Options
Does anyone have any success stories? Please support me haha

Thanks,
Megan!

Replies

• saralayne42
    saralayne42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's a really great program! I just completed the dreaded Week 5 Day 3 (20 minute jog). The program is very gentle and really helped me increase my endurance.
    Good luck!
  • FITmrsroe
    FITmrsroe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week. I hate running, I'm hoping this teaches me to love it. It's not easy and whenever I want to quit running and start walking I just keep thinking "anyone can do 10 seconds of running, just 10 more seconds." that normally gets me through. Best of luck to you! I hope that we can both become runners!
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started last fall and quit when it started getting dark @ 4 pm outside will start again In April. Best of luck to you... You got this!
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K success story! When I started C25K four years ago, I had a really hard time running 60 seconds - it felt like forever and was really, really hard. I only stuck with the program because I noticed the "intervals" of running were helping to speed up my weight loss (I was just walking before). I followed the program religiously. Some weeks were really hard, and I remember thinking while I was in Week 6 that Week 7 would be impossible. But the program works and I was able to complete Week 7 just like the program said. At the end of the program, I did indeed run a 5k - my first race ever (at the age of 34). I ended up falling in love with running after that 5k, and this past October I completed the Chicago Marathon. 26.2 miles of running! There was a time not too long ago when running a marathon was like climbing Mt. Everest - something that "other" people did, that I would never be able to do, that I thought was amazing and completely impossible. But I actually did it. And now I'm training for my second marathon. And it all started with C25K. So yes, C25K works - it's a great, safe program to turn you into a runner! Good luck!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Take your time moving from week to week.
    Listen to your body.
    Learn the difference between "can't" and "won't".
    Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, as much like normal as possible.
    Take it slow. You do not need to be sprinting, just getting both feet off the ground.
    Do not eat immediately beforehand, and watch your liquids. Jostling in the stomach can cause all sorts of unpleasantness.
    Wear real shoes.

There are probably dozens of other tips, but these are the ones that come to mind. Best of luck and try not to trip.
  • megannnn15
    megannnn15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You all are amazing and very encouraging, thank you so much.

MY FIRST DAY WAS A SUCCESS!

I do have one question:

So the Days/Weeks go Week 1; Day 1-3. Do I run three days straight and then take four day off until the next week? Does it matter? Is it something I should just listen to my body on?

Thanks again for all of your experience, encouragement, and well wishes!

Megan!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I also just started this program. Just did the Week 1 Day 2.. I am pretty sure they say to do it every other day. I felt like today was a lot easier than Day 1. I now realize how out of shape I really am. But I am hoping this makes the fat melt off my body.

Good luck to you, we can do this together..

I just hope the weather stays getting nicer, because I refuse to walk/run in the cold/rain/snow.. ect...
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I've done for myself.
    I went from barely being able to run for 5 minutes at moderate speed to running 39 minutes straight in week 6 at 5.5 mph.
    Resting and max HR both have decreased by about 20 beats/min.
    It's been awesome.
    Feel free to add for motivation both ways. Love new friends on here!
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just listen to my body.
    If I think I can do days in a row, I do.
    A couple of the weeks, I added extra days doing those intervals because I didn't feel ready to move on.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I was 270 pounds and decided to start C25k, having never run before in my life. It was hard work, but I pushed through and did it.

I'm now about 80 pounds lighter, and I run 5k at about a 7:00 - 7:30 min/mile pace on a regular basis. I usually run 5 days a week now. Today, I ran 5 miles at a 7:12 min/mile pace. I've never felt better in my life.

GO GO GO!!!
  • robertbixler3
    Options
    I was going to start this program myself this week, but got derailed with an ankle problem for a couple of days. Glad to hear the first day went well. I know of a couple people who have done it and it worked wonders for them, most did not run days in a row though, but too a day off in between. Good luck to you!
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner at all and I'm on W3D2 about to do D3 tomorrow. I do C25K on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and walk 3-4km on the days off and rest on Sunday. I'm loving it.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am a success story! Finished C25K 2 years ago and am now training for my second half marathon. Listen to your body. I stuck to the 3 times a week. I have since added, but it was a good start for me.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I started doing C25K a few years ago off and on. I was never a runner so I hated it at first but eventually got to the point where I could run for 20 minutes. It felt like a great accomplishment considering I couldn't run for 5 minutes when I started. Now, a few years later, I can run for much longer and will be doing a 10 mile race in May! It's a really great program and eases you into running.

I do have one question:

So the Days/Weeks go Week 1; Day 1-3. Do I run three days straight and then take four day off until the next week? Does it matter? Is it something I should just listen to my body on?

Megan!

I'm so glad your first day was a success. When I first started C25K a couple years ago I would take a day off between the walk/run if I felt I needed it. Depending on your current fitness level you might not need to do that until the more difficult sessions start. It's entirely up to you though!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any success stories? Please support me haha

Thanks,
    Megan!

I started c25k exactly this time last year..I am actually going to run my first marathon a year to the day that I finished the last day of c25k.

You are embarking on an incredible journey!!!

Get a decent app for your smart phone, and proper running shoes...don't worry about your speed, just focus on the distance and love every minute of it!!

Feel free to add me, I LOVE my running friends who inspired me from c25k to a marathon....and I'm OLD!! lol

good luck, stay true to your training and have lots and lots of FUN :-)
  • gkcimino
    gkcimino Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old and never ran a day in my life! Last year I lost 60lbs with MFP and needed to set myself a fitness goal for 2013. I decided to run a 5k this year and started the c25k for treadmill program sometime in January. I faithfully did the program 3 days a week with rest from running in between (I usaully added in Zumba orhip hop class). I am happy to report I took to the track this past weekend and ran 3 miles straight both saturday and Sunday. I plan on keeping up with running on the treadmill when the weather is cold but when it is above 45 I'm heading outside. I have schduled my first 5k for May 18th and I am so excited
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am a success story, too. When I started C25K , I couldn't even run the first week without modifications. I initially ran 30 seconds, walked 5 minutes. I was THAT out of shape. I spent the first few workouts questioning my decision to start the program and wondered why anybody would run for fun. My knees hurt, my back hurt, my shins hurt, and my heart and lungs felt like they were going to burst, but I stuck with it and got results really quickly. Within a few weeks, I felt stronger, my breathing was easier, and my legs felt lighter. Long story short, since February 2011 (when I started the program), I have ran in 2 fun runs, 3 5ks, 1 10k, and 2 half marathons. I love the way I feel after a run and the fact that it helped me shed 55 lbs along the way. Good luck to you. Just stick with it!
  • shaylan_
    shaylan_ Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Listen to your body for sure, but I'm finding that taking a day between each running day is helping me stick to it. I just started last week, and I finished week 2, day 2 today. I am doing yoga/strength/other cardio on the off days and taking one full day off per week at this point - that may change later. I was really sore after my first day, and the yoga helped with that. I am the type who would wind up quitting if I did it every day. I would feel overwhelmed, so the days off from C25K are essential.

I'm not a success story yet, but talk to me in another 7 weeks.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I do have one question:

Megan!

NO :noway:
    You only run three days a week, every other day and an extra rest day.
    If you want to cross train do weights or yoga 2-3 days a week.
    I finished C25K and now am continuing with 10K Trainer.
    I went from barely running 30 seconds to running over 20 minutes straight.
    I have my second 5K on Saturday.
    Good Luck to You.:flowerforyou:
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump it