Need Ideas for "Salad Type" Recipes

Options
mommy2ans
mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
I have finally gotten back on track. I am trying to think of other "salad type" recipes that do not necessarily contain lettuce. For example, i was thinking something such as bell peppers, cucumbers, and vidalia onions with a little light italian dressing mixed together might be good.

Does anyone have any other combinations they enjoy that they would like to share?

Replies

• cuteduck223
    cuteduck223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy slicing tomatoes and cucumbers, and having that as an option. sometimes i put a little zesty italian dressing on them, but usually i just eat the combination :)
  • Jessie1810
    Options
    Last night I made a cold "salad" with fresh green beans, red bell peppers, zucchini, with a little bit of feta cheese crumbled on top. For a dressing, used red wine vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Really good!
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    I like cucumber and melon salads for the summer. Chunks of cucumber with watermelon or honeydew and cantaloupe, with sliced red onions and a balsamic vinaigrette. Also, tabbouleh salad is a favourite around my house...
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Tomato and cucumber salad is a favorite of mine from a long time ago. The trick for it is really, really ripe and flavorful tomatoes, plus good-quality vinegar. Salt & pepper, a little garlic and/or onion if you want. And don't omit the oil--a teaspoon or two of good olive oil really adds to the flavor. Let it sit for a while to produce lots of liquid, which is excellent when soaked up with a little bit of good, crusty bread.

Lentils and rice also make a good base for salads. Add in chopped fresh mint and parsley, cucumber, tomato, lots of lemon juice, a little salt, pepper, and olive oil, and it's really tasty. Good with some feta or goat cheese too, if you want.

Cold noodles can also make a good salad base. I like rice noodles because they have a good texture, but cold spaghetti will also work. Add in some diced tofu and scallions, and dress with soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger, or with peanut sauce. Both are really good.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i just made an amazing salad!!

1 cup spinach
    1 cup romaine lettuce
    cherry tomatoes (halved)
    cucumber
    && i crumbled feta cheese on top =]
    some black pepper..
    and toss a bit.... DEEEELICIOUS!

now id never have this on its own... so i also had
    Nature's Own - Sandwich Thins 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll 100cals
    sliced cucumber
    more feta
    a couple of spinach leaves
    and a boca burger (veggie)

this was my lunch!
    soooooo filling, colorful and only 258 calories!!!

Lunch
    Nature's Own - Sandwich Thins 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll 100
    Boca - Original Vegan/ 1 Point - Meatless Burgers, 1 burger (99g) 70
    Dole - Romaine Lettuce, 1 cups 8
    Generic - Feta Cheese, 1/8 CUP 45
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup 7
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices 8
    Tomatoes (Cherry) - Cherry Tomatoes, 5 tomatoes 20
    total:: 258

(usually id have 10 baby carrots as well which is only 53 calories.. but im out of them today)
  • mom2mykiddos
    mom2mykiddos Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like chopped broccoli, carrots and celery, tossed in a bowl with 1TB lite ranch dressing and topped with a small amount of turkey pepperoni or bacon bits. I add feta cheese, sometimes.
    It's very crunchy and takes a while to eat, so it's very satisfying. :o)
  • mom2mykiddos
    mom2mykiddos Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i just made an amazing salad!!

1 cup spinach
    1 cup romaine lettuce
    cherry tomatoes (halved)
    cucumber
    && i crumbled feta cheese on top =]
    some black pepper..
    and toss a bit.... DEEEELICIOUS!

now id never have this on its own... so i also had
    Nature's Own - Sandwich Thins 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll 100cals
    sliced cucumber
    more feta
    a couple of spinach leaves
    and a boca burger (veggie)

this was my lunch!
    soooooo filling, colorful and only 258 calories!!!

Lunch
    Nature's Own - Sandwich Thins 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll 100
    Boca - Original Vegan/ 1 Point - Meatless Burgers, 1 burger (99g) 70
    Dole - Romaine Lettuce, 1 cups 8
    Generic - Feta Cheese, 1/8 CUP 45
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup 7
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices 8
    Tomatoes (Cherry) - Cherry Tomatoes, 5 tomatoes 20
    total:: 258

(usually id have 10 baby carrots as well which is only 53 calories.. but im out of them today)

Yum!!!
  • jeniam
    jeniam Posts: 13
    Options
    I absolutely love avocado's so I am always experimenting with them. A good cold lettuceless salad would be avocado (cubed), tomato (cubed), mushrooms (sliced) and a mild salsa (I use homemade salsa that is heavy on the cilantro) and seasoned with crushed black pepper and a sometimes salt (I'm not a big salt eater). This is excellent on a wrap with some leaf lettuce but also good all by itself. A few turkey bacon crumbles would probably be really good with it, too although I've never tried it.
  • paulettelimae
    Options
    bump
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have finally gotten back on track. I am trying to think of other "salad type" recipes that do not necessarily contain lettuce. For example, i was thinking something such as bell peppers, cucumbers, and vidalia onions with a little light italian dressing mixed together might be good.

Does anyone have any other combinations they enjoy that they would like to share?

I used all those things in with spaghetti squash for a faux pasta salad.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options

I have 2 that I do but they're similar. The first is cucumbers peeled and sliced and thinly sliced red onion, rice vinegar (I don't use the seasoned version), and a teaspoonful of honey. I combine the honey and vinegar seperate so the honey dissolves fully before pouring it over the cucumbers and onions.

The second is Cucumber, peeled and chunked, tomatoes chunky diced, red onion sliced (I like thicker slices in this one), 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese, and a teaspoonful of ranch dry powder stirred together. Sometimes I add pickled beets sliced up into this one too for a little sweet punch :).
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I absolutely love avocado's so I am always experimenting with them. A good cold lettuceless salad would be avocado (cubed), tomato (cubed), mushrooms (sliced) and a mild salsa (I use homemade salsa that is heavy on the cilantro) and seasoned with crushed black pepper and a sometimes salt (I'm not a big salt eater). This is excellent on a wrap with some leaf lettuce but also good all by itself. A few turkey bacon crumbles would probably be really good with it, too although I've never tried it.

That sounds divine for a day where I have a good amount of calories to spare (I am a sucker for tons of avocado and would probably go overboard!)
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i like grapefruit sections with spinach. you can dress it up with chunks of chicken or add sliced radishes for a peppery tang.
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    Bump:happy:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Salad
    6 servings

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    1/2 red pepper, chopped
    1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
    1/2 orange pepper, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    2 Tbsp minced red onions
    2 cloves garlic, mashed
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions
    Toss everything together in a salad bowl and serve.

Nutritional Info.

Calories - 151.5
    Total Fat - 6.2 g
    Saturated Fat - 0.8 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat - 0.5 g
    Monounsaturated Fat - 3.4 g
    Cholesterol - 0.0 mg
    Sodium - 7.8 mg
    Potassium - 97.7 mg
    Total Carbohydrate - 19.2 g
    Dietary Fiber - 5.5 g
    Sugars - 3.5 g