Can someone help the newbie? :)

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new and am very serious about losing weight! Could someone tell me if eating about 1000-1200 calories a day is safe? I exercise twice a week (only about 30 mins cardio and hard work on weights) and I would like to lose serious weight for both my health and appearance. I have been eating 1000-1200 for the past 5 days.

I am 22 and weigh 235 pounds and am 5.3 (I know, I'm a chubster!)

Also if there are any people out there around my weight and want to diet, lets join forces!

Replies

• ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They recommend to eat at least 1200, esp when you exercise..
  • leeleesull5192
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 21, 5 foot 4, and weigh 222 pounds. And I am definitely serious about losing weight and changing my appearence
  • superbeacon
    Options
    Hey there!

First of all, you are gorgeous! And good for you for wanting to improve your health. I'm right there with you, sister :)

I would follow the calorie recommendations here on MFP (the ones that were calculated for you when you entered your info and fitness goals). I don't know how healthy it is, long-term, to severely reduce caloric intake. I'm 5'3" just like you, though, and I eat within that range (1000-1200), sometimes even less, per day! I feel like I eat loads because I eat so many raw veggies and greens.

It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start. I think the the most important thing is to listen to your body. If you feel absolutely horrid after eating 1000-1200 calories for a few days, don't feel like you are locked in to some imaginary standard! Be patient with your lovely self and you will find the range that's right for you. Good luck!!
  • angela60564
    angela60564 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new too! Well I signed up two years ago and that was the extent of my visit here. :)

I have been on this journey a long time and I am finally seeing some results but lately I have hit a bit of a lull again.

We are all shorties! I am 5'1 - I started "losing" at 240. My highest weight ever. I am now at 182. I have been averaging around 800 calories lately and I think that is why my progress has stalled. I am trying to beef up my calories to at least 1100 and hoping to jumpstart "winning" again! You have to eat (right) to lose... I think we are trained to think less is best but that's not the case all the time.

Make smart choices - you got this!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new and am very serious about losing weight! Could someone tell me if eating about 1000-1200 calories a day is safe? I exercise twice a week (only about 30 mins cardio and hard work on weights) and I would like to lose serious weight for both my health and appearance. I have been eating 1000-1200 for the past 5 days.

I am 22 and weigh 235 pounds and am 5.3 (I know, I'm a chubster!)

1000 calories is not a healthy amount for you. Your body needs (and deserves) better than that. .

For reference - I'm 41, 5'2", 154lbs and I'm eating on average 1600 calories per day (1300 plus my exercise calories) and still losing about a lb a week.

If you undereat, you are doing your body a disservice, and making this a lot harder than it should be.
  • alexeye11
    alexeye11 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 is wayy too low. I'm gonna break down everything you need to know about calories for you :)

There are 2 magic numbers. Your BMR and your TDEE. I plugged in your info into a calculator and heres what i came up with for you. :)

Your BMR is the number of calories your body needs to function. Your weight/height/age is used to determine this. Your BMR is 1864. You need to eat AT LEAST this many calories to be healthy and keep your body from slowing down your metabolism (I've been there).

Your TDEE is the number of calories you burn throughout the day doing normal things (ex. sitting, digesting, sleeping etc.) Again it is based on height/weight/age. Yours is 2237. This means that in order to MAINTAIN your weight, you should eat this many calories a day because that is what you burn.

Now to find the number of calories to consume daily for optimal weightloss we cut 15%-20% from our TDEE. Make sure this number is higher than your BMR and lower than your TDEE. So for you I'd suggest 15% to start.

To figure all this out I used this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Now you can leave your activity level as desk job/little or no activity and just log all your exercise on MFP. If you put anything more than little or no activity, you might be double dipping into your calories if you log your exercise as well.

So this leaves you with a daily calorie goal of 1902! Yay! This might seem like a big number, but its actually a 335 calorie deficit. Which is perfect.

Also make sure your NET calories on here are at least your BMR :)

So basically if you eat less than your BMR (1864) you risk slowing down your metabolism, being tired all the time, and many other side effects that really arent worth it. I was eating around 200 under my BMR and I've been plateaued for 3 weeks and counting. I had to increase my calories to try to fix this and I'm hoping i didn't mess it up too bad! We'll find out.

