I Need shoe advice!

Options
I am new to running and I curently own some Addidas ClimaCool shoes. I really liked how light they felt & how cool they kept my foot while running although they seem too big in the toe box. i am considering getting something new as I am concerned with injury and foot pain. Any shoes out there for newbies that don't want to spend $150?

Replies

• shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am really liking the new balance minminus shoes. The fit my feet like socks almost. I would go and try them out at least.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted at a running store (not a big chain). You can expect to pay around $100 for a pair of shoes (it is well worth it). If you are really strapped for cash, you can get fitted, then look online for last year's model/colors (often they don't change much between versions).
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    I am new to running and I curently own some Addidas ClimaCool shoes. I really liked how light they felt & how cool they kept my foot while running although they seem too big in the toe box. i am considering getting something new as I am concerned with injury and foot pain. Any shoes out there for newbies that don't want to spend $150?

try and get last seasons of whatever you find you might be successful with!! worked for me, found last season Newtons for 70$ --- normally 180$
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hard answer, cuz everyone's foot is different. I went out my very first time to a specialty shop and had them do all the analyses. They narrowed me down to Sauconys. I bought them there once (spendy) and now I just find what I want on the internet on sale.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I am really liking the new balance minminus shoes. The fit my feet like socks almost. I would go and try them out at least.

I just got these and I love them so far. It was a strange adjustment to run without any cushion, but the run felt really good. They are definitely not for everyone but worth looking into if you're interested in minimalist shoes.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd get fitted if I were you. I love my New Balance Minimus running shoes, but I mainly wear them for weight lifting or short intervals (i.e. no more than 20 minutes).
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Try the SKORA Forms www.skorarunning.com #runreal
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks running shoes!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    if you're going to be running on a regular basis I STRONGLY recommend that you go out to a running shoe store where they measure your gait, pronation and such. I started running on some standard cheap running shoes I bought at a big 5 and I thought the back pain and knee issues were part of the normal process, until I got fitted for a support/stability shoe for slight overpronation. HUGE difference, I could run longer and harder, pain free. I currently run on a pair of Brooks
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you want light and smaller in the toe box, Nike Free Runs fit the description, although I cannot recommend them as running shoes. They gave me shin splints and offer nothing in the way of support; these are so-called minimalist shoes. They work for some people though.

I just went to a running store to get fitted for a pair and came back with Mizunos, the Wave Creation 14 model. I have a narrower foot, and they fit snugly. They do cost $150, but from the reviews I understand that they are pretty much unchanged from last year's model except for colors. So you could look for Mizuno Wave Creation 13; they should run you a bit over $100.

I'll definitely agree on the suggestion to get fitted for shoes at a running store, though. Just be honest with them and tell them what your budget is. And don't feel pressured into buying something that's more expensive.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    rykas
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted at a running store (not a big chain). You can expect to pay around $100 for a pair of shoes (it is well worth it). If you are really strapped for cash, you can get fitted, then look online for last year's model/colors (often they don't change much between versions).

this exactly. I just got saucony progrid 5 for $58 online - it's a $110 shoe - because progrid 6 came out. I did try the 5 on in a store first (where it was still $110).
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started running a little over a year ago and although I didn't want to pay the high price tag for good running shoes, I am happy I did and would recomend getting fitted at a running store. I wear Asics foundation. I have flat feet and over pronate (it really stabilizes my foot). I now run 5-7 miles 5 days a week. I wear a whole size bigger than my regular shoe. I found out the hard way that not enough room in the toe box ends up with losing toenails, ingrown nails and pain.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Go get fitted properly. You might not actually need to fork out for expensive shoes. I started running a little under a year ago and got some Nike trainers, on sale, for £80 (not sure what that is in $, sorry!), when I went to get some new ones in September I got fitted and it turned out because I have stupidly high arches all I needed was a pair of £20 basic trainers and some £25 insoles, and I was going in prepared to spend around £100 again so I saved half that just by getting my feet measured. And I've had fewer injuries and problems with the cheap ones :) Just go get measured and see what's right for you, you may need expensive ones, but then again you may not, and who doesn't want to save money?
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I went to ****'s Sporting store, they had a pair of Puma shoes on sale, I got them for like 28 dollars when they were 150 ish
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Okay, that was D I C K's sporting...it got censored lol
  • alohaville
    alohaville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to Roadrunnersports.com and use the shoe dog. you can then go to an outlet and get the shoes on discount. what i do!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Okay, that was D I C K's sporting...it got censored lol

This just made my day.