vanilla I usually save to have as a treat with fresh Fruit and sometimes Veggies as well.

http://www.isagenix.com/ca/en/isaleanshake_new.dhtml

Feel free to add me and or Message me if you ever have any questions or would like more info. There are plenty of great brands out there, it's just a matter of doing your research and choosing what is best for you!

Isagenix is meant as a meal replacement.. not a protein suppliement if I'm not mistaken. For the price of it, I would rather go get a protein powder from Walmart and use that. Two scoops of Isagenix for only 18g of protein... two scoops of my Body Fortress gives me 50g.

OP, I use Body Fortress Chocolate or Muscle Maxx from Walmart. Muscle Maxx comes in vanilla and chocolate... both are amazing and only $13 a container (smaller container though). This one is great with just milk... tastes like chocolate milk. It has the right amount of sweetness and mixes without getting thick. I have the Body Fortress chocolate as well since i"m trying to use up two containers my mother gave me. I'm not the biggest fan of this one as I find it is thick and I have to add either cocoa, sweetener or a half scoop of my other powder to make this one taste better. Others love the flavour though. For $25 it's a great deal. I will be picking up the Vanilla next time my store has it on sale for $20.

Just keep in mind, a balanced diet will give you the nutrients you need. Protein powders are suppliments to be used when you don't reach your protein goals from real food. They aren't magically, won't make you put on muscle and won't make you burn more fat.
  • Innerbeauty31
    Innerbeauty31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My first purchase of protein powder was: Nutribiotic Vegan 80% Rice Protein - Vanilla.

It has 60 calories per heaping Tablespoon
    Zero Fat
    Zero Cholesterol
    10 mg Sodim
    2 grams Total Carbs
    12 grams Protein

Ingredients:
    Enzymatically processed rice protein from whole grain, sprouted brown rice; natural vanilla flavor.

Personal opinion - it's a little chalky - however, I enjoy it with Almond milk with some frozen fruit blended. My 13 year old son enjoys it too! I haven't tried it plain in water yet - but doubt it'd taste too good (as it is not sweet itself). However, it's probably one of the healthiest protein powders out there - with ingredients you know and understand. (non-GMO) And I love that it's LOW CARB!! Some of those powders are have really high carbs!

Gluten Free
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mjk7y7kHIW1r79k32.gif