Weightloss is not something we can speed up if we want to be healthy . It took time to put on weight and it takes time to get it off. So be healthy, eat right and you will get closer to your goal everyday! :)

I hope this helped. Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:

EDIT: I've noticed some people saying that she's doing the right thing by eating 1000 calories. Just wanted to say. NOOOOOO. please don't listen to people saying this. It is very unhealthy and will only lead to gaining the weight back very quickly after. There is no perfect number that applies to everyone. That's why we use calculators to figure out bmr and tdee. It's science. "Listening to what your body tells you" makes no sense. Your body doesn't want to lose weight, or look sexy. Your body wants to survive, so it wants you to eat as much as possible to cling onto fat. You have to find the balance. Feel free to send me a messgae if you have more questions. Just please don't listen to people saying "I'm new too and i'm only eating 1000 calories and it feels right!" NO. Trust me.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating too little is that you risk your body going into "starvation mode" and hoarding its fat. This makes losing weight harder. There's a great calculator for figuring out the right number of calories for you and your goals at http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm
  • daisydress
    Options
    I'm new too - just joined last week! I've had my share of weight losses and gains, from "healthy" to "obese" (I really don't like the BMI - it's not friendly to short folks like me - 5'4"). I can tell you from personal experience is that the only way to maintain a healthy weight loss is by doing it safely. Definitely stick to the 1000-1200 calorie range. And as superbeacon said, listen to your body - if you're really hungry eat a little more.
    You may learn that you need to intake more calories daily but offset it with more exercise. Just don't beat yourself up if you go over some days! Tomorrow is another day.
    I'd be happy to be a buddy - I'd love to have some added encouragement myself!
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I am pretty similar (right now 236, 5'5")... I have been eating about 1310 calories, plus eating back most of my exercise calories. I am thinking about upping it like one of the above posters mentioned. I can't say I am a model of success (10.5 pounds since 1/1)... plus gaining and losing probably 20 of the same ones over and over again... but this time it is going to work!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    10.5 pounds since 1/1
    ~1lb per week is totally a success!

I'd say that upping calories is still a good idea. 1310 is likely below your BMR. Good luck!
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi

Welcome, I'm only new myself but I have find this site is a great tool.

One thing I have found in years of dieting is whatever you do to be something that is sustainable. A lifestyle change to educated yourself what is good for you what your bodies needs are and the triggers why one indulges to stop "dieting" or become overweight. Lower cals are great in the short term but I would wonder if you were getting enough of what your body needs and if you can keep on going with it. Also with low cals your body gets use to it and becomes very effect not to lose weight as it goes into "starvation mode". I would suggest to go by the guides of cals to have by this site and just to lose slowly but surely. I know we all want to lose all our weight yesterday but in reality we need to be able to keep on going in a healthy way constantly to get to our goal. I think finally I've learnt these lessons and am ready to push on.

I'm 288 and if you like add me and hopefully cheer each other on our journey to success! :)
  • daisydress
    Options
    The problem with eating too little is that you risk your body going into "starvation mode" and hoarding its fat. This makes losing weight harder. There's a great calculator for figuring out the right number of calories for you and your goals at http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm

Thanks for the link - this formula is very helpful!
  • byefathellonewme
    byefathellonewme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hello i am also new and looking to loose waight i am 5 3 and 215 maybe we can work together i would like to have some people close to my in weight also so we can work together and give on another suport looking forward to hereing from you
  • byefathellonewme
    byefathellonewme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also am 29, 5 ft 3 and 215 looking for some people to work weight loss with me it makes it much nicer when people are about the same boat as you
  • 808nyc
    808nyc Posts: 1
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I just started today!. It's amazing how everything add up when you track it here on this website. Good luck!
  • NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as well. I am not new to this yo-yo dieting journey but I am still struggling. I am happy to provide any support I can!
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a little while now and am just starting to add friends now. Still have a long way to go... Feel free to friend request me.
  • glittercatbaby
    Options
    Hi welcome! I'm also kinda new. I think the calorie intake is good for you! and I'm glad you are determined!!! keep it up! I'm super happy I joined. I really like it. It has taught me to be more aware of the foods I eat :)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I found the only problem with eating that little to begin with is you will eventually hit a plateau. Yes, the weight will come off quickly, but that is not always good. You want to allow your body to adjust slowly, if you start out at 1200 when you lose, you can't take off any more calories from that.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I was eating 1400-1600 calories a day and losing weight and I was close to your size and weight. I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 1200 calories without medical supervision, but if you are just starting out, I'd recommend a little more until you get used to eating less. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857137-for-the-newbies-here-is-what-losing-80-pounds-is-like