Rocking Abs

Options
"To work the abs or not work the abs" - that is the question.

I have some fitness gurus I follow who say to work the abs daily. They are the only muscle group which can be worked daily, of that I am sure

However, does it do me any good to work them? I have fat to lose, so I have a layer over my abs as I type this. That said, if I work them will it make that area look slimmer from muscle growth? I tend to carry weight in my core region while the rest of me can get to a complimentary toned. I do plan on losing the fat, but will it do me any good to work them in the meantime? I have been trying to lose the fat for years, I may never lose it. I also know I can't spot reduce fat, but I do think appearances can change regardless from working an area.

My former personal trainer told me and the others not to work out abs, because it was a waste of time. He said we work them enough during our other exercises. I believe he "knows his stuff" because at 52 he had won many fitness competitions in his younger and current days. He now trains people who compete. They are also winning.

However, as I said many fitness people I follow work the abs daily, Jillian Michaels is one.

What do I do?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think you will get more benefit from compound exercises...

I work my abs about 30 to 45 minutes a week which is like one to two sessions...

You really need to melt off the layer of fat that is covering them and then they will show.

however, everyone is difference so when they start to show you might have to work them to make them "pop"

hope this helps....
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I
    hope this helps....
    It does. Thank you!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Work them if you want abs, nothing more to it than that.

They are a muscle so they do need rest just like any other muscle group.

But I have inches of fat right now. Should I wait to work them and spend time on other fat burning exercises? My stomach looks bad, I just wondered if building muscle NOw would make them appear smaller or make them bigger (muscle under fat) or really neither.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

But I have inches of fat right now. Should I wait to work them and spend time on other fat burning exercises? My stomach looks bad, I just wondered if building muscle NOw would make them appear smaller or make them bigger (muscle under fat) or really neither.

i would say burn first then see how they look then work them out ..IMO
  • bmwauug
    bmwauug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Planks are a great ab workout.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I do like... 6 sets of abs a month (usually at the end of a leg workout if I feel like it, most times I don't).

I find my abs are worked plenty doing stuff like compounds (more specifically pull-ups, dips, deadlifts, front squats, OHP, lunges aka compounds where you're not sitting down). Do whatever you want though if you want to do 40 sets of abs at the end of your workout go ahead I'm sure there's somebody out there who does that and has amazing abs.
  • SeattleScrambler
    SeattleScrambler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Putting how ab exercises might make your stomach look aside, there are some great benefits to adding a core routine to your workouts. Core stability helps posture, improves balance, and makes some day to day activities easier . If you have back problems, focusing on core strength training could reduce some of the pain. I say go for it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Working them now will help your posture, which will affect how your waist looks.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Putting how ab exercises might make your stomach look aside, there are some great benefits to adding a core routine to your workouts. Core stability helps posture, improves balance, and makes some day to day activities easier . If you have back problems, focusing on core strength training could reduce some of the pain. I say go for it!

Agrees with this 110%. I don't think of it as Abs work but core work. I do them several times a week at home and inline with my cardio days. A good core work out "works" and it shows.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Great info on the idea of working my core. Some stuff seems so simple that I kick myself for not thinking of it. I admit, I never thought of that. My next question is, besides the exercise mentioned ( planks) are there any others that any of you recommend?
  • LunasTheLimit
    Options
    Hey hon, I have many inches to melt off before I can see abs. However, I started working my core 8 weeks ago and it seems like the muscle there draws the fat in more instead of just having it all hang out. :-P If I am going to go out somewhere, I'll do my core routine and it draws everything in. :-)
  • LunasTheLimit
    Options
    I do standard planks, elbow planks, side planks, and what we call up, up, down, downs which is hard to describe. Superman, bicycles, leg lifts, scissors...
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Hey hon, I have many inches to melt off before I can see abs. However, I started working my core 8 weeks ago and it seems like the muscle there draws the fat in more instead of just having it all hang out. :-P If I am going to go out somewhere, I'll do my core routine and it draws everything in. :-)

Good to hear. Thanks so much.
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    Honestly, losing the sheath of fat over the abs is more important than the exercise. Remember that you have perfectly defined muscles everywhere on your body...they're just not necessarily visible because of what is over them. You can work the hell out of your abs, but if you're carrying too much flab, all you'll get is stronger muscles you can't see.

Not saying ab exercises aren't VERY important, just that losing that fat over them is the key first step.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i have been wondering the same thing..so bump
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Honestly, losing the sheath of fat over the abs is more important than the exercise. Remember that you have perfectly defined muscles everywhere on your body...they're just not necessarily visible because of what is over them. You can work the hell out of your abs, but if you're carrying too much flab, all you'll get is stronger muscles you can't see.

Not saying ab exercises aren't VERY important, just that losing that fat over them is the key first step.

haha, then I am screwed, bc i can't figure out how to lose fat. All I know is that when I lift, I lose inches. I guess that is losing fat, right? I always heard abs were made in the kitchen and not the gym.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I am one of those crazy people who love to work abs. I developed this love through cross-body exercises. My favorites are any variation of a plank (arguably the best abs exercise out there.)

Spiderman Planks - While in a straight arm plank position (push-up position) bring your right knee to your right elbow and then go back to plank. Repeat on other side.

Crossover dumbbell plank - While in straight arm plank pick up a 20# dumbbell with your right hand and reach under your body and move the dumbbell as far to the left as possible. Then pick it up with your left hand and move it as far to the right as possible.

Mountain Climbers are excellent for abs while working your legs.

Push-ups are a fab ab workout - two (three or four) for the price of one.
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    Negative! They are probably just your weak area...no worries, they are also mine. The thing is to discover what point at which the little *kitten* come out to play. For years and years, I always thought a good weight for me was 192 pounds. After getting up to 205, I hit this weight again 4 months ago but looked like...well, *kitten*. So I decided to really concentrate on weight loss instead of lifting. Did more martial arts and yoga and less iron, and really paid attention to my Fitbit & how much I ate. Now I'm 177 and they are starting to appear. So maybe it's just a question of finding a "magic number" for you?
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    A very good reason for strength training your abdominal area is that muscle increases your metabolic rate. Having a strong core is imperative to strength training. It prevents injury and increases your stamina and recovery. Plus working out your abs creats a girdle under the skin essentially pulling your core in tight for stability.

As far as time goes... don't spend your gym time on it. Not necessary.
    - When watching tv don't fast forward through the commercials. Try to hold a plank for as many commercials as possible.
    - Waiting for something to finish cooking and just standing around the kitchen. Do pushups holding the counter. Hold your abs tight.
    - Do 10 burpees anytime you look at the clock and it has the number ten in the time.

Abs are fun!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options
    Wow! Great advice everyone. Thanks so much. I am really glad I asked.