Anyone with Diabetes or have dogs with Diabetes?

Options
I can't get my dog to the vet to check her out until next week but I would like some insight from anyone dealing with this.

Recently my dog's sugar has been uncontrollable. Nothing in her diet has changed to make this happen so i am very confused. We did catch her sneaking cat food a few times but immediately removed it. I finally got the night time sugar at a normal level. But in the morning it is dangerously high, but she has been getting the same amount of food and insulin. Nothing extra.

Anyone else ever dealt with extremely high sugar levels in the morning? What have you done to help correct it? I'd like to hear from anyone who currently has Diabetes themselves or have a dog with it.

Thank you <3

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Do you free feed her?
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I work in the pet industry I would recommend feeding raw food. I've had many "clients" either have them correct to normal sugars naturally or at least go on a minimal dose with in a very short time. Good food=healthier puppy (same deal with people)
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My 11yo DD was diagnosed with T1D last July. She takes a "background" slow-acting insulin at night before bed and again in the morning to work all the time, and a fast-acting insulin before meals.
  • AngNY
    AngNY Posts: 193
    Options
    She was taking 10 units morning and night. But for the passed 3 weeks it hasn't been working so I have to keeping raising the dose.
  • AngNY
    Options
    Do you free feed her?

I do not free feed. She eats twice a day. 1 cup of Wellness Core Reduced Fat brand.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I do not free feed. She eats twice a day. 1 cup of Wellness Core Reduced Fat brand.

Is she overweight? Exercise and weight control may cure it - but I know that isn't your immediate problem. I also agree with the suggestion to try to get her on raw food. There are Raw Food forums for animals - check them out. The problem with dry dog food is that it is really high in carbohydrates; so much like humans they will overeat due to insulin sensitivity and lack of nutrients.

When I started eating better, so did my animals. They lost weight, which was an issue.

I wonder if you could feed her later at night to help the overnight spike?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Do you have a treadmill or can you take her for runs - even using a bike or skates? The exercise will be the best thing for her.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    n/m
  • AngNY
    Options

Is she overweight? Exercise and weight control may cure it - but I know that isn't your immediate problem. I also agree with the suggestion to try to get her on raw food. There are Raw Food forums for animals - check them out. The problem with dry dog food is that it is really high in carbohydrates; so much like humans they will overeat due to insulin sensitivity and lack of nutrients.

When I started eating better, so did my animals. They lost weight, which was an issue.

I wonder if you could feed her later at night to help the overnight spike?

She is not overweight. And she is actually on a very good dry food which took me some time to research. Low in carbs, good protein, and natural. Thank you for suggesting feeding her later. I have been thinking of doing this. We are going to try this tonight.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Raw will not make them sick. Dogs are made to eat that way. We have been making kibble for how long and think we have it right but it has caused nothing but problems for them.
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Get her to the vet straight away. If her patterns have changed she needs urgent care.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Raw will not make them sick. Dogs are made to eat that way. We have been making kibble for how long and think we have it right but it has caused nothing but problems for them.

I don't know why the previous poster deleted her comment about raw and immune problems...and I don't know if that's true, but in any event the vet should really at least be told when you switch foods. There is a lot of good information in the Raw Food forums, there are hundreds of threads about it and usually some people on them who are medical (veterinarian) professionals. I think Raw is a touchy subject - and it's a lot like Paleo humans. Some believe it and some don't . The benefit to Raw feeding is they get all the nutrients they are designed to need, and they don't tend to overeat.

The more-meals-a-day she suggested is also a good idea. I would free feed if you're feeding dry food. But then I always have free fed all my dogs and cats. They tend to graze a little all day when you do that - and with a good dry food, they will self-regulate their own insulin a little better I would think. Sounds logical. They naturally tend to take two or three bites at a time every couple hours instead of the big spike meal twice a day because they're starving.

*edit for grammar
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sorry to blow any of this out of proportion - I took my comment down because I'm in vet school right now, and I actually didn't know if it was appropriate for me to be saying anything at all on a public forum about anything related to veterinary medicine - and I don't want to get in trouble with my school.

I will just say that I don't think raw food is inherently bad, I think it can be a great diet for normal, healthy animals, but I think there's also risks associated with it (studies have found higher levels of bacteria in those foods and in the feces of dogs consuming raw foods), and I don't think it's appropriate for all animals.

I will end by covering my butt and saying, talk to your vet about any and all changes you are considering making to your pet's diet. :smile:
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Stop feeding your dog **** from the store. Protein is their main food and fat is secondary. Feed your dog meats. That's what they live on. This garbage on the shelf is full of the wrong macro-nutrients for dogs. Fat does not cause diabetes. Over consumption of the wrong food does. Feed your dog natural sources of protein just like he would be if he was in the wild.

Side note: Us humans are not so different.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    horseplayen,

Thanks for coming back. This site and forums in general all have medical disclaimers on them. At the bottom of this page it says, "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

People post all kinds o' crazy advice here. You are anonymous, you aren't giving medical advice.

That said, I did think about the bacterial issue. Seems that stomach acid ( especially in dogs - who are designed to eat nearly rancid meats ) would kill off any bacterial issues with raw feeding. Also, raw feeding is generally done by small portions of human quality meats. The animal is going to ingest it before it will have a chance to grow any serious colonies.

Regardless, I respect your knowledge and I'm glad you reposted. Feel free to shoot down anything I say. I'm no expert.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I'm interested in seeing how this plays out for your pup. I am a type 2 diabetic, but I only notice spikes in the morning if I've gone off my program the nite before, ie eat something I probably should not have such as a big bowl of pasta, breads, etc. Since you feed the same food consistently, it should show consisten numbers I would expect. I do notice my numbers go down after exercise, so maybe a good walk at night before bed may help. Just a thought. And for sure she's not getting into anything she shouldn't at night? such as maybe the Cat's litter box? :sick: Mine was doing that for a while til I caught him!!

Good luck!
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sorry to blow any of this out of proportion - I took my comment down because I'm in vet school right now, and I actually didn't know if it was appropriate for me to be saying anything at all on a public forum about anything related to veterinary medicine - and I don't want to get in trouble with my school.

I will just say that I don't think raw food is inherently bad, I think it can be a great diet for normal, healthy animals, but I think there's also risks associated with it (studies have found higher levels of bacteria in those foods and in the feces of dogs consuming raw foods), and I don't think it's appropriate for all animals.

I will end by covering my butt and saying, talk to your vet about any and all changes you are considering making to your pet's diet. :smile:

LOL Yes always cover your butt....in these times...one never knows
  • AngNY
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for support, suggestions, and kind words. My dog is back on track with her sugar levels! It took about a 2 weeks to get her there. I guess her body is changing because her regular insulin and food schedule was not working anymore. Although her eye sight is almost gone, she is still the most loving and fun Pit bull ever!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for support, suggestions, and kind words. My dog is back on track with her sugar levels! It took about a 2 weeks to get her there. I guess her body is changing because her regular insulin and food schedule was not working anymore. Although her eye sight is almost gone, she is still the most loving and fun Pit bull ever!

Awwww such a good momma to your pup! Glad to hear things are working out:drinker: