Something to keep in mind when the scale isn't moving

Options
When I get frustrated that my exercising doesn't seem to be doing anything to the size of my waist, I try to remember this:

"One of the most interesting things about exercise is that it results in important health improvements even in the absence of weight loss. For example, just a single session of exercise can result in improved insulin sensitivity, increased levels of HDL cholesterol (aka the "good" cholesterol) and reductions in plasma triglyceride levels - all tremendously important markers of disease risk." (From Obesity Panacea, one of my favorite health/fitness related blogs: http://scienceblogs.com/obesitypanacea/2010/06/increased_physical_activity_pr.php)

In other words, exercising is good for you, even if you're not losing weight. I think too often we focus on exercising as a way to lose weight, and forget that it's also a way to be healthy and feel good. For me, exercise is as important for those reasons as it is a way of keeping the pounds off.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this along, since it does help motivate me.

Replies

• msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I definitely love love love to excersize 7 days a week now in any form because it makes me have more energy and makes me feel alive! Its just a great boost to my day :bigsmile:
  • bombus
    bombus Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this. I have been getting quite frustrated of late particularly as I'm exercising regularly but seeing no change on the scales. Have decided to not weigh myself for 2 weeks and just go with the flow. Your comments are an excellent motivator and my workouts are definitely feeling easier lately. thanks and good luck with your weight loss!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed that! I just told my PT last night how frustratede I am that the scale isn't moving. I seem to be losing more inches but not pounds. The inches are slow too. As much as I am doing, I should be losing. I walk for an hour 5 days a week, work with PT for an hour 2x a week. Try to do at least an hour of cardio the other days. 1200 calories. NEVER over 1400. FRUSTRATED!!!:grumble:
  • norbel_shumon
    Options
    I needed this today! Thanks
  • safiresp04
    safiresp04 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks! I needed that! I just told my PT last night how frustratede I am that the scale isn't moving. I seem to be losing more inches but not pounds. The inches are slow too. As much as I am doing, I should be losing. I walk for an hour 5 days a week, work with PT for an hour 2x a week. Try to do at least an hour of cardio the other days. 1200 calories. NEVER over 1400. FRUSTRATED!!!:grumble:

Speaking from experience - you're probably not eating enough. If your body needs more fuel to feed your muscles and you're not giving it enough, it won't release the weight. Try eating more - especially on the days when you train the hardest - and definitely increase your protein intake.

MFP sets the protein recommendations waaay too low for someone who trains. Your body needs the right balance of protein carbs and fat to function, heal and release excess weight. Try to aim for 1/2 your bodyweight in grams of protein to start with and work your way up to getting 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight. It may seem overwhelming, but it can be done.

Your trainer should be able to help you with all of this if they know anything. If your trainer can't, check to see if your gym offers nutrition counseling.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    LBN, I had a similar experience several years ago--I was walking 5-10 miles a day, and eating 1200-1500 cal, and actually GAINING weight. You are probably not eating enough. Eating too few calories is just as problematic as eating too many--if you eat too few calories, your body hoards the ones you do eat. If you haven't yet, talk to a nutritionist and ask for their input. Increasing your calorie intake slightly might actually help you.
  • KLCole
    KLCole Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for a great post! It was very helpful!
  • blackchick85
    Options
    Thank you for this post... i had gotten a little discouraged.
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Sometimes I get very discouraged...as i plateaued for a month in a half then FINALLY lost a pound...but i kept telling myself, I have lost 21 INCHES!!! I feel ten times better now that i have muscle, strength, and energy. I keep in mind that it isn't always about the number on the scale but the way you feel and I feel 10x's better just by being active!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have tlaked to her before about eating my exercise calories and she said no. I think i will try that for a week and not tell her. I like her workouts but I don't know if I like her nutrition advice.
  • Fancyfeet
    Fancyfeet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too. I started at a gym on 6/29/10, got a trainer, started working out and watching my diet. I've lost 11 lbs (but they were all in the first 2 wks) and am proud of that, but the scale hasn't moved in a LONG while. I've heard about increasing your calorie intake, but i'm not sure what to add other than protein (which i'm scared will turn to fat if not used). My typical diet is:

Bfast - 1 english muffin, 1 slice of canadian bacon, 1 egg, 1 slice FF cheddar cheese

Lunch - 4-5 oz chicken in a wrap or a salad with lite ranch dressing or mustard

Dinner - 4-5 oz chicken, steamers broccoli and cheese (usually 2 servings)

occassionally I'll have fruit as a snack but my PT told me that will go directly to my belly.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to how I can tweek my diet. I usually try to keep my calorie intake to 1200 (sometimes I don't make that) and I work out 4-5 times a week (2x with PT and other days all cardio)

Thanks for your help!!:wink: