Struggling

Options
Since returning to the gym after a forced 2 week break (illness) I have been really struggling for motivation Before I was going great, cycling everywhere and hitting the gym on a regular basis, but this week has been terrible. I've only been once and i've started eating all the 'bad' foods again. (In total i've not been strict on the diet for 3 weeks now)! And i'm suffering for it, I can tell i've put a little weight back on and generally feel unfit, this in turn is making me eat more and exercise less. I need help in breaking the cycle but don't know what to do.

Replies

• c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can relate! Each day is a new day and you will continue to feel rotten until you get back on the wagon.

You can do this. You were doing it before. The workouts will be hard at first again, but they will get better. :)
  • telt4
    telt4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can relate too! I occassionally have a binge when I just wanna eat all the fattening stuff that I know isnt good for me but I always think tomorrow is a new day. You just gotta take it one day at a time. There are days I dont even feel like getting off the couch but once I get up and start moving Im okay. You can do this, just hang in there. We are all here to support you! Best of luck to you!
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, appreciate the support. It's hard but I just gotta kick my butt
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    Honestly, I had the exact same problem, and it was thus: going to the gym bored me. So much.
    I could get into the swing of it, keep it up for months, actually enjoy it to an extent, but deep down, I just found it dull, and when I fell off the wagon I couldn't get it back on.

So now that spring has sprung, I've been running outside in the morning, making an effort to walk everywhere and I've started pilates. For me it's so much more attainable in the long run. Would something similar help you?
  • doty0815
    doty0815 Posts: 68
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. If you make a bad choice today then tommorw you will know what to do to not make the same unhealthy choices. You can do it we have faith in you.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Do the people in your pic know that you took a photo of them and posted in on the internet?

Or is this a photo you found on the internet? just kinda freaks me out to think that some person would take a pic of me in the gym and post it on the internet.....
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! It is nice to see others are the same. I'm fine, doing well, eating well, making progress and then ONE DAY I slack off and it's all downhill. I serious can't have one 'cheat day' or one 'lazy day' because I do damage for about 2-3 weeks and just can't straighten up!! I wish I wasn't like this, but I am. I guess I just need to face the fact that I can NOT slack off because it can't be an option if I want to be slim and healthy again!
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Do the people in your pic know that you took a photo of them and posted in on the internet?

Or is this a photo you found on the internet? just kinda freaks me out to think that some person would take a pic of me in the gym and post it on the internet.....

Then you don't want to know about all the pages on Facebook where people take photos/videos of others working out unknowingly and share them on there where everyone makes fun of them.
  • Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is so hard isn't it? It is such a high to lose a lb but the minute you gain one it is over and you are back in the slump! Just remember you CAN do this :) once you get moving again it is going to come back to you like an old friend you owe money :) Start slow. If you can't focus on a 30 min work out...do 5 and try for another 5 later. After a few you will feel it :)
  • katie1286
    katie1286 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a 30 day program or something like that. Something that encourages you to go each and every day, knowing that those 30 days will be up soon. Then when that's done, you should be back in the full swing of things and continue to feel motivated!

Just a thought...

Good luck!
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Find something that motivates or inspires you to workout and let that drive/push you when you feel uninspired.
  • 82felicia
    Options
    Find someone who wants to work out with you. I've found that having a partner keeps me motivated...we always "secretly" of course want to out do the other...its all in fun. Best of Luck!
  • mmissnelly35
    Options
    wow..the pic is not the problem..but I truly feel you about the gym, I have not been in months, it is very boring. Something will inspire you, go to the mall buy something really cute, but in a smaller size.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. Stop asking yourself and start telling yourself. Basically, in the back of your head there's a little evil person asking "should I really have chicken for dinner today?" or "Perhaps I should go for a walk?". That voice needs to change to "I AM having chicken today" and "I AM going to go for a walk"...and so on.

I know how hard it can be though. The more goodies you eat the more goodies you want... =/
  • mmissnelly35
    Options

This is not FB
  • susie234
    susie234 Posts: 14
    Options
    Everyone has a bad week (or month :) sometimes. Maybe sign up to walk or run a 5k now that it's spring. It helps me to have a goal, so following a training program helps. If you sign up to train with a group they will help motivate you.
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I know each of those people in that pic, its something the instructor took and no one minds sharing it. Back to tge topic I guess I need to get tough with myself again. No messing about
  • Ashiepie4
    Options
    Remind yourself why you started! Stay focused. Don't let a bad day ruin the future for a good day.

Good luck!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since returning to the gym after a forced 2 week break (illness) I have been really struggling for motivation Before I was going great, cycling everywhere and hitting the gym on a regular basis, but this week has been terrible. I've only been once and i've started eating all the 'bad' foods again. (In total i've not been strict on the diet for 3 weeks now)! And i'm suffering for it, I can tell i've put a little weight back on and generally feel unfit, this in turn is making me eat more and exercise less. I need help in breaking the cycle but don't know what to do.

If you don't want to put the weight back on, then don't. It really is as simple as that. If you don't want to go to the gym, then do something else. Or eat less. You don't need help. You control how much you move and what you put in your mouth.

Perhaps not looking at food as "bad" and "good" would help. Look at it as "often" and "occasional". Unless you are allergic or it is poisonous, it's probably not "bad" to have every now and then.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on the gym thing. I have been going since December, started weight lifting in Jan, and its about the only reason I go, because I got tired of running around the track (what can i say, I love the outdoors its how I started training to run last year) and getting made in fun of.

I started doing ballet dancing again last month and that is because I have an audition next month for technique classes at bgsu. So that helps me have something to practice along with running (I have 5ks coming up) and weight lifting. I do have x train fit and i can't seem to stick with it (not sure why, its not easy but to me i get bored), JM bores me, and have to convince myself that while I love making things such as blankets and pillows and stuff like that (i'm currently working on an easter dress for myself), I need to work out.

I differ in the fact that I don't eat cleanly (I shouldn't say that, i am doing a lot better then what I was) but that is because I am still finding alternatives to things.

Honestly you have to ask if one if you are burned out (it happens), two what is something that you have wanted to try (add something in), and three how bad do you want it? I know I should not be one to talk, but when i tell people that i had a baby almost 14 months ago, they look at me like I am crazy.