Workout Videos without Jumping

Options
Hello all!

I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some high intensity workout videos that don't require jumping. I had reconstructive surgery for torn ACLs in both of my knees: Left 1998, Right 2001. My knees still hurt me from time to time, and I don't do well with workouts that require jumping. I know that I can modify moves, but I thought I would ask if any of you knew of some good, intense workout videos that didn't incorporate a lot of jumping. Thanks!

Replies

• tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi,
    What type of training are you interested in? Pure cardio, weights, a variety??? Most high intensity cardio programs that I am aware of require at least some jumping.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions, but I'm in for the replies. When I was doing Jillian Michaels, I subbed jogging in place for the jumping parts.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out kettle bell work-out videos........don't believe I've ever seen anyone jump while holding one of those.....
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some high intensity workout videos that don't require jumping. I had reconstructive surgery for torn ACLs in both of my knees: Left 1998, Right 2001. My knees still hurt me from time to time, and I don't do well with workouts that require jumping. I know that I can modify moves, but I thought I would ask if any of you knew of some good, intense workout videos that didn't incorporate a lot of jumping. Thanks!

Anything that revolves around more traditional circuit training will be right up your alley. GSP Rushfit only has one single high impact video in the whole series and if you are on the Beginner schedule (different schedules for different fitness levels) you don't even do that one. Also all Chalene Johnson workouts (ChaLEAN Extreme, TurboFire, TurboJam) have a low impact modifier. Kettlebells and sandbag training are also great tools for you, as is suspension training. And of course traditional weightlifting.
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really like Ellen Barrett's videos. Also Jessica Smith has some good Youtube routines without impact.
  • justdowhatworks
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs. The ones with up to 5 miles in a workout will getcha good.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Maybe check out kettle bell work-out videos........don't believe I've ever seen anyone jump while holding one of those.....

They are correct. The Kettleworx series doesn't have any jumping. However, there are a lot of moves that require squatting, so be careful if this aggravates the condition. Overall, I find it to be a pretty fun workout.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sandstone DVD's. I only have the set that goes up to 4 miles though, but it's still a pretty good workout. It's pretty much walking in place (although pretty fast), with side steps, knee ups, kick backs and kicks.

Can you do lunges and squats at all? I started with Slim in 6 and loved it (I'm still doing it actually). The only high impact moves are in the 3rd dvd of the set, and you can just do a non impact version of them (half jacks and running in place for like 20 seconds, basically). But there are a lot of lunges and squats. My knee has been messed up so I've been skipping the lunges and still getting a pretty good workout though.

I have kettlenetics but I haven't tried it yet.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I will look into the kettle bell workouts or Slim in 6 next. I am capable of doing lunges and squats without aggravating it too much. I just don't go as deep as the video people do. :)
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com as well. I think another poster mentioned them. They have KB workouts and high cardio-low impact workouts too!