can i average my calories for the week

Options
i have been dieting about 5 weeks. The first 3 i lost a little over 2 pnds a week, which was my goal. Since then I have stayed the same, or gained slightly for 2 weeks. I have been working out 5x a week and burning 800 calories per. I eat 1650 calories a day, except Saturday when I eat and drink about 2500 - 2800. On the week I average out pretty close to 1200 net per day, which is my goal. However, on a saturday I may be 1300 over and tuesday and wed I may be 400 under. Can I average out in this way, or am i screwing up my weight loss and not getting enough nutriets some days

thanks

Replies

• WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi

I ALWAYS worked to a weekly average whilst losing weight and I still do now I am on maintenance. So yes, it works (for me).

However, I used to save calories for special meals out and takeaways, not the healthiest of reasons to work to a weekly average!

Weight loss is a slow process, your body does not just recognize calories eaten in one given day. It recognizes deficits over time.

Keep to a deficit and you WILL lose weight but you have to be honest with your tracking once you've had a few beers!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You only have like 8 Lbs left to lose. 2 Lbs per week is too aggressive with that little to lose and your body is responding accordingly by ***** slapping you with a stalled metabolism. Set your goals to 1/2 Lb per week and continue doing what you're doing. You're simply being too aggressive and your body doesn't respond well to that when you don't have much to lose.
  • thrillhouse69
    thrillhouse69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The booze is a killer, my first sat night on a diet a ate about 3k calories, 2 IPA's cost me 550 and double vodka was only 200 or so. I've cut down on the craft beers,and increased my guiness and heinekin light intake

I have been thinking about decreasing my goal. I am going to decrease my exercise from 5x800 to 3-4x600. Its hard for me to believe that my metabolism has really slowed, but maybe i do need to bump doen to 1/2 a pound per week. Three months just seems liek a long time to stick with this.
  • thrillhouse69
    Options
    i just recalcualted my daily calories based on 1/2 pound per week. It equates to 1,850/day (i am a 5 '11 man that ways 175 pounds). If I assume that I will burn apx 2,200 calories per week working out, I will have an extra 315 calories per day, or 2,165/day. I would still go over this amount on Saturday and probaly cut back to a little under 2,000/day monday - thursday

I admit i never tracked my calories before this, but i would not think they were significantly in excess of this total. Maybe that is the beauty of this startegy that by tracking what you eat you can make some smart decisions and gradually lose the weight, but it does seem a little to easy.
  • thrillhouse69
    Options
    bump
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i have been dieting about 5 weeks. The first 3 i lost a little over 2 pnds a week, which was my goal. Since then I have stayed the same, or gained slightly for 2 weeks. I have been working out 5x a week and burning 800 calories per. I eat 1650 calories a day, except Saturday when I eat and drink about 2500 - 2800. On the week I average out pretty close to 1200 net per day, which is my goal. However, on a saturday I may be 1300 over and tuesday and wed I may be 400 under. Can I average out in this way, or am i screwing up my weight loss and not getting enough nutriets some days

thanks

Yes you can average it by week, on the phone app it even has a cool little weekly chart, which honestly I think shoudl be on the website as well.