Honest opinions wanted

Options
Ok...
So, I've been on here a few months, not lost a great deal of weight but at the same time haven’t put on either. I'm pretty sure it's because I’m not doing much (read ANY) exercise. My new gym open on the 25th, I’m having my induction tonight. It’s opposite my work and my colleagues have joined so there is a bit of friendly competition to motivate me.
My main aim is to not wobble, I have a nice little padded layer all over and, excuse if the terminology is wrong but, to me that means reducing fat and increasing muscle.

I'll post some info below, open my diary and would love to hear what people think, genuinely.

Height - 5'10"
CW 167lb
GW 154lb (or when I'm happy with mirror and clothes)

Measurements (02/03/13)
Neck - 13"
Upper arm R/L - 12"/12"
Full bust - 37"
Under bust - 34"
Waist (smallest part) - 29"
Hips - 36"
Bum - 42"
Thighs R/L - 24"/24"
BMI is apparently 24.1 (can this really be accurate online? http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/)

I started on 1230cal which MFP set, then read about the TDEE-20% thing which did make some sense to me. My BMR came out at 1586 TDEE came out at 1903 so minus 20% it’s 1522, I’m still trying to get my head round the eating more to lose theory so met just above middle at 1400. My marcos are set at 40/30/30, I do slip up more than I’m happy with and am hoping that when I start at the gym and can enjoy eating a bit more I will make better choices in food.

Let me know if I’ve missed something or if I'm crazy or delusional etc

I’ve got a thick skin so do your worst :wink:

Replies

• haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, because apparently I am you!

I'm 5'10, stuck at 168, almost the exact same measurements and also have my macros set at 40/30/30. The only difference appears to be that I work out 6 days a week.

I am pretty sure I've been undereating (net calories only coming out at 1000-1100) so have been consciously eating more to end up closer to 1500 net calories (based on TDEE-20%) but I just started that this week, so I don't know if it was the right decision or a wrong one.

anyway, I'm curious to hear what others tell you! =)
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just glanced at the last few days of your diary. I'd start by making some changes with your breakfast. Add in more protein!! I eat egg whites + 1 whole egg as part of my breakfast at least a couple of days a week. I make a conscious effort to eat well at breakfast because it tends to lead to better choices for me throughout the day. Also, I happen to workout in the morning between breakfast and lunch, so it is good fuel for the workout.

Anyway, my diary is open to my friends (I have 2!!) so if you want to view it we can become friends. I have only been tracking on here for a few weeks but don't cheat often, other than a serious flavored-latte problem!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To me this all sounds good. When you start exercising you want to consume some nice lean protein before and/or after. Eggs, chicken, or Protein shakes are great!

Just don't hurt yourself lifting too much! Remember, it's ok to start with light weights at the gym, you don't need to lift 30lb dumbbells. Find the correct form and getting into a habit is much more important. You can always do more reps. It's ok to start with light weights (1-5lbs) and do more reps, especially if you're not used to lifting. Try 15 reps, 1 minute break, another 15 reps, 1 minute break, 20 reps. Then change into a different position/muscle group. For instance, start with bicep curls, then afterwards switch to triceps. Or start with leg pushes and leg lifts. Find a weight that is comfortable, and do more reps rather than heavy lifting. Alternate each day: biceps+triceps; legs; shoulders; chest; lunges etc.

Do what you can and don't worry about anybody else in there - everyone started somewhere, and a lot of the "healthier" people are doing their lifting wrong. :laugh: Just get moving, see what you can do. Walk on the treadmill at a slow pace if needed, try to reach 30 minutes at a slow walk. Killing yourself now will just deter you from continuing. Once you start to like it, once you get into a habit of going often, increase what you are doing, try different exercises/machines.

If you have to stop, then STOP! Don't injure yourself. Just do what you can, when you can! Remember: It Doesn't Get Easier, You Just Get Better!!
  • BrittneyT2
    BrittneyT2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both stalled out for a whole month. I used several calculators and determined we weren't eating enough. Bumped my 5'10 169lb husband up to 1700-1800 from 1200-1300 last week and he's already dropped 2 pounds! He did gain the first few days of eating that much more, but the last 4 days it has been steadily dropping off. I'm 5'4 was stuck at 112 for a month eating around 1200/day. I increased to 1300-1400day a week ago and this morning was down to 110. So yes, the eating more thing can work if you haven't been eating enough. I read that it's common to gain at first or see no change for up to a few weeks before you start losing again. I'm at the point now where I don't want the number to drop much since I'm within 2lbs of the minimum healthy weight for my height, but I have a lot of body fat to lose still that I need to replace with muscle, so that will be an interesting endeavor....

That's great that you'll have a gym right by your work! Making exercise convenient will definitely help you do it more, and having workout partners is great motivation!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm 5'10 and 168 as well. I am wearing a Body Media Fit and I burn about 2400-2500 calories a day on a good workout day. I am eating 1500 because I want to be at 155 eventually. Weight training 3x a week and cardio 5x a week, but as soon as I'm at 155 I'll concentrate solely on muscle building. I agree with more protein and you can probably eat more than you think you can.

