Working out a night- bad??

Options
So, I have really wanted to start running. Well, start out walking and work up to running. I would love to do this early in the morning before my daughter wakes up, but my fiance leaves the house before even I get up and I can't leave her alone. The only time I would really have to do this is 8pm. I have heard some rumblings that working out at night may not be as effective. Any advice on this? Soon I will have a treadmill and it won't matter as much, but for right now I'm just looking for workout options. Thanks!!

Replies

• MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Some say that it might interfere with your sleep habits but my hubby and I work out after the children are in bed, usually between 8:30 and 9:30 pm, and we NEVER have trouble sleeping. As a matter of fact we work out so hard that we sleep like babies at night.

Hopefully, you will have the same reaction to working out at night. I think as long as I am working out when I can it is netter than not working out at all...

Make it a great day!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out at night, and I've found that it doesn't really affect my sleep patterns. I'm not a morning person at all so I work out after I get out of work, usually around 5:30-6:30pm is my workout time. I know about how much I'll burn so I can plan my breakfast and lunch accordingly so I don't over or under eat. I'd say any exercise at any time is better than none, so whatever you can fit into your schedule is what's best :)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I work out at night most days. Its the only time I can as I can't get out of bed early for the life of me. I don't know about it being less effective than working out earlier in the day. Sure, I'm guessing there are people who will say this or studies or whatever. I would just concentrate on doing what you can, when you can.

Sleep - exercising at night does not interfere in my sleeping.
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I have worked out both in the mornings and at night. I currently do my running first thing in the morning but I find that I have more energy to power through my workout when I do it in the evening (I just don't have time for it now). As long as I work out more than an hour before I try to go to sleep at night, I have no problems sleeping.

As far as starting a running program, I found that the Couch 2 5K program (there is an iPhone app that you can find for it on iTunes) is a great way to ease into a running program. Good luck!
  • caitlin15
    caitlin15 Posts: 28
    Options
    I agree, my sleeping patterns are not affected by working out late! But to answer your question is exercising at night bad or good, I'm not a trainer or doctor so I'm not sure. But I can say that most people say working out in the morning is better because you begin your day by flushing out bad toxins and gearing up your metabolism so that you burn more calories throughout the day and have more energy instead of waiting till the evening. Yet, personal opinion, I think as long as you work out that's all that matters, you'll get results either way!

:D Caitlin
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I work out about 8pm - 9pm at night when I have more energy.

I have read somewhere that if you workout at night you are burning fuel from the food you have consumed during the day (mainly carbs i think), where if you workout in the morning before food the body takes its fuel from your fat stores.

C25k is a great place to start jogging/running the podcasts keep you motivated

www.c25k.com
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I dont think its a bad thing.....its what your schedule allows

Some people after they workout have a natural high from the adrenaline from the working out and may take them a while to fall asleep....but when they do I guarantee they sleep like a baby

Others are so wiped out, they crash immediately

You wont know which one you are until you go for it.......Do what works for you and your schedule
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I work out at night on Thursdays as my "Last Chance Workout" for friday morning and I dont have any trouble sleeping or anything. I would say if that is when you can do it, then do it!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I often do exercise at night as well... though 8-8:30 is about my limit (and I go to bed late). I think the concern is that it could interfere with sleep but I haven't noticed an issue there either. I think any exercise is better than none!

I am starting with walking and trying to move up to running as well. I second the C25K as a great way to get into running... but it seems too much for me right now so I am doing a Conservative C25K instead (7 months to running a 5K versus 9 weeks and much more gradual stepping up of the running minutes)