Looking for some perspective

Options
I have been successful in the weight loss - down 72 pounds in just over 2 years.

I recently began heavy lifting (5 weeks now). I am not so focused on the weight anymore...but want to make everything tighter and leaner. i do still want to get to my goal, though.

I still eat at a deficit based on TDEE. (10% because I am so close to ultimate weight goal).

In 3 months, however, I have had no movement in weight. None

My question is this: With all the TDEE logic and don't eat under your BMR logic I cannot imagine lowering my caloric intake (currently 1640 non-workout days, up to 2000 on workout days to avoid eating below BMR). I am not so sure raising it will work either, and I do not want to gain back fat weight.

What would you do??? All the different calculators show a different TDEE number (mostly around 1800) and my HRM shows almost 2500 average calories burned a day (minus a 20% error adjustment = 2000).

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    bump
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting adds muscle that is heavier than fat. so if you are eating good and lifting heavy it's possible you have lost some fat but gained muscle instead. that's why there is no change on scales. it's good idea to focus on overall appearance (everything tighter and leaner) and body fat % not so much on weight.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    With so little left to lose, you will see the most progress with measurements not the scale. I would suggest using a measuring tape from now on.

I also eat TDEE-10%, and yes it is a slow process, but it will get you there. Take weekly pictures of your body and I bet you will SEE the change before you feel it or see it on the scale.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My advice: try 12 calories for each pound of your ultimate goal weight to get to your ultimate goal weight. At goal, eat around 15 calories per pound of your goal weight to maintain it.

Adjust accordingly.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You should have movement in weight over 3 months. What do consider heavy lifting? Are you just lifting weights for 30 minutes (like 15-25 reps in sets of 4) or heavy lifting of maximum weight for 1-5 reps? Neither is wrong, I just want to understand what you are doing. I would look at dropping the calories a little (maybe 200 calories)and make sure you are consuming lean protein (eggs, chicken, protein shakes?) before and/or after your workout. Try it and after a week or two see if there's a change?
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Actually, reading over your topic again, Are you fine with your current weight??? If so, then forget the scale! Exercise is about inches, toning and feeling stronger and healthier, You want to use the tape measure over the scale! Awesome job on losing all that weight by the way!!! :happy:

By the way to show the difference, I've only lost 41 lbs in 8 months, but lost 74 inches as of December (about 15 lbs ago)
  • jzammetti
    Options
    You should have movement in weight over 3 months. What do consider heavy lifting? Are you just lifting weights for 30 minutes (like 15-25 reps in sets of 4) or heavy lifting of maximum weight for 1-5 reps? Neither is wrong, I just want to understand what you are doing. I would look at dropping the calories a little (maybe 200 calories)and make sure you are consuming lean protein (eggs, chicken, protein shakes?) before and/or after your workout. Try it and after a week or two see if there's a change?

I have just begin the NROLFW - just finished stage 1 which is primarily to prep my ligaments, tendons and joints. So, weights increased every workout and reps began at 15 and reduced to 8 over 5 weeks. (example, barbell squats began at 45# x15 x2 and at the end were 120# x8x2 - For these, I could not do 9 reps, but completed the 8 with some effort). After a week of rest, I begin stage 2 which is different exercises (or harder variations) with heavier weights and fewer reps.

I do have protein shakes and lots of lean protein...
  • jzammetti
    Options
    Actually, reading over your topic again, Are you fine with your current weight??? If so, then forget the scale! Exercise is about inches, toning and feeling stronger and healthier, You want to use the tape measure over the scale! Awesome job on losing all that weight by the way!!! :happy:

By the way to show the difference, I've only lost 41 lbs in 8 months, but lost 74 inches as of December (about 15 lbs ago)

Awesome job!

I go back and forth about being happy or not...I know. crazy
    But, I guess the number doesn't matter so much, but I just think there should be more progress. I was ok with staying hte same for most of hte past 3 months...but now I am getting annoyed. I don't know if I should decrease or inrease calories...
  • jzammetti
    Options
    bump