Anyone else having trouble with upping calories?

After reading quite a bit on here about 1200 calories being too little, I decided to up my calories to about 1550 per day.
I've been doing so for the past 3 weeks, and have yet to experience any weight loss.
Previously I was eating around 1200, sometimes even a little less and the weight was coming off nicely, around 2 pounds a week.
This is my third weigh in date that I haven't recorded any change since then.

I haven't changed my diet much, just have allowed larger portions on healthy choices.

I'm fairly sure I've made up my mind about lowering my calories to 1200 again. I just don't think my body loses weight on an over-1200 calorie diet.

Has anyone else had this trouble?

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Me too. Upped them to about 1450...gained some back. I'm at 1300 now. We'll see how it goes. I also kicked up my workout times though.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    After reading quite a bit on here about 1200 calories being too little, I decided to up my calories to about 1550 per day.
    I've been doing so for the past 3 weeks, and have yet to experience any weight loss.
    Previously I was eating around 1200, sometimes even a little less and the weight was coming off nicely, around 2 pounds a week.
    This is my third weigh in date that I haven't recorded any change since then.

I haven't changed my diet much, just have allowed larger portions on healthy choices.

I'm fairly sure I've made up my mind about lowering my calories to 1200 again. I just don't think my body loses weight on an over-1200 calorie diet.

Has anyone else had this trouble?

If you were losing 2lb per week on 1200, then an extra 300 calories should not make you stop losing. It takes a 1000 calorie defict to lose 2lb per week, so even with an extra 300 cals you would still have a 750 deficit which should be 1.5lbs per week.

Did you have a gain at first when you went up? I would have expected a gain due to the initial water weight and carb/glycogen replenishment.
  • pl37
    pl37 Posts: 2
    I lose weight at 1300 calories a day. Anything more and I stay the same or gain. My metabolism sucks :(
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    everyone defaults to eating more cals will give you a weight loss....not true for everyone....If 1200 cals was getting you results..stick with it until you hit a plateau..I think upping cals works for when you almost at your goal weight
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    depending on how long you were eating at 1200 calories, your BMR may have "reset" itself to a lower level than it should have in order to be able to consistently function at such a low number. now you've surprised it by giving it more than it was used to, and it's adjusting. you need to give it a full 4-6 weeks before you drop back down, especially to something potentially harmful. search the boards; there are tons of stories about people who stopped losing or even gained when they first upped their calories and then just started seeing the weight melt away.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    now that i look at your diary, where exactly are these 1500 calorie days? i see nothing above 1300.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    now that i look at your diary, where exactly are these 1500 calorie days? i see nothing above 1300.

I agree. ^^^^^^ Where the heck is the 1500 calories....mostly I see below 1200 calories, you actually need TO EAT MORE!!!!!! :grumble:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

I looked back 3 weeks. Most days were 1100 and change or lower. You have 4-5 days where you actually get just over 1200.

Eta - are you exercising?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Could it be that we need to subtract 500-600 calories from what you stated to get to what you're really asking? I went into February and looked at seven consecutive days in your diary. Your net for those days was:

for an average of 652 calories per day. Nobody here is going to say, "Hell yeah, go back to averaging 650 calories--those 250-330 days are especially awesome!" You need to fuel your body. If necessary, talk to a professional about how much you eat and get some advice before this turns into a serious problem. If it's already a serious problem, don't wait. Please get some help.

Best of luck.