Fruits in daily diet, HELP

Options
Hello
well, my diet allows me to eat 50g of sugars a day, and the thing is, that according to MFP, a medium sized apple, pear, clementine, or whatever other fruits ive logged, are almost 15-20g sugars each.
i thought that sugars from fruits are healthy and shouldnt count, yet i hit my daily limit after 2 apples and another small fruit?
please help
and thank in advance MFP nation

Replies

• rabidstoat
    rabidstoat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I came to post something similar. I don't get it. My guide recommends 42 grams of sugar. I had a large banana and a large apple today and hit 40 grams. This seems dumb.

Doing some web searches I see recommendations of 30-45 grams of sugar a day but they refer to ADDED sugar. So stuff in fruit wouldn't count. Stuff in processed food, like sugar added to breads and such, I assume would.
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    They are healthy and lower in calories. Apples generally have a low GI so you're fine and don't stress it. Enjoy your fruits and stay within calories but I'd recommend sticking with Apples, pears, etc rather than bananas because bananas are great but tend to have more fructose sugar and more calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Worry less about your macros and more about your overall calories. Sugar from fruits isn't the same as processed white sugars unless you're diabetic.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason that you need to keep an eye on sugar? If not, I really wouldn't worry about naturally occurring sugars. You don't even have to leave sugar as a metric on your diary if there is something else you'd like to track instead.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugars in fruit unless there's a medical issue why you need to watch it. Track the sugar in processed foods.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I largely ignore the sugar total and watch calories for the reasons you mention. I'm no dietician, but I do understand that natural fruit sugars are fine, it s the refined and added sugars that you need to watch. A quick bit of mental maths tells me if I am on the right track. Watch out for dried fruits though, as this has the effect of concentrating the sugar. I also avoid fruit juices and smoothies because it is all too easy to eat the calorific equivalent of 4-5 oranges, or a lb of mixed fruits without the fibre pulp or other goodness that you just wouldn't eat as fresh fruit.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the "sugars". I know I need to have at least two fruits and as many vegetables in a day, and that is what I strive for.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    same as what others are saying: I ignore the MFP sugar suggested intake. I do avoid processed sugar but eat as much fruit as I want. I even removed the sugar column from the tracker.
  • SultanAlush
    SultanAlush Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies
    No, i dont have any medical issues
    So would be it be wise if i just tracked the calories in fruit? And just added them using the "Quick add calories only" option?
    Or should i ignore both calories and sugars?

Thanks
  • SultanAlush
    SultanAlush Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I figure I didn't get here by eating too many apples and bananas. I still track them so I'm aware of what I'm eating but I don't worry about going over on foods that are healthy. It's the processed food and simple carbs I try to avoid. As for calories, some weight loss plans allow unlimited fruit and veggies...that works for some people are not for others. If you have a good, healthy caloric goal, I would still aim for that. But you'd have to eat a ridiculous amount of fruit to gain weight from the fruit itself (since you already said you don't have medical issues).
  • Lemonade2013
    Options
    I have changed the sugar setting to iron, much more important for me.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    fruit should be no more than 10 percent of your calories..... World health
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hello
    well, my diet allows me to eat 50g of sugars a day, and the thing is, that according to MFP, a medium sized apple, pear, clementine, or whatever other fruits ive logged, are almost 15-20g sugars each.
    i thought that sugars from fruits are healthy and shouldnt count, yet i hit my daily limit after 2 apples and another small fruit?
    please help
    and thank in advance MFP nation

MFP's sugar settings are ridiculously low!!! Ignore....especially since the sugar is coming from a healthy source!!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am curious. Why does your diet allow 50gms of sugar, where'd that come from? Fruit is healthy so I wouldn't worry about the sugar from fruit. Unles you have daibetes. But even then 2-3 pieces of fruit are good for you.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do not agree with some of the comments about dont worry about the how much fruit you eat . I think we should, yes fruit is a good thing but to much of a good thing can be to much. Both my nutritionist and my Natural path say to only eat 2 servings Approximately 80 calories a serving and to try and have
    1 Apples
    3 med Apricots
    1 cup of berries like Blackberries or blueberries
    1.5 cup of strawberries or raspberries
    1/2 medium cantaloupe
    15 cherries
    2 fresh fig
    1 whole grapefruit
    15 grapes
    2 cups watermelon
    1 medium pear
    1 large orange
    2 sm plums
    2 sm peaches

They both recommend this list
    and Berries being the top fruit
    hope this helps
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I do not agree with some of the comments about dont worry about the how much fruit you eat . I think we should, yes fruit is a good thing but to much of a good thing can be to much. Both my nutritionist and my Natural path say to only eat 2 savings Approximately 80 calories a serving and to try and have
    1 Apples
    3 med Apricots
    1/2 medium cantaloupe
    15 cherries
    2 fresh fig
    1 whole grapefruit
    15 grapes
    2 cups watermelon
    1 medium pear
    1 large orange
    2 sm plums
    2 sm peaches

hope this helps

I agree, of course it matters how much fruit you eat. And yes you should track the calories in each fruit. (My husband eats a pretty normal diet and a ton of fruit a day and is over weight.)
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies
    No, i dont have any medical issues
    So would be it be wise if i just tracked the calories in fruit? And just added them using the "Quick add calories only" option?
    Or should i ignore both calories and sugars?

Thanks

Definitely do NOT ignore the calories! While fruit is healthy it still has calories and those add up. I would enter the fruit as you have been doing so you can track everything, but remove the sugar column from your view. Go to Food, then settings, then under "nutrients tracked" change sugar to something you'd rather track. I changed mine to iron.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do not agree with some of the comments about dont worry about the how much fruit you eat . I think we should, yes fruit is a good thing but to much of a good thing can be to much. Both my nutritionist and my Natural path say to only eat 2 servings Approximately 80 calories a serving and to try and have
    1 Apples
    3 med Apricots
    1/2 medium cantaloupe
    15 cherries
    2 fresh fig
    1 whole grapefruit
    15 grapes
    2 cups watermelon
    1 medium pear
    1 large orange
    2 sm plums
    2 sm peaches

hope this helps

This is unclear to me. Both of your advisors are telling you to have no more than two servings (measured at 80 cal each serving) of fruit per day, and to that you should try to have that entire list daily????? There is no way that is just two servings and no way that adds up to 160 calories.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on sugar alone just look at hitting your macro for overall carb intake and if you're trying for health not just weight make sure those carbs aren't all coming from refined sugars