What do the % of Carbs, Protein and Fat represent in P90x?

Options
robinp00
robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
I was reading through the nutritiion guide and noticed that the other approach to the P90x nutrition instead of following the meal plan. If I use level 2 nutrition guidelines, my diet is broken down as follows:

2420 Calories
180 carbs
300 protein
53 fat

Is that amount of protein really appropriate? I only weigh 152 lbs and I can't imagine taking 2g of protein for each lb of body weight.

Is anyone else using this approach? How have you felt after consuming that amount of protein? I am using whey protein isolate wtih 90% protein per serving.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    a large amount of that protein will just end up being used as fuel in the absence of some of your carbohydrate intake. IMHO they overdo the protein in P90X, but it's not really harmful (assuming you end the nutrition plan after the P90X routine is finished), it's just a different way to eat. Unnecessary as far as I'm concerned, but not really an issue.
  • mmkioshi
    mmkioshi Posts: 1
    Options
    Monitor how your body feels with all that Whey protein. You may want to alternate with a soy based protein if you feel bloated and gassy, speaking from experience.
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Monitor how your body feels with all that Whey protein. You may want to alternate with a soy based protein if you feel bloated and gassy, speaking from experience.

I should've clarified that - I'm consuming about 100g of protein per day from food sources, but the balance is from the supplement. What kinds of soy based proteins do you recommend? I try to have a packet of edamame beans every day or two... is that what you're leaning at?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The general requirements for protein are .8 grams for every KG.

So take your weight, divide it by 2.2 and then multiply by .8.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    If they don't require you to have that much protein in your diet and appear all scientific about it, how are they going to convince you to buy the recovery drink and shakeology??? :bigsmile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Really?

At 114 lbs...that gives me 42g protein a day...my diary is set for 80 and I get that easily most days...

am I doing something wrong? Or is my math wrong? :huh:

Let me know...I don't wanna screw this up! I am light weight training 3 days a week and running three days a week, for the most part....
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Really?

At 114 lbs...that gives me 42g protein a day...my diary is set for 80 and I get that easily most days...

am I doing something wrong? Or is my math wrong? :huh:

Let me know...I don't wanna screw this up! I am light weight training 3 days a week and running three days a week, for the most part....

.8 g/kg is the generally accepted minimum (actually a little below the minimum as it's about 11%), you can do all the way up to 1.1 grams /lb (2.42 g/kg) if you like (that's about 30% of your daily calories), I usually do about .9 g/lb myself, but I'm actively trying to build muscle. Anything more than 1.1 and you're essentially not helping (in most cases, there are a few very specific cases that it may help with).
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    Your carb count looks pretty good but your protein is definitely high. And that's coming from someone who eats about 225 grams of protein a day.

I would lower the protein intake to about 200 and raise your fat intake to about 80-90. When doing intense excercise your body NEEDS that fat for all kinds of things.

P90X takes a almost fanatical approach to fat. Fat is good if its the right kinds...i.e. peanut butter, avocados, whole milk, etc.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

.8 g/kg is the generally accepted minimum (actually a little below the minimum as it's about 11%), you can do all the way up to 1.1 grams /lb (2.42 g/kg) if you like (that's about 30% of your daily calories), I usually do about .9 g/lb myself, but I'm actively trying to build muscle. Anything more than 1.1 and you're essentially not helping (in most cases, there are a few very specific cases that it may help with).

Thanks Banks! So my 80 is halfway between the 2 extremes so it should be about perfect for me! I feel better now...heehee...

(And GO RED SOX!!!! :drinker: )
    :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Thanks Banks! So my 80 is halfway between the 2 extremes so it should be about perfect for me! I feel better now...heehee...

(And GO RED SOX!!!! :drinker: )
    :flowerforyou:

nice!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was reading through the nutritiion guide and noticed that the other approach to the P90x nutrition instead of following the meal plan. If I use level 2 nutrition guidelines, my diet is broken down as follows:

2420 Calories
    180 carbs
    300 protein
    53 fat

Is that amount of protein really appropriate? I only weigh 152 lbs and I can't imagine taking 2g of protein for each lb of body weight.

Is anyone else using this approach? How have you felt after consuming that amount of protein? I am using whey protein isolate wtih 90% protein per serving.

My understanding of the rationale for such high levels of protein is actually to show you the effect of increasing your carb intake from a low base. The idea is that after 4 weeks of very low carbs, you substitute carbs for protein and get to really feel the increased energy levels. The second 4 week period in p90x actually has a much more balanced diet (still high protein, but not as obscene as the first 4 weeks). The last 4 weeks is actually quite high carbs, and they explain that if you're actually doing rigorous exercise, that's where you ought to be.

50% protein in general is way too high and can cause health problems if you keep it up. It wont be an issue for a month or so, but make sure you don't stick with it past phase 1. There's no real need to stick with it that long if you find it a problem. I only maintained that for 3 weeks, then went straight to the phase 3 diet (or thereabouts) because it suited my needs better.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

2420 Calories
    180 carbs
    300 protein
    53 fat

My understanding of the rationale for such high levels of protein is actually to show you the effect of increasing your carb intake from a low base. The idea is that after 4 weeks of very low carbs, you substitute carbs for protein and get to really feel the increased energy levels. The second 4 week period in p90x actually has a much more balanced diet (still high protein, but not as obscene as the first 4 weeks). The last 4 weeks is actually quite high carbs, and they explain that if you're actually doing rigorous exercise, that's where you ought to be.

50% protein in general is way too high and can cause health problems if you keep it up. It wont be an issue for a month or so, but make sure you don't stick with it past phase 1. There's no real need to stick with it that long if you find it a problem. I only maintained that for 3 weeks, then went straight to the phase 3 diet (or thereabouts) because it suited my needs better.

OK, I actually don't have a huge problem with that logic, although it's something of a self fulfilling prophecy IMHO, if you EXPECT to have huge energy increases, you'll probably feel any energy increase as a huge increase and therefore validate the thinking. But if that's truely the reasoning, that's fine, I also don't have a problem with a month of 50% protein, I just don't think it will help at all (besides the above realizations I guess) and it will hinder you if you are doing anything else besides P90X that requires High intensity stuff (for instance, you couldn't do that low of Carbs and do very well at intermediate on one of my boot camp routines).