Pain when running or advice for a novice runner

Options
Recently I decided I wanted to learn how to run and had my first proper run today.

Don't know what's wrong with me but I can barely run a mile without getting pain in the bottom of my spine. Then I started to get pain in my ankles and it wouldn't go away no matter how hard I tried to adjust it.

Ah so I'm a bit clueless. Is there anything about my body type that makes me not a good runner? I'm bigger on the bottom half (measurements are 36-28-41) so I wonder if it's that. I also have pretty wide feet and I'm using to getting pain in them around the arches when I wear certain shoes. I'm large-framed and have thick ankles. Does any of this cause problems?

Thanks!

Replies

• alohaville
    alohaville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Running takes lots of practice. You need to get the proper shoes that have arch support and lots of cushion. RoadRunner.com has shoes and will tell you which shoes are appropriate for your running style. They are a bit on the expensive side but when you don't know what shoe to get it is a great first source. There may be other sites out there that has advice on the proper shoe for you but you'll have to do the research.
    You will not become a marrathon runner in one day. You have to start off by walking and then incorparating running into the walk. Do it at least every other day. I like to do it daily and I start out by walking a time limit and incorporate running into the walk. Out of an hour of walking I may include running for 10 mins out of that time. Over time you may incorporate more as you lose weight and become more comfortable running. Most importance is consitency. Keep walking every day and soon you will be running more and more. It takes time and persistence. Today I walked for an hour but included 3 - 1/2 mile runs at a 10min pace. Was a good work out for me. I was surprised that i was able to keep up the 10 min pace. Tomorrow I will include 1 mile into my 1 hour walk and see if I can keep the time within 10min. Good luck!
  • montlucia
    montlucia Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks. I will try that and get the shoes. I'm so hoping that the shoes will make a big difference!
  • mabupi
    mabupi Posts: 15
    Options
    FYI, it's roadrunnersports.com, I went to a random news site first trying to find it using roadrunner.com. Thanks for the tip though! =)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second (third) pp advice on taking it slow and getting fitted for the right shoes. You may also be leaning to far forward when you run, putting a strain on your back. Try to be totally upright, as if a string is being pulled out of the top of your head.

Running is great, you may wish to look at Couch to 5K (C25K) for an "ease-into-running" program.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I used to run by coming down on heal and rolling foot forward, which causes a lot of strain on knees. Look up "prose" running. It is a little difficult to get used to, but far less strain on the knees, and seems more efficient. I ran 6 marathons using prose form.
  • qt2shoes
    qt2shoes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do some warm up exercises before you run as well. If there is a running group in your area get in touch to see if they have a 5 Km running clinic or group. The information you get at one is amazing. Don't give up :-)
  • montlucia
    montlucia Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your tips have been helpful. Bought some running shoes today and in the shop, they put me on a treadmill to analyse my running pattern. When I was on the treadmill, I noticed that proper shoes really do make a difference.

I have been stretching before and after I run so I don't think that's a problem.

@patent guru - Super intimidated by your level of fitness. Have you always been a runner? Is a marathon achievable for any person with the right training? I looked up pose form so will work on that too.

I have been running a lot with my head down - somehow think I'm going to fall otherwise (strange, I know). But I will resist that temptation the next time I try running.