Diagnosis of PCOS :/

Options
After trying to get pregnant with no success I went to my doctor about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I go the news that I have PCOS. What does this mean for my weight loss? What do I do? How can I continue to lose weight or do so in a better way with PCOS? Any helpful advice, tips, explanation is welcomed. I'm a little overwhelmed with all this. Thanks!

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Did they say if you are insulin resistant or not as well? If so they may put you on metformin. I have PCOS but am not insulin resistant and have lost 183 pounds it hasnt stopped me. If you are insulin resistant some members who are both PCOS and insulin resistant I am sure will post some advice :)
  • sphillippe20
    sphillippe20 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not insulin resistant. That level was fine.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I'm on birth control to regulate things. I'm losing weight, although a bit slower than others. I suggest reading The Ultimate PCOS Handbook. I read it when I was diagnosed and found it to be really helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-PCOS-Handbook-Fertility-Self-Esteem/dp/157324371X

Good luck!
  • sphillippe20
    sphillippe20 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will check it out, thanks!
  • srdress
    srdress Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look into a low glycemic diet. http://www.pcosnutrition.com/links/blogs/have-pcos-and-not-losing-weight-it-could-be-your-gi..html

Two tips I found while browsing online about PCOS and a low-GI diet:
    - Cook pasta al dente, don't overcook it (I looooove pasta, can't give it up!)
    - Incorporate 1 tsp cinnamon into your daily diet as it helps maintain blood sugar levels

I've been diagnosed with PCOS too. I've got the typical belly fat that I am trying to bust! While I'm not on metformin I may look into it if diet/exercise don't seem to work, but I'm giving that my best effort first.
  • glitteringloke
    Options
    lucky for you, you're on MFP and there's a community for us cysters! it's called P.C.O.SIS, come by. there's a ton of topics and lots of ladies that are willing to help out
  • xtina1129
    xtina1129 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have pcos ( for 16 yrs) , I also have glucose intolerance, insulin resistance, and an underactive thyroid. Metformin, and low carb diet helps. Watch the fruits too.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS--
    with weight loss, I've found it difficult & slow,
    but not impossible.
    Cutting my carbs/sugar helps a lot.
    Good luck. <3
  • xtina1129
    xtina1129 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ask your dr about clomid and hcg shots to help conceive. Good luck!
  • becnaffine
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS after trying for over a year to get pregnant. Three kids later....... Anyway with weight loss yes it is known to be harder with PCOS but I have found it ok. I am what is classed as a slim PCOS'er. I found that controlling your sugar levels helps ie don't gorge on sugary foods so your insulin spikes.
    Metformin helped me a lot while I was trying to conceive.
    Now that I have lost 10 kilograms and am eating a lot more healthier (clean eating). My symptoms have pretty much disappeared. I have no acne and my periods are becoming more regular.