Hungry!!!

Options
I don't know if this happens to other people, but I find that after a few really good days where I have been eating well and staying within my calorie range and feeling satisfied, I will have a day where I am extremely hungry even though I'm eating the same and this extreme hunger leads to intense carb cravings (like for cookies). Does this happen to other people? I'm wondering if it's more a mental thing or a physical need my body has for more carbs? To indulge or not to indulge? That is the question.

Replies

• rfuchs
    rfuchs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My belief is if you consistently deny yourself foods that people consider "bad" you are just going to crave them more. I find that a little indulging every now and then is a good thing. I don't feel deprived but I stay in control of how much I eat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me. Actually it happens to me once or twice a week no matter how I eat on other days. I mentioned it to my daughter and she said "Yeah, I have those 'hollow days' too."
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
  • mandygriggs3
    mandygriggs3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree - if I deny myself food I love, I seem to want it even more!

I do have days like you're talking about though. I had one today actually! I have ate so well the last few days and stayed on track but after my walk at lunch, I was seriously starving. I wanted some Sonic cheese tots ssssooo bad! Haha! I got some - I'll work out later to make up for it.

I think on days when you feel more hungry, try adding in some extra protein. Like a little extra chicken or boiled eggs on your salad, etc. to help curb the hunger. I don't really have a lot of advice. just know you're not alone!
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I do allow myself one indulge day a week. It might slow my progress, but helps by giving me something to look forward to. For the rest of the week, if I find I'm getting hungry and craving junk, I eat nuts - walnuts, brazils, and almonds.
    Today after lunch I was getting those I'm starving cravings, so I popped down to the nutrition store and bought a "Simply" Bar
    What a waste of calories, will never do that again. I should have bought an apple.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do know we can naturally crave carbs and sweets when depressed or stressed...something to look at?