Our measurements are exactly the same other than thigh and butt, lol.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing it all right - the only thing I can mention is something I learned when I watched Forks Over Knives off of Netflix - there is ZERO nutritional value in meat, dairy and oil, esp the oil - that is pure fat, skyrockets cholesterol, leads to diabetes and heart attacks due to blockages and it is in almost everything.

I switched to a plant based program 35 days ago and feel amazing - I simply cannot go back and put processed food or any of those 3 categories back into my body. I agree with 20% less the 1900 TDEE - you should eat at 1522 for sure - I upped mine a week ago to 1600. Then experiment - try removing oil - you can saute in veg stock or water and for salads there are a TON of no oil recipes.

If you want to know more, watch that documentary or hit up You Tube and search Dr. Esselstyn (Bill Clinton's doc who is in the documentary) or anything on talks reg plant based eating - type in NO OIL with plant based and find Dr. Klaper and Dr. Esselstyn - it really is pure fat and if you go to the supermarket, in the beginning this takes time but it is eye opening, read the label of ingredients - you will find some sort of oil in almost everything.

I now only shop whole foods or in Natures Marketplace in the Wegmans stores here - I read all labels but now I sort of know which ones are good and which are off limits.
  • skyfall87
    skyfall87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you're very tall, so you're not going to weigh 120lbs, (unless you want to look sick!)

If you're goal is to firm up, then just leave it at that, don't worry about the scale.
    Keep track of your measurements, that's where you will probably see more results, you can also have a trainer measure your body fat too.
    It doesn't sound like you really need to lose weight, sounds like you just want to tone and define. Remember Jeans and Bikini's don't lie! Also, use measuring cups and spoons. REALLY look at your portions and read what the portions are according to the label.
    Measure it out! You might see more results! =)
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Haanmom - I would love to get up and have a decent breakfast but I am the WORST at getting up but might boil some eggs the night before, hmmm plan, thank you. Can't work out till 7pm because of work an I'm sick of telling myself "ooo I'll run tonight" then finding an excuse not to, hence waiting for the gym and hyping myself up for it, I actually can't wait to get in there now.

Arkhos - The treadmill and eliptical I know I can do 30 min at a half decent pace/resistance for someone who doesn't exercise enough, it's the weights bit I'm not looking forward to. Ta for the tips though, less is more as they say
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that with so little to lose, it may take longer than you'd think. Your body likes to keep a little fat around (evolution hasn't caught up to our overabundance of food) in case of lean times, and it's reluctant to let go of that last bit. Don't be discouraged if the scale doesn't move, or moves very little, for a while. I wouldn't weight more than once every 2 weeks if I were you as you're likely to get discouraged.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Options
    :smile: Wow thanks eveyone, wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly, lots of good tips. Couldn't be a veggie though, even if I do like veggie lasagne and mousaka, eating meat is the least of my "bad" habits oops
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    I suppose this is what people on MFP mean when there are rude people on the boards - for the record, you can get all the protein and nutrients from fruits, veggies and grains............the documentary is based on 2 well known medical Dr's who researched this for many DECADES (The China Study is one well known one), one of which is Bill Clinton's doctor who stepped in when his stents failed. It is not a half wit idea and I have run into very ignorant people like yourself who dismiss data without actually researching it - hence, why the country has soaring diabetes, obesity and heart attack #'s.

I don't judge you and I had hoped to not be judged here - when people post to ask for help, ALL opinions and things offered that have worked for people are replied to on the post - and there is ALOT of variety here - you take what makes sense and what feels right but to slam someone online behind a mouse and computer screen -absolutely classless in my opinion.

If I were MFP, I'd block you from the board entirely - this is why people get upset and discouraged and don't stick with it - do you understand the meaning of the word "support" honey? What you wrote is the absolute opposite - what I wrote were suggestions like scanning labels (if interested) to see how much is in the foods most eat - take it or leave it but to LOUDLY slam it like you did, wow, so beneath having any character.
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    I absolutely do and if you watch the documentary, do the research, it is all supported - so sorry, I really am not wrong but I understand when you are not educated in something, it is very easy to attack a new concept.

But again, this forum is to present your success, what worked for you to the poster for idea sharing, without judgement like yours and the other poster - which by the way I just reported to MFP as being very attacking so hopefully it is removed or blocked promptly.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Options
    WOAH! Hijacking my thread here people :cry:

Kmcos, I don't personally agree with your choice either, thats that's exactly what it is, your choice, and if it works for you fab! You will have a lot of people who will disagree with you and put their arguments across, this is an online forum, the words are not personal attacks against you so coming back saying you would ban everyone isn't gonna make people agree with you. Maybe next time don'tccome in all guns blazing saying 'meat has no nutritional value', if that was true there would be no carnivores on earth. Yes youcan get protein from other sources, doesn't mean they aren't also in meat. Now breathe

Jmr and jossfit feel strongly about their point and were defending it, same way you came back and defend your point. Yes some people might have taken their tones as strong, this is the internet take all with a pinchof salt.

Now all go argue somewhere else so I can get more advice!!!

Please and thank you :smile: