10 Weeks to Train for 1/2 Marathon

Options
Hi Guys,

I know I have left this to the last minute. I have 10 weeks to train for a half marathon. I will complete it even if I have to walk some of it, but that won't make me proud, I really want to run the whole thing. I haven't ran in over 6 months before starting back last Mon and Wed (3.2 miles each day).

What is your take on this? Is 10 weeks enough time to train for a 1/2 marathon?

Here is my rough plan:
Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Total
1 3 Rest 3 0 Rest 4 Rest 10
2 3 Rest 4 0 Rest 5 Rest 12
3 3 Rest 4 0 Rest 6 Rest 13
4 3 Rest 5 0 Rest 8 Rest 16
5 3 Rest 5 0 Rest 8 Rest 16
6 4 Rest 5 0 Rest 10 Rest 19
7 4 Rest 6 0 Rest 10 Rest 20
8 4 Rest 6 0 Rest 12 Rest 22
9 3 Rest 4 0 Rest 8 Rest 15
10 3 Rest 3 Walk 2 Rest 13.1 Rest 21.1

Replies

• runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... tricky question. 10 weeks really is not enough time to properly train for a Half if you haven't run in 6 months. Especially to run the entire thing. I know that' not the answer you probably want to hear. Everyone's fitness level is different, so it might be possible, but you really need to be careful to not get injured. You will have to take it slow, and I really would advise you to take walk breaks, both in training and in the Half.

Your plan looks decent, in that you're not increasing your weekly or lung run mileage too quickly. (With the exception of Weeks 4 and 6) However, instead of making up your own plan, I would strongly suggest you follow Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Half Marathon training program. Hal's programs are well known for getting you to the start line of your race SAFELY. And for preparing you to be able to finish. You won't be speedy, but that shouldn't matter to you if you're just getting back into running. Speed can wait.

Here's the link to Hal's plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Good luck, and don't get injured!

Edited to Add: I used Hal's Novice 1 program for my first Half 3 years ago, and it works. I also used his Intermediate Marathon plan to train for the Chicago Marathon last year, and that worked also. His plans are conservative and focused on keeping you injury free so you make it to the Start line. He's well known and respected for a reason.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Another option would be to look into Jeff Galloway. I'm concerned that without a base, you'll get yourself injured. Hal Gigdon is great, but I believe his plans assume you have a base mileage to start, which you do not. Jeff Galloway is a combination of run/walk. Just something to consider.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think those are end of week totals?
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I think those are end of week totals?

Thanks - I realized that after I posted. I edited my post.
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sean0315
    sean0315 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I swear by this FIRST plan. I am not always in the best shape when I start to train for a race (or ever, for that matter), but these plans seem to work, and won't burn you out (since its 3 days/week of running, which is definitely enough).

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/first-half-marathon-training-plan?page=single

Good luck!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I agree with rnnrgrl and tkllion. 10 weeks isn't a lot of time after not running for so long, so don't tell yourself now that it won't be worth it if you walk part of it. If this is your first Half, then you will get a PR no matter what and then when you have more time to train for the next one, you can work on getting another PR.

I did Jeff Galloways' plan for my first Half with running and walking. I highly recommend it.

The only change I might make to your schedule is a 6 mile long run the week before the race.

Good luck and have fun!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well my bf did it in 6 weeks :-) from couch (literally couch) to 13.1 miles in 6 weeks :-) something i do NOT recommend but he finished whole thing without walking. Sure he was sore here and there but he did it :-)
    You can do anything you want to when your mind is set! That being said, listen to your body though because injuries are the worst. You def can be up to 13.1 miles even if you have to walk some of it. Keep to a plan where by the 9th week you are at about 10 miles for your long run of the week (increasing each week by a mile for the long run.. 8 weeks be around 8-9, 7 weeks around 6-8 miles, etc). Mix in walking when necessary but have fun and run the amount you can... if you have a 3 miler planned and can run 5 that day DO IT! if you have a 5 miler (and it's not your longest for the week) wait a day. If it is the long run of the week then push it a little more to reach that extra mileage. 6 weeks was a little Iffy but 10 will give you enough time to definitely finish all 13.1 and then next time you have a goal to start from time wise.

on a side note my bf hadn't ran from that half marathon in beginning of December and then last week ran a 3 miler and a 7 miler on another day.. he's not a runner by nature, as in never did it other than some soccer games in hs not for enjoyment or distance and still doesnt enjoy it (just does it to do a race here and there w/ me) so if he can do it, YOU CAN! as i tell everyone, YOU JUST HAVE TO WANT IT! (then i add but listen to your body to avoid injuries!)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Even if you have to walk a little bit of it, you will be doing better than 95% of America.

Be proud.
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Rngrl - great response! I couldn't agree more. My husband and I run according to Hal Higdon's running program, which really couldn't be more simple for our hectic lives.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

Preparing to run a 1/2 marathon in 10 weeks with no base in place sounds like a dangerous idea. Even if you manage to accomplish it, what will be the price? Injury that takes you out for the longer haul? yikes! No thanks. And me personally, I rather enjoy the race... not be hurting to push through each mile.

There are a ton of races going on all time. What's the rush?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bumping. I have hal higdeon's half marathon training plan novice 1 and after the first week it made me sore to where I couldn't go anymore (mind you though I run 1 to 3 times a week now, with the longest distance being 6.3 miles which was last Saturday, normally I run 1-3 miles), so maybe there might be one out there. I have also been running for a little over a year and tend to love road more then track or treadmill.

And i agree, 10 weeks for training for a race? what's the rush? I am running my 6th 5k next month (its the first one of the 2013 year) and will be happy to finish in under 35 minutes if possible.
  • erikacole
    erikacole Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Even if you have to walk a little bit of it, you will be doing better than 95% of America.

Be proud.

This!!!!
  • deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been training since Jan 1 for a May 5th 1/2 marathon in Pittsburgh. I run/walk at around 12/13 minute mile. I know that some will say that I am really just walking. But I am doing more then the guy sitting on the couch!!!

I was asked to do one one March 30th. I am doing it. I am up to 10 miles right now. I feel that If I have to walk more then run I am still working towards that MAY 5th date to finish in 2:30 hours then!!

Take it slow if you are going to do it!!
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tkillion, too - Jeff Galloway would definitely be a good option for you! Because she's right, Higdon's plans do assume you have at least a little running base. Galloway's plans are also well known and respected. And I TOTALLY agree with the comment to be PROUD of your runs/races, even if you walk, because you're definitely doing better than - like she said - 95% of America! Walking in no way diminishes the accomplishment of completing new distances and being active.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I think your long runs are too long. You are risking injury. You'd probably be ok getting up to 10 mi training before the race. The atmosphere and adrenaline will carry you the rest of the way.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Nevermind.... those are totals not long runs. lol

You can do it. Even if you have to walk :-)
  • CherryBlossom1982
    CherryBlossom1982 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. I'm going to check out the training plans you suggested (Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway sound popular).

Sorry, yes those numbers are the end are the total mileage for each week. I believe if I get up to 11 miles in training then I should be able to do 13.2 miles on the day.

This will be my third half marathon, my first way in Feb 2012 and I had around 6 months to train, I had so much fun running it and was so proud. I then ran my second half in May 2012, I hadn't kept up my training as well and struggled a little through it and didn't enjoy it as much. My PR still stands with my Feb 2012 race. I signed up for the same race this coming May, but with life being hectic at the minute I only got to start training this week (Mon and Wed 3.2 miles each day). My first goal for this race is to enjoy it, unlike last year, while still running the whole race and second get PR. I'm starting to lose sight of the PR but would really like to enjoy it at least.

Thank you all for the remainder, it can be easy to ignore twinges when you are set on a goal. I will be careful to listen to my body to avoid injury in any way possible.
  • CherryBlossom1982
    Options
    k7n2w3, what an inspiring story. Thank you, you have given me hope. I play soccer too :)
  • erikacole
    erikacole Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been training since Jan 1 for a May 5th 1/2 marathon in Pittsburgh. I run/walk at around 12/13 minute mile. I know that some will say that I am really just walking. But I am doing more then the guy sitting on the couch!!!

I was asked to do one one March 30th. I am doing it. I am up to 10 miles right now. I feel that If I have to walk more then run I am still working towards that MAY 5th date to finish in 2:30 hours then!!

Take it slow if you are going to do it!!

I agree! I am a walk/jogger as well!
  • CherryBlossom1982
    Options
    You guys are right, I'm putting so such pressure on this one half marathon. I am going to train as planned but to take the pressure off I'm going to look for another half marathon for after May. This way I can plan a PR for then :)