5:2 Fasting Diet

Options

Replies

• Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Kiwidrop, no judgement from me, just my stats and how I'm doing it.

Been doing 5:2 for 6 weeks, have lost 9 lbs.
    Am eating 500 cals in a single sitting (dinner) Mondays & Thursdays
    Am eating to TDEE (around 2200 cals) all non-fast days (though tend to go over on weekends and a bit under on weekdays)
    Am trying to eat withn an 8-hour window on non-fast days (weekdays only)
    Am doing 45 mins cardio 3-4 times a week
    Am 10 lbs to goal (lost the rest of my ticker weight eating 10-15% cut of TDEE from Feb 12 to Jan 13)
    Biggest reason for doing this is for health not weight, but still want to get to goal weight

Hope this helps.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The reason I am not going any lower at the moment is I suffer from migraines which are triggered by not eating regularly so am taking it slowly....

This suggests the 5:2 diet is probably not for you.

... and by not actually following any of the guidelines bascially you are doing a very low calorie cycle, not 5:2 at all. :huh:

Thats like me saying that I'm doing Adkins, except I like to do it every other day and I also eat a huge bowl of oats in the morning because low-carb diets make me nauseous.

I didn't say I was following 5 2 strictly but adopting some of the principles in that I fast from 7pm one night and not eating again until midday the following day.

Edited for fat fingers on my tablet.
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info recent posters (matt..., eld.., alila.., and bssh.). I have never calculated my TDEE or BMR, until today. Really didn't know too much about it before this post. Great to learn something new. Now I need to research Paleo. No idea what that diet is, save that for tonight.

I think I'll stick to the 1210 (5 days) for another week or so, then I might go up to 2000 or more. Still considering since this all balances out differently in my body since my stomach is not the average size. Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm actually listening to an NPR radio podcast that interviewed Dr. Mosely that wrote the Fast Diet about 5:2 diet and so far he has not convinced me that this is a good thing. I can not eat 500 calories, even if it is for just 2 days. I've lost 76lbs from eating whole, (mostly) non-processed foods and working out. No crazy diets, no supplements, just good old fashioned exercise and calorie counting.

Edited to add: Dr. Mosely did indicate that this diet is not for people with health problems (i.e. migraines) or for people that are athletic and burn a lot of calories.
  • kiwidrop
    Options
    Malteaster :smile: you were very clear when you said "my version". Some people just don't like to read everything.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i tried it once but then i couldnt eat 500 calories haha. might try it again soon tho. but yeah you really need to eat normal on other days (at your BMR) for it to have effective weightloss that keeps weight off
  • kiwidrop
    Options
    Thanks dym. I will look that interview up.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

He was on the Diane Rehm show yesterday (3/13). I'm always a day late.
  • kiwidrop
    Options
    Thanks Kennie. I found a way to have 3 low cal meals and a snack on my fast days. It's actually been ok. I'm probably going to check with my doc and weigh all this info for the regular days to see what's appropraite for my normal calorie intake.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I'm really getting a negative vibe from some of these replies. I'm only interested in people's results and experiences, not opinions about how horrible of a choice I'm making and what I want to try.

The reason you're getting negative responses is your thread topic is against the rules.

In case you haven't seen them, here's the part of the rules that this thread violates.

No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
  • kiwidrop
    Options

He was on the Diane Rehm show yesterday (3/13). I'm always a day late.

Same here. Thank goodness for the Internet and On Demand.
  • kiwidrop
    Options

I'm really getting a negative vibe from some of these replies. I'm only interested in people's results and experiences, not opinions about how horrible of a choice I'm making and what I want to try.

The reason you're getting negative responses is your thread topic is against the rules.

In case you haven't seen them, here's the part of the rules that this thread violates.

No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

Sorry to tell you this but there is no promotion here. Just looking for info as I've stated in my initial post and responses Definitely not trying to sway any masses or sell a diet. Maybe you should go back and read what I wrote.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I disagree that intermittent fasting is dangerous or pro-ana, especially if you eat normally on your feast days. The average weekly calories come out to about the same daily amount as recommended on MFP, they're just spread out differently.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 since August and plan on continuing with it even though I'm at maintenance for the health benefits.
    You are not supposed to be restricting on the "5" days let alone severely restricting.

You probably don't want to hear this but I believe 5:2 is completely unsuitable for someone who has had WLS.
  • kiwidrop
    Options
    Thanks for the info sij. I'm 8 years post-op, so I'm not in the same boat as a new WLS person.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it 7 weeks with amazing results.

It's so easy to follow. No special foods and more importantly no banned foods.

I lost 12lbs and my partner 10 lbs. I'm at my goal weight now.

However I do plan our meals carefully to make sure we get all the things we need. Also remember 5:2 is a way of life not a diet. Weight loss is secondary.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Except that what your comments obviously come from a position of total ignorance about what the 5:2 is.

You're eating 500 calories (600 for men) on two non-consecutive days and eating maintenance level for the last 5. The total effect of that is actually around a 3,500 deficit a week. So people doing 5:2 properly are eating no differently to people who set MFP to 'lose 1lb a week' and eating one hell of a lot more than people who've set their MFP to 'lose 2lbs a week' are working on 1,200 a day.

Perhaps you may actually want to read up on what 5:2 is before jumping on a thread again to trumpet that it's promoting unhealthy eating habits.
    It's not the best diet out there is all I can say about it. It's really depriving yourself from what your body truly needs. You need carbs, although they can make you gain weight, you will still need them throughout the day.

I would still prefer Paleo over 5:2 diet any day of the week. A much better option.

5:2 doesn't restrict carbs. You eat what you want on fast days to 500 calories, you eat what you want on feed days to maintenance calories. You're obviously mixing it up with something completely different.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing my version of it but am trying to average out my non fast days at 1400 which is 200 calories below maintenance calories for me. I also haven't been going as low on fast days but basically missing breakfast and cutting down on those days and have hit about 800-1000 calories. The reason I am not going any lower at the moment is I suffer from migraines which are triggered by not eating regularly so am taking it slowly.

I am not sure how long you could keep at it only having that many calories on your feast days. If you search in groups there are a couple of 5 2 groups which may be more helpful.
    Hi, how long have u been doing this? I started yesterday though am on it to lose weight. How much weight have u lost? Am thinking of upping mine to about 800cals on d fasting days, I did well yesterday on like 550cals.
  • Iluvcheezits
    Iluvcheezits Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love 5:2. I finally have something that I feel might work for me. I don't have to think so much, the amount of stress I put myself through just trying to eat appropriately with a family who doesn't want the same foods is enough to drive me bonkers. I'm only in week 1 but I'm liking it so far. 500/fast 2000/regular (and I'm actually trying 4:3 per the 5:2 book)

I love this site but sometimes feel that people are a little too aggressive with their unsolicited opinions - often times without full knowledge of the subject; as it is in this case. These forums are supposed to be a place of support and positive encouragement not snarky comments. If you don't agree with 5:2 then please, why take time to come into this thread and bark about it. Move on, go to a thread that has a lifestyle choice that you agree with. This is a thread for people who want to find out more about 5:2 not others opinions. :tongue:
  • mollyg1280
    Options
    I love this diet (lifestyle)! It's been easy to stick to. The feast days should be around 2000 calories a days though. Don't be so resticitve on the feast days and it will also be easier to stick to because you always look foward to the next day's eating on fast days.

Stick with it!