HOLD ON. What's up with carbs and MFP

Options
Why does MFP set my carb goal to the 170's or 190's and it varies between that daily??? And I'm actually coming close to this? IS THIS IN GRAMS?? Isn't that like- taking a plunge into weight gaining hell?? Shouldn't I be consuming like in the 60's or less of carbs? I'm overwhelmed. :/

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

People need to jump off the low carb bandwagon. I understand it may work for some but carbs is not what makes you lose weight. Carbs have been given a bad rap for far too long.
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you let MFP set your set your macros I think it set them pretty high, 55-60%. You can adjust this by customing them yourself in the "Goals" tab.

But don't be afraid of carbs, just make sure you're eating the right type. You'll lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your TDEE. If you like carbs, and aren't diabetic, knock yourself out. :-)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think carbs are the devil? Your calorie intake will determine your weight loss far more than how many grams of carbs you eat, how much fat you eat or whether you sniffed a chip. It's not rocket science. Expend more than you take in to lose weight.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Why are you overwhlemed? Do you think that carbs are bad? Mfp isn't a low carb lifestyle (60 grams is). An apple has approx. 20 grams of carbs. You can set them to what you want, you dont have to go with what mfp gives you.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Carbs are yummy..

I'll take em..

*gasp* i lost weight too..

Eat less calories and the weight goes away.. eat more and the weight comes back..

it's really simple..
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options

People need to jump off the low carb bandwagon. I understand it may work for some but carbs is not what makes you lose weight. Carbs have been given a bad rap for far too long.

Love love love love carbs :). I try an keep them simple because sometimes it can upset my stomach. But my favourite binge food ever is pasta in massive quantities. Love it! I could never imagine cutting this out. Hell, I am typically over my Carbs and Sugars from all the delicious fruit. And losing very successfully. 5 lbs, 2 1/2 wks Hells yes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    carbs are good, they are the fuel that you need, there is a good carb group on here too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP's default for carbs is 55% of your calorie intake. If you log exercise it increases your calories, therefore will increase your carbs.

If you would prefer to aim a little lower you can manually set your own goals.

ETA - yes it's in grams.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your carbs. There's no reason not to; they're delicious and although popular wisdom is to hate on them, they do not affect your weight as long as you stay within your appropriate calories.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The reason your carb goal changes from day to day is that you exercise. When you burn calories exercising, MFP adds it back into your calorie goal, which, in turn, ups your carb, protein, and fat goal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • Innerbeauty31
    Innerbeauty31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The thing with carbs are the BAD and GOOD kind - choose wisely. Here is a list of GOOD carbs! Stick with these, and you'll be fine! :)

LIST OF SLOW CARBS TO LOSE WEIGHT

Non-starchy vegetables, including carrots, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, tomato, cauliflower, cabbage, snow peas, asparagus and broccoli, have very little carbohydrates and a low GI ranging between 10 and 15 for most vegetables. Therefore, these vegetables are slow carbs and are helpful for weight control.

Sweet Potatoes
    Regular potatoes have a medium to high GI, between 60 and 80, but they can be replaced with sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes provide extra beta-carotene and their carbohydrates are digested more slowly with a GI of 48.

Pasta is a slow carbohydrate, with a low GI ranging between 25 and 50. Cooking pasta al dente can slow down the digestion of the carbs it contains; thoroughly cooked pastas have a higher GI. Choose whole wheat pasta or pasta with added protein to further decrease the rate of absorption of the carbohydrates it provides.

Ancient grains, such as quinoa, bulgur and barley, are packed with health-protective nutrients in addition to providing fiber and a lower GI. Include them as a slow carb option in your diet instead of rice or potatoes to increase your energy levels and make weight control easier.

Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast, but choose larger flakes, also called old-fashioned oats, to ensure the carbohydrates it contains are digested more slowly. Instant oatmeals are made of smaller flakes and often contain added sugar, which increases its GI.

Low-fat dairy products, such as milk and yogurt, also have a low GI, according to the "International Table of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values" published in 2002 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Include these slow carb choices at your meals or as a healthy snack.

Tropical fruits have higher GIs when compared to fruits grown in temperate climate regions. Choose apples, oranges, pears, prunes, apricots and peaches as slow carb choices. Berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries also are slow carb options.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/220433-list-of-slow-carbs-to-lose-weight/#ixzz2NXRosEB0
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs are fine. I have to limit the kind I eat because of prediabetes, but I still eat them. Just in whole grains, no refined flour and don't go crazy on them..
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    True. But high glycemic carbs- sugar, white bread, french fries, etc.- increase hunger pains. At least they make me hungry and it is difficult to control the amount of calories eaten when getting hunger pains from the high glycemic carbs. Many on MFP have no problem controlling the amount of calories eaten when they eat pop tarts, sweets, bread, etc. Wish I were one of them, but I am not. I get insulin spikes and hunger. However, I still eat them occasionally.

• DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Carbs/Glutens that are grains like wheat & rice help the body retain water thus causing one to be heavier. I'm doing a low carb diet as a lifestyle not just to lose weight b/c I'm hypertensive which could lead to diabetes & othe health issues. I don't want to get any sicker than I am so I've decided to adjust what I eat along a low carb/gluten free & low sodium diet. So far I've los 25 lbs. & it hasn't been the easist chang in my life b/c I do like breads etc. My wake up call is all the health issues my family suffers from & losing weight was only a small piece of my issue. The weight can come off & I could still end up w/diabetes so I'm just being extra cautious not to rock that boat any time soon. Just trying to live a healty life for as long as I can & if that means to give up carbs/gluten that's a small price to pay & I'm speaking for myself. :flowerforyou:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Are your carbs varying daily due to your exercise calories that you're inputting? Otherwise they shouldn't change.

P.S. I didn't read any responses so sorry if I"m repeating.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

OMG yes. The low carb craze is like the low fat craze of the 80s and 90s. Now it's morphed into this new animal where suddenly everyone I know who was PERFECTLY FINE before suddenly has "realized" they are allergic to gluten. I don't invite anyone to my house for dinner anymore because perfectly healthy people whine endlessly about what I cook and it isn't low carb enough or gluten free or vegan or whatever. Fine - don't come over.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Only diabetic folks or folks that are on the cusp need to worry about carbs... I am trying to lower my A1c (the average amount of sugar in your blood determined by measuring a hemoglobin A1c level...usually gives you an average from the last 120days or so) so i have limited my carbs to less than say 60-80/day.
  • keepitoff321
    keepitoff321 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was on a low carb diet once, 100g/day. I did loose the weight but I was tired all the time. And now, I'm plump again. lol I'd recommend focusing on balanced, healthy meals and keep and eye on your calories. The right carbs are good for you and you need them for energy.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Why does MFP set my carb goal to the 170's or 190's and it varies between that daily??? And I'm actually coming close to this? IS THIS IN GRAMS?? Isn't that like- taking a plunge into weight gaining hell?? Shouldn't I be consuming like in the 60's or less of carbs? I'm overwhelmed. :/

Don't be overwhelmed. Weight loss is simple...eat slightly fewer calories than you burn. The person who posted "Carbs don't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat" is exactly right. Carbs are fine, carbs are not the enemy, you can eat carbs and lose weight....just breathe. It's oooookaaaayyy.

I do agree with some of the posters who say that certain carbs, particularly sugary things, make them feel hungrier. It sucks, but I find this is true for me also. It's not true for everyone though--some people can just have ONE scoop of ice cream and be fine. I'm just not one of them...