BMI? Meh...

Options

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    according to the bmi chart, I should look like a bag of bones, because that's how I'd be if I were smack in the middle of the "normal" range for my height.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ticks me off that some people - even health professionals - still use BMI. It's just a dumb number - not taking into account muscle mass or body fat %. Despite the fact that my body fat % is firmly in the "healthy" range and have more muscle mass than at any other time in my life, my BMI still tells me I'm "overweight".
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think the BMI chart is an archaic tool from the World War era. To make it fit to everyone is the biggest error.
  • NotBonJovi
    Options
    B M I = Bull Manure Index
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty accurate. Obviously not for most athletes but for your average joe it's a great guideline
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    according to the bmi chart, I should look like a bag of bones, because that's how I'd be if I were smack in the middle of the "normal" range for my height.

Yep me too
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I think it's pretty accurate. Obviously not for most athletes but for your average joe it's a great guideline

Sorry but I beg to differ. Ive posted about this many times. At 175ish and 5'3 my BMI has me at obese. I am having a hard time getting more life insurance at a reasonable rate because they see me as obese. I'm in a size 10 or 12 depending. Even when I get to my goal of a size 8 I will be in the high level of overweight. I'm currently on day 9 of Insanity. Take it for what its worth but I'm far from obese
  • NotBonJovi
    Options
    Insurance companies need any excuse to charge you more. No wonder they champion this age-old BMI.

Both Brad Pitt and Russell Crowe are termed as overweight or obese by this chart. (Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/nov/28/healthandwellbeing.health1)

The BMI tool needs a serious rethink.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    For the general public I think it is a good guide. IMO there are too many people who now claim that the BMI charts "don't apply to them" which I think is just a form of denial. I can understand that for some it isn't as good of a guide due to muscle mass but honestly the average everyday person wouldn't have to worry about this. Of course this is MY opinion and yes I know some will disagree but the great thing is it really doesn't matter.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's more accurate for women than men, since men typically have more muscle mass.

I'm 6'2", 206 pounds with 15% body fat. My BMI is 26.4 - overweight.

In order for my BMI to be in the healthy range, I'd have to weigh 194. So I'd need to lose another 12 pounds. If I lost another 12 pounds of fat, I'd have 9% body fat.

Is it really necessary for me to go single digit body fat in order to have a healthy BMI? And keep in mind, that's just to creep into the "healthy" BMI range with a 24.9. Crazy!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    according to the BMI chart i am dangerously underweight LOL.
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For the general public I think it is a good guide. IMO there are too many people who now claim that the BMI charts "don't apply to them" which I think is just a form of denial. I can understand that for some it isn't as good of a guide due to muscle mass but honestly the average everyday person wouldn't have to worry about this. Of course this is MY opinion and yes I know some will disagree but the great thing is it really doesn't matter.

I couldn't agree more!
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's more accurate for women than men, since men typically have more muscle mass.

In order for my BMI to be in the healthy range, I'd have to weigh 194. So I'd need to lose another 12 pounds. If I lost another 12 pounds of fat, I'd have 9% body fat.

Is it really necessary for me to go single digit body fat in order to have a healthy BMI? And keep in mind, that's just to creep into the "healthy" BMI range with a 24.9. Crazy!

So, you got pictures of your ripped abs? I'd like to see it.

My point being is how do you know that you have 15% BF? I assume you have a 32" waist at your belly button? That you have 15 or 16 inch arms? Fit to Fat website says I'm at 15.5% BF. My hand held device, set on normal, says less than 11%. I'm 6'4" 180ish.

BMI isn't perfect, but used for a wide range of the population it works fairly well. Each individual may not fit into the model. It doesn't mean it doesn't work over a population. Not that you aren't right and that it doesn't apply to you as an individual, but the fact is most people grossly overestimate their LBM. Every way you test BF%, even the best ones, like Dexascan can be off 5%.
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for 5'3" you ARE obese at 175. I'm 5'9 and 180 and still considerably overweight...despite the muscles mass which there is alot of. Take a good hard honest look at your body and you'll see plenty of areas to trim off the weight and get to a healthier level.
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I disagree.Sorry but this is a touchy subject for me. I at 175 at 5'3 look 20 pounds thinnner than my coworker who at 148 at 5'2 is in the overweight catagory of bmi. Or the friend I have who is in the healthy range bmi and is skinny fat with not an ounce of lean muscle on her frame.
  • ChgingMe
    Options

Im a woman and if I got to the recommend weight for my height according to my bmi. I would need to lose about 30 pounds. I am now in a size 10 or 12 depening more like an 11 if I had to pin it down. a 30 pound weight lose would have me a zero
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    Unfortunately for 5'3" you ARE obese at 175. I'm 5'9 and 180 and still considerably overweight...despite the muscles mass which there is alot of. Take a good hard honest look at your body and you'll see plenty of areas to trim off the weight and get to a healthier level.

Yes I agree. the main one being my belly. but to look at me I am not obese. I am overweight. I am tryng to get to a size 8
  • ChgingMe
    Options

Yes I agree. the main one being my belly. but to look at me I am not obese. I am overweight. I am tryng to get to a size 8

All Im saying is Im not obese. Ill admit that Im overweight. thats why im here. LOL
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, and I meant absolutely no offense by saying that. The distinction between overweight, obese, and morbidly obese is perhaps where the problem comes. Most important is recognizing when your not at a healthy level and striving to get there...no matter where your healthy falls. Just by being here you've started down the right